Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #1

1995 power stroke woes

Good morning all. I recently purchased a 2wd 1995 E350 with a 7.3 for a non profit Veterans MTB program that I run in San Antonio.

I am at a difficult crossroads with the van. I am a long time toyota guy (Land Cruiser) and I guess I have become accustomed to the reliability of that platform.

In the month or so I have owned the vehicle I have done brakes, master cylinder, water pump, and its currently down awaiting an IDM (and probably needs a tranny rebuild)

I guess I am hoping that with some community support I can justify the money that is going to the rig, and hope that once the tranny is rebuilt I will have a long lasting MTB shuttle.

IF I keep the van there are a few things that I am looking to upgrade/change out.

I like the weldtec front end conversion

I might do the weldtec leveling kit

I am also looking to replace the driver seat with something comfy for the long hauls.

Thanks!

dirt.therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:03 AM   #2

Do you have any of the maintenance history? It's pretty hard to guess at what it might need without that. You current issues suggest a it might be been subject to a lot of deferred maintenance. The 7.3L is no less reliable than any other motor, when it's maintained properly. Unfortunately, as you've probably already discovered, when things need service, it tends to be much more expensive than a typical car.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Do you have any of the maintenance history? It's pretty hard to guess at what it might need without that. You current issues suggest a it might be been subject to a lot of deferred maintenance. The 7.3L is no less reliable than any other motor, when it's maintained properly. Unfortunately, as you've probably already discovered, when things need service, it tends to be much more expensive than a typical car.
Thanks for the response. I bought this as a one owner vehicle just short of 300k on the odometer. Original owner replaced the transmission once around 20,000 miles, so maybe it really is time for a new one. Other than that the vehicle came with a stack of paperwork and maintenance items already done, lots of front end work etc.
dirt.therapy is offline   Reply With Quote