Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2023, 09:08 AM   #691

Garage
All- DRL systems are quite variable and are intended to operate a standard halogen bulb at lower operating voltage (and correlative output) than with the system activated by the "on" switch. Most systems work fine but a few do violate the low voltage threshold for aftermarket lighting systems. Disabling the DRL system solves this issue as all operation is then handled by the standard headlight switch. If DRL is required the headlights can be simply turned on during operation.

Apologies for the late reply here....apparently my notifications of thread activity hasn't been working properly.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics.com
Vantageoptics@gmail.com

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #692

Garage
March is here and it's time to start getting those rigs ready for spring travels. Use code "MARVOSMB" to save 10% on all purchases this month. Be on the look out for new products like our Gen2 BiLED headlight kit for 92-07 Econolines!

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics.com
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
Old 03-08-2023, 10:30 PM   #693
Ldo

For the 2008 up Econoline, how are the VO sealed beam projector setup (black plastic shrouds) compared to the LED projector setup (all glass) in terms of light output and overall beam patterns?

I currently have the all glass light housings on my 2012, but want to swap them out for the sealed beam type.
Ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:27 AM   #694

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldo View Post
For the 2008 up Econoline, how are the VO sealed beam projector setup (black plastic shrouds) compared to the LED projector setup (all glass) in terms of light output and overall beam patterns?

I currently have the all glass light housings on my 2012, but want to swap them out for the sealed beam type.
The larger one piece composite lights outperform the sealed beam setup many times over. They use a larger projector that allows for a stronger and wider output. The sealed beam kits use a 2.5' projector due to the limited space available. They also require modifications to the metal mounting buckets to allow fitment.

My personal opinion.....if you are debating between the two go with the larger composite and option them to do what you want (paint/shrouds/etc). The LED kit is also much easier to install as it does not require any additional relay harness. It should be noted that both of these kits outperform any version of improved bulbs or bulb/housing combos many times over.

Larger composite LED kit-
https://www.vantageoptics.com/shop/2...ghts-p97762057

Installation video-
https://youtu.be/kqU63uRYmdQ

Smaller Sealed Beam Kit-
https://www.vantageoptics.com/shop/V...Kit-p366168373

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics.com
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
Old 03-09-2023, 02:47 PM   #695

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
My personal opinion.....if you are debating between the two go with the larger composite and option them to do what you want (paint/shrouds/etc). The LED kit is also much easier to install as it does not require any additional relay harness. It should be noted that both of these kits outperform any version of improved bulbs or bulb/housing combos many times over.
Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics.com
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
Scott, I looked at the Gen2 BiLED set you have introduced...I'm in no way displeased with the upgraded version of the 97-07 Vantage Optics HID I currently have (has the Morimoto D2S 5.0 Projectors, and Morimoto XB50 50w D2S bulbs), but can you clarify if I'm interpreting this wrong; reading the comment (above) from your previous post are you disclosing the LED version is a stronger beam than the HID?
I'd be amazed if I was overthinking this (since that rarely happens anymore these days), but would you mind revealing your personal opinion to help guide me - between the upgraded HID & your new LED, which do you believe is better?
I'll order accordingly.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:09 PM   #696

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Scott, I looked at the Gen2 BiLED set you have introduced...I'm in no way displeased with the upgraded version of the 97-07 Vantage Optics HID I currently have (has the Morimoto D2S 5.0 Projectors, and Morimoto XB50 50w D2S bulbs), but can you clarify if I'm interpreting this wrong; reading the comment (above) from your previous post are you disclosing the LED version is a stronger beam than the HID?
I'd be amazed if I was overthinking this (since that rarely happens anymore these days), but would you mind revealing your personal opinion to help guide me - between the upgraded HID & your new LED, which do you believe is better?
I'll order accordingly.
Two-
I was referring to options for the 2008 and newer van front end. When it comes to the 92-07 Econoline lights there are both HID and LED options. The Gen2 BiLED kit is obviously an LED low/high 2.5" projector and is the only LED unit we are currently fitting to the 92-07 platform due to available size. The 3" lens Morimoto MLED units are amazing class leading performers, but are simply too large for the older housings.

With that being said, the D2S HID kit you are running is also a class leading setup. Being HID, the bulbs do deteriorate the xenon gas over about 3 years so replacing the bulbs is recommended for max output.

There is no doubt that LED technology is improving very quickly, but for now the only real difference between the LED and HID kit is the installation complexity. The LED kit is very easy to install and doesn't require a relay harness like the HID kit. The HID setups do allow for bulb color flexibility that the LED does not. We spec 5000K bulbs for the HID and the LED is around a 6000K color (slightly bluer/cooler).

I'll state once again that variances in DRL systems can possibly result in spotty headlight function, but this is related to a low voltage strategy used by the DRL module to reduce the daytime output of a halogen bulb.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics.com
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
Old 03-09-2023, 04:07 PM   #697

Garage
Good stuff Scott - Thanks for clarifying!
So, If I read between the lines here the DRL system would/should not have any effect on the LED version (Since they operate on less AMP's) - Correct?
And the light output & beam patters between the LED & HID for the 92-07 are minimal at best (making neither one a more desirable choice - other than color output) - correct?
Old 03-13-2023, 11:01 AM   #698

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Good stuff Scott - Thanks for clarifying!
So, If I read between the lines here the DRL system would/should not have any effect on the LED version (Since they operate on less AMP's) - Correct?
And the light output & beam patters between the LED & HID for the 92-07 are minimal at best (making neither one a more desirable choice - other than color output) - correct?
The DRL system would have a negative impact on any aftermarket lighting if the minimum voltage requirement wasn't met. In terms of output, both are on par with one another and share the same current draw. The only real difference is the warranty procedure and the ability to service the ballast/bulbs independently.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics.com
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
Old 03-15-2023, 08:53 AM   #699

Radio Interference?

Hi Scott,
Have you tested the LED headlights for FM radio interference? I retrofitted a set from "super bright leds" onto my wife's Mazda and it made the FM radio useless when the lights were on with massive static interference. I tried some snap on Ferrite core cord rings which helped, but still not enough. I ended up swapping Halogens back in and she's happy again.

I hope this didn't come across as a dunk in any way. I'm sure you make a high quality product based on the many happy customers here on the forum. When I'm ready to pull the plug on a set, I want to make sure I buy it once and buy the best. Whether that is LED or HID remains to be seen. Thanks!
ManBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:58 AM   #700

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBro View Post
Hi Scott,
Have you tested the LED headlights for FM radio interference? I retrofitted a set from "super bright leds" onto my wife's Mazda and it made the FM radio useless when the lights were on with massive static interference. I tried some snap on Ferrite core cord rings which helped, but still not enough. I ended up swapping Halogens back in and she's happy again.

I hope this didn't come across as a dunk in any way. I'm sure you make a high quality product based on the many happy customers here on the forum. When I'm ready to pull the plug on a set, I want to make sure I buy it once and buy the best. Whether that is LED or HID remains to be seen. Thanks!
I have not heard of any radio interference issues since starting the project. I am personally running the LED lights on my van and have no complaints for any systems interfacing issues.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics.com
Vantageoptics@gmail.com