Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #131

Re: Ford E-Series Van HID Projector Retrofit lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL
mkiracer,

I agree, the FX-R projectors do appear to have a wider and likely more defined cutoff, but the additional 2-4+ hours worth of labor makes the upgrade a tough sell. Another difficulty is needing the intended vehicle to be present to make sure the projectors are mounted and aligned correctly before final bonding. This seems reasonable for the DIYer or enthusiast on a one time basis, but not too realistic unless we all have stock vehicles that are very close in manufacturing tolerances. With that said, I will still build up a set for my van eventually to see for myself.

The led housings and retrofits are surely the wave of the future. Morimoto is set to release their version of the bi-led retrofit and it will be very interesting to see the output and power consumption differences compared to the standard MH1 setup. With large OEM companies pushing the LED trend, it won't be long until LED retrofits are the norm.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
I haven't seen the difference in person. From what everyone says (on the forums) the beam pattern on the FX-R is wider. When I did the retro on my Tacoma, I just went with their standard kit and it was wide and bright enough for me. I could see where a wider beam pattern would be beneficial to some but it wasn't worth the extra work and customization for me to do.

It looks like TRS sells led housings from new cars that have high/low/running lights. That would be pretty cool to see modded in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL

mkiracer,
different subject.....have you seen the MH1 and FX-R outputs in person side by side? I am interested to see if the FX-R is really worth the additional hours of labor in terms of output and beam pattern. I am very familiar with what TRS says they will do, but experience is sometimes different. Thanks

I've had both and also used to live a few minutes drive away from TRS in Atlanta so ive seen almost every setup. The new FX-R 3.0 have an extremely wide beam pattern and really defined cutoff pattern compared to the H1's. It really does take a lot more effort to install them in these housings and I would tell any of your potential customers that the extra price is worth it. I rushed my install and didn't take the extra time to get them perfectly aimed so mine shoot wide. Eventually I'll redo them when I have time.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #132

I never said I didn't like scott as a person, his parents and himself were very enjoyable to spend time with while scott was doing the install. the reason I was upset was the first time I drove my van one mile in the dark, right light went out. I was leaving on a ten day trip up north with other friends and we were planning on leaving in the early mornings to travel to other places at a certain time, which I wasn't able to do because of darkness and only having one light. Called scott cut trip short and went to his house to fix light. ten minutes later scott fixed it went back home. Few months later same light went out, scott send me new ballast and I went to a shop and had it installed, still didn't work. called scott and asked for help, his response was I spend enough time and haven't made a penny on you! he told me to try a few things but he new from day one I told him unlike many of the very knowledge people on the forum I do not know the first thing about working on my van. I was willing to drive to his house when he had time and would pay him to make it right. scott told me maybe I should find someone who knows what their doing and I should spend more money to buy a better product that has a lifetime warrenty. that why I have made my comments about scott and his attitude. I have retail stores and if my people treated my customers that way, they would be fired and I would have been out of business 20 plus years ago. thanks for all your comments! c ya!
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #133

I just ordered a set. Looking forward to being able to see down the road at night!
Petrolburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378
I never said I didn't like scott as a person, his parents and himself were very enjoyable to spend time with while scott was doing the install. the reason I was upset was the first time I drove my van one mile in the dark, right light went out. I was leaving on a ten day trip up north with other friends and we were planning on leaving in the early mornings to travel to other places at a certain time, which I wasn't able to do because of darkness and only having one light. Called scott cut trip short and went to his house to fix light. ten minutes later scott fixed it went back home. Few months later same light went out, scott send me new ballast and I went to a shop and had it installed, still didn't work. called scott and asked for help, his response was I spend enough time and haven't made a penny on you! he told me to try a few things but he new from day one I told him unlike many of the very knowledge people on the forum I do not know the first thing about working on my van. I was willing to drive to his house when he had time and would pay him to make it right. scott told me maybe I should find someone who knows what their doing and I should spend more money to buy a better product that has a lifetime warrenty. that why I have made my comments about scott and his attitude. I have retail stores and if my people treated my customers that way, they would be fired and I would have been out of business 20 plus years ago. thanks for all your comments! c ya!
So are you going to say what the other guy did to fix your issue? Was it a ballast? A bulb? I think part of the issue is that with your limited ability to work on your van, you are depending on other people to fix anything and everything that comes up. Unfortunately with anything aftermarket, there can be issues that arise and tinkering is part of the game. Did the guy that fixed your lights also fix the moisture issue?
Old 10-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #135

He will soon be on the forum to explain issues problems and products.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378
He will soon be on the forum to explain issues problems and products.
@Berns378

If you are unable/unwilling to work on your van as you said. I would suggest you don't bother with aftermarket hobbyist vendor products.
This is a forum for people who LIKE to work on their own vans.Often when modding a vehicle beyond stock specs unforeseen issues can and will arise requiring creative thinking and fixes.
Slamming a hobbyist vendor in a place where he is well known to have good and unique products simply makes you look to be a fool and a Jerk.
Im sure redoval is not going to be retiring on his headlight proceeds and does this for a slim margin because of his love for "the hobby"
Disclamier I do not know/work for Redoval and I do not have his lights , yet.. Just feel you are being unfair.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #137

I own several properties and automobiles, when I hire someone to paint a car or remodel my house because I think they know what their doing, I do not expect them to turn around and say steve, this is not working out like I expected, I have encountered some problems that I didn't expect, so I am going to have to ask you to try and figure things out even though I know your not a contractor or a mechanic but even though you are willing to pay me for my time, you need to find someone else. I don't think I am being a fool or a jerk just frustrated after six months of problems. I did have a shop put my old stock lights put in like scott requested for me to do. no problems for two months. went back to shop had scotts lights reinstalled, two weeks later driving at night, same light out. time to move on. c ya!
Old 10-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #138

He only builds the reflectors. He has no part in designing the electronics only supplied for convenience therefore he is not responsible for their problems.
If his reflectors fell apart then yes his fault. If a light goes out it is electrical not of his doing.
There electrical gremlins that can and will pop up with vehicles . It can be frustrating but this is a hobby and part and parcel of being involved in it.
There are commercially available headlight systems for these vans called truck lights , they are very bright and led. Maybe try them instead and sell your reflectors to someone else...?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #139

Oh boy this one is turning into a real soap opera ....
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #140

OK... berns has said "c ya" twice now. Hope so, but suspect he will just keep on going on and on till he wins.