Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Yes that looks like the stock Ford AUX battery and it is where it is normally located on the outboard side of the passenger frame rail. There are four bolts that hold that in place. These bolts, two on each side screw into two very convenient clipped-to-the-frame nut holders. Two of the bolts must be removed and the other two, one on each side, can be left threaded but loose. This allows the box to be lifted and slid off the bolt heads (and to make re-installation a bit easier). The box will drop down but should be held up by the limiting cable mounted to each side of the box.

Now the box can be tilted to reveal the plastic cover attached to the battery box. Two bolts remove that. Inside should be a Group 65 battery (about the only battyer size that will fit in there. The wiring at this location is very straight forward Positive and Negative cables. Remove those cables making sure to protect against the positive cable grounding out to any metal as it is directly connected to the battery in the engine compartment.

There is a small head long shaft bolt that secures the battery clamp. it is located in the box down the outboard side of the battery.

As to the rest of the wiring schematic for the aux battery - someone else can chime in with where to look for the separator relay, etc.

Dual Battery Threads:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...etup-1707.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ble-12380.html

And this should be helpful as well with wiring schematic:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...batteries.html

Thanks so much that is a huge help, I appreciate your taking the time to share much appreciated to help me

NorCalVanDwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Keep in mind that, if it's stock, it's not a deep cycle battery but a starting battery wired directly, in parallel with your primary starting battery. True deep cycle batteries are preferable for a house batteries. An AGM deep cycle battery can be installed inside your van for easy accessibility. Most owners install some form of isolator, switches, etc. Here's an informative link:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ches-7991.html

BCam thanks so much, yea I need a good deep cycle for sure. Same battery (dead now) that I got when I bought it in Elk Grove LOL where you are

I am in Sacramento also and I appreciate the help as I struggle to get this converted to live in
Old 05-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalVanDwlr View Post
BCam thanks so much, yea I need a good deep cycle for sure. Same battery (dead now) that I got when I bought it in Elk Grove LOL where you are

I am in Sacramento also and I appreciate the help as I struggle to get this converted to live in
I just ordered one of these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mighty-Max-...ies/1001401826
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Looks like what I need thank you for sharing
Old 05-22-2020, 10:00 PM   #15

Group 65 batteries dimensions are (L x W x H) 12 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 7 9/16 (65 Ah)
Pep Boys carries a Bosch Platinum AGM for about the same price as the Lowe’s battery but Is less desirable as a house battery because it only has 65 Ah capacity.

The Lowe’s Battery dims are 13 x 6.75 x 8.4 110Ah which is great.

That OEM frame mounted box (IF you choose to use it) is pretty tight. You can have a battery tray made up and mount two batteries for house usage on the frame rail. See one of the threads for what was done.

Living in the van - you need to find a way to get 300 (or more) watts of solar on the roof otherwise you will go through batteries every year or two unless you are plugging in a lot.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Group 65 batteries dimensions are (L x W x H) 12 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 7 9/16 (65 Ah)
Pep Boys carries a Bosch Platinum AGM for about the same price as the Lowe’s battery but Is less desirable as a house battery because it only has 65 Ah capacity.

The Lowe’s Battery dims are 13 x 6.75 x 8.4 110Ah which is great.

That OEM frame mounted box (IF you choose to use it) is pretty tight. You can have a battery tray made up and mount two batteries for house usage on the frame rail. See one of the threads for what was done.

Living in the van - you need to find a way to get 300 (or more) watts of solar on the roof otherwise you will go through batteries every year or two unless you are plugging in a lot.
Thanks Ray

Good information for sure

Does anyone know the stock dimensions of this stock box?

Has anyone cut an access door in the floor to access it easier?
Old 05-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalVanDwlr View Post
Thanks Ray

Good information for sure

Does anyone know the stock dimensions of this stock box?

Has anyone cut an access door in the floor to access it easier?
By far your best bet will be to build in space for your house battery or batteries inside. They will be much easier to deal with and will be protected from the elements.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #18

Hmmmmm. ... inside or outside for batteries is an ongoing debate! Many factors and MANY compromises to consider / make when building out. This goes for nearly every system, every cabinet, etc. The demands put on a particular rig in terms usage and circumstances should help dictate where something goes.

In this particular case the person wants to live in the van full time. The interior volume should house those systems which provide the highest and best comfort, utility, safety and well being towards that utilization/goal. There are many data bits missing in this picture right now. One person or more? Pets? Location(s) / environmental conditions to be handled? Health factors? Other systems and capacities needed? Budget? Etc.

So, imho and lots of experience, while having a battery inside is convenient when needing to monitor a flooded battery, I would switch to an AGM battery that does not need water and can tolerate temperature extremes very well. This means it can go under the van, in a protective case if desired. This frees up nearly 2 Cu. Ft if interior volume for something else that I need everyday, or every week, or every month vs a High quality deep cycle battery that with proper charging (solar) and consideration as to drawdowns will not have to be dealt with again for five plus years.

This is an RB fixed raised roof van parked in a handicap spot, with a large fridge freezer, a very short couch, a swivel passenger seat, a fixed bed for one and very little ventilation. The picture of the small family property is amongst lots of tall trees. Lots of compromises coming on best set up for interior space /systems.

Batteries (AGM and at least two and maybe three or four due to shaded location) should likely be located under the van in this particular case.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Hmmmmm. ... inside or outside for batteries is an ongoing debate! Many factors and MANY compromises to consider / make when building out. This goes for nearly every system, every cabinet, etc. The demands put on a particular rig in terms usage and circumstances should help dictate where something goes.

In this particular case the person wants to live in the van full time. The interior volume should house those systems which provide the highest and best comfort, utility, safety and well being towards that utilization/goal. There are many data bits missing in this picture right now. One person or more? Pets? Location(s) / environmental conditions to be handled? Health factors? Other systems and capacities needed? Budget? Etc.

So, imho and lots of experience, while having a battery inside is convenient when needing to monitor a flooded battery, I would switch to an AGM battery that does not need water and can tolerate temperature extremes very well. This means it can go under the van, in a protective case if desired. This frees up nearly 2 Cu. Ft if interior volume for something else that I need everyday, or every week, or every month vs a High quality deep cycle battery that with proper charging (solar) and consideration as to drawdowns will not have to be dealt with again for five plus years.

This is an RB fixed raised roof van parked in a handicap spot, with a large fridge freezer, a very short couch, a swivel passenger seat, a fixed bed for one and very little ventilation. The picture of the small family property is amongst lots of tall trees. Lots of compromises coming on best set up for interior space /systems.

Batteries (AGM and at least two and maybe three or four due to shaded location) should likely be located under the van in this particular case.
1dr thanks

Yes I see your vision on this and plan to add AGM of course (cant afford Lithium) and will be adding more batteries for a separate system to hook to my 400 watts solar I have to add to the room and run to these batteries I will be adding to run 12v TV, Laptop, Fans etc

But want to keep the single factory house battery as well which charged by Alternator and use it as a side system or back up for smaller needs

I will be living in the van full-time by myself because of health issues

Hoping to add the solar batteries to a separate underfloor mount likely in rear area

I am in Sacramento no far from you so staying cool in summer is the biggest issue more than staying warm in winter

I also went to your website blingmyrig.com and like it as well

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and ideas with me, I truly an grateful for your generosity

Maybe we will cross paths someday

Stay safe and healthy
Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #20

My cab area so far

Have a wonderful comfortable drivers seat I love but have no idea what it is out of to get a matching seat for the passenger side LOL

Added a great stereo with back up camera, Sirius/XM radio, etc

A center lockable box for the center to add another small bit of security for some items

Swivel passenger seat is amazing to work on laptop and will soon have the RamMounts Laptop mount to safely use my Mac laptop
Attached Thumbnails
DriverSeat_(2).jpg   2018-01-10 14.24.40.jpg   51N8VNW1rPL._SL1200_.jpg   IMG_9334.jpg   2018-11-26 16.17.24.jpg  

Cab (6).jpg