Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #51
MSD

Garage
Super sorry about the flash… I literally inspect every set that goes out, so bummed I missed this… Drain holes are a good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Last week I ordered a set of these, and within a few days they arrived on my door step. Packaging was excellent, I suspect it ate into the profit a bit. They appear to be well made, but a couple observations. First there is a bit of flash (thin strips of plastic) in the hand holds from the molding process that can result in small paper like cuts if not sanded down, but it took about five minutes to cure this. Secondly, I mounted mine flat on the roof, which will allow the groves to fill with water. A couple drain holes are the answer. Both are really easy fixes on what looks like a well made product. The way I mounted them doesn't really allow for quick access though. I figure since I now have them, I'll never need them, but having an option besides digging a hole for the spare is great. Thanks for the fast shipping.

1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #52

I hope this will be something I carry but rarely need. I think I am going to put them inside a Yakima/Thule box on the roof.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #53
MSD

Garage
That's a good idea, another I never thought of that ideas… Once I get my high top, pop top installed. Mine will be going on the back portion of the high top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
I hope this will be something I carry but rarely need. I think I am going to put them inside a Yakima/Thule box on the roof.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Super sorry about the flash...
Not a big deal at all. Having spent many years in the casting / molding business I inspect stuff pretty closely, probably much closer than most. Can you tell me how they were molded, and what kind of tooling you used?
All in all they look to be well designed and made. Thanks.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #55
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Not a big deal at all. Having spent many years in the casting / molding business I inspect stuff pretty closely, probably much closer than most. Can you tell me how they were molded, and what kind of tooling you used?
All in all they look to be well designed and made. Thanks.
Whoops thought I replied to this already…

Right now we are using standard two plate hard alloy injection mold (7050, 7075 alloys) we’ll get about 100,000 + parts with proper mould maintenance.
This is based on what my tooler/mould maker has told me… so they should last a long time. Don’t quote me on this but I pretty sure that 7050 has 20Rc hardness or close to it and we can get higher part numbers but has higher maintence corrosion issues.

We are using a Thermoplastic polymer reinforced nylon resin .
Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #56

Send a message via AIM to illking
Wanted to share my mounting solution. Blue Ridge Overland Gear makes a traction board bag that fits these perfectly and mounts to your spare. They stayed secure and easily accessible while wheeling all weekend. Pretty stoked on this bag and the trash bag that mounts to it. Played around in some small dunes and deep sand washes but didn't get stuck so haven't had to use the boards but they do make leveling a snap.

illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #57

Garage
That's a great looking bag and storage solution. @MSD, once you get yours mounted I would love to see how you do it and would be interested in brackets if you could make an extra pair, I also want to mount mine to the rear of my hightop across the back, it's a perfect place and a big empty area.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #58
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by illking View Post
Wanted to share my mounting solution. Blue Ridge Overland Gear makes a traction board bag that fits these perfectly and mounts to your spare. They stayed secure and easily accessible while wheeling all weekend. Pretty stoked on this bag and the trash bag that mounts to it. Played around in some small dunes and deep sand washes but didn't get stuck so haven't had to use the boards but they do make leveling a snap.

That is a great shot.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #59
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
That's a great looking bag and storage solution. @MSD, once you get yours mounted I would love to see how you do it and would be interested in brackets if you could make an extra pair, I also want to mount mine to the rear of my hightop across the back, it's a perfect place and a big empty area.
Hopefully happening this week, lots going on in the shop with Bikes and van Builds so hoping to get it all buttoned up on the weekend. My plan is to make some mounting racks out of some anodized black 80/20. I've got around 60 or so feet hanging out in the shop right now...
Old 12-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #60

Spare Tire Mount?

Has anyone tried to mount these between the rear door and an Aluminess spare carrier(with stock bumper).

This idea just occurred to me and I don't have my van here to measure.

BB
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote