Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #11

Garage
Re: Ford E-Series Van OEM Steering Damper Kit

For those who missed the article in the Work Truck Review magazine...

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/chassi ... e-350-van/

Scott

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #12

This is just the sort of thing I was looking for on my 2WD SMB (which a friend now owns). I never wanted to try to figure it all out at the dealer, and even after reading some threads wasn't sure what to get. This kit would have solved it all for me!

I now have a different rig (still 2WD E-350) and I'm not sure if I can use this. I have a Safe-T-Steer mounted on it (took the place of the original Ford "shock" for steering). Do you know: does the STS do the same type of thing such that your kit would be redundant for my rig now? As you can tell, Ford steering is somewhat of a weak point in my mental knowledge base. My guess is that they do sort of the same thing (?) but I'm not sure.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #13

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
This is just the sort of thing I was looking for on my 2WD SMB (which a friend now owns). I never wanted to try to figure it all out at the dealer, and even after reading some threads wasn't sure what to get. This kit would have solved it all for me!

I now have a different rig (still 2WD E-350) and I'm not sure if I can use this. I have a Safe-T-Steer mounted on it (took the place of the original Ford "shock" for steering). Do you know: does the STS do the same type of thing such that your kit would be redundant for my rig now? As you can tell, Ford steering is somewhat of a weak point in my mental knowledge base. My guess is that they do sort of the same thing (?) but I'm not sure.
I checked out the STS site but there were no photos that showed how the damper mounts. I would guess the Ford OEM assy would be redundant if added to a setup that already had this installed.

Scott
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #14

I will take a look to satisfy our curiosity, but I'm thinking you are right.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #15

For reference here is the original thread with part numbers and diagrams etc:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8101

Buying the pieces new was a bit of a pain (for example some of the bolts there is a minimum quantity, I have a few spares...) - this kit being offered in this thread is a good deal.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #16

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
For reference here is the original thread with part numbers and diagrams etc:

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8101

Buying the pieces new was a bit of a pain (for example some of the bolts there is a minimum quantity, I have a few spares...) - this kit being offered in this thread is a good deal.

Thanks! I'm definitely not reinventing the wheel with this one. It's an OEM kit that fits and functions as it would from the factory. There are shock upgrades available through Bilstein for this as well. This may or may not have much of a noticeable impact on your van if it's in good condition, but if you have 100k or more on the ticker this calms down the steering a bunch.

UPDATE- As of Tuesday October 13, 2015 I am out of these kits and trying to hunt down more. If you are interested, please PM me and I will collect your info so I can notify you when they are back in stock. Thanks for your patience.

Scott
Old 01-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #17

Scott
1) are these kits still available from you? Price?
2) does it require the frame bolt holes to be tapped out or should the holes be threaded already? (2014 E350 2WD)
LMK. Thx
OldDemps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:46 AM   #18

Garage
The parts you can get from Ford include self tapping bolts for the frame bracket. I assume they still sell them.

I found a list of the parts you can get from Ford when I googled "fix for Econoline steering." It was on a Ford truck forum. Some of the people on that thread were putting washers and nuts on the inside of the frame with regular bolts, a difficult and unnecessary procedure. The only reason I can see for doing that is if there is so much rust that the self-tappers wouldn't hold. Since there isn't much pressure pulling on the bracket it holds quite well. I've had it for five years now and it has really helped. I put it on at the same time I put on an anti-sway bar in the rear but I think the damper is the major improvement. When I first drove my van home it was white knuckle driving from the twitchy feeling of the steering and a slight side wind. I thought I had dropped a lot of money on a vehicle I wouldn't want to drive. It now drives quite well and my wife even likes driving it.

The parts list that I have:

frame bracket---- f2UZ3e652B

drag link bracket- f2UZ3E652A

nut for drag link bracket- N806085-S8

bolts for bracket to frame- W611645-S439 (These are self tapping)

bolt for damper to frame bracket- N605704-S439
- N806496-441 (nut for previous bolt)

The list called for a Monroe SC2955 shock absorber. The drag link bracket came with the u-bolt and nuts, you don't need to buy it separately, and it bolts on where there is a slight bend in the drag link.

Ford sells the bolts and nuts in packs of four so you wind up with three too many of all but the bracket bolts. The job only took me about half an hour after I had the parts and tools assembled. The parts seem a bit expensive for what you get but I suppose, since they have to package, ship and store the parts that aren't sold frequently, it's not too bad. I would certainly do it again.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:30 AM   #19
Orv

Garage
Check your alignment, too. I know I've beaten this drum a few times already, but the 2WD Twin I-beam vans are very sensitive to toe. The spec some alignment shops use allows some toe-out, but they wander all over the road with that setting. My van went from white-knuckle to hands-off once it had a little bit of toe-in.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:08 PM   #20

Garage
Before I installed the damper I did have my alignment checked at a Ford dealer that works mainly on trucks. I think (hope) they knew what they were doing. That was before I discovered this forum so I hadn't read about all the other things I could try. This worked so I quit looking for a solution.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote