Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2021, 10:50 PM   #1

7.3 high top passenger van

7.3 power stroke work van high top edge tuner 4 inch exhaust this is my toolbox I am a general contractor and this thing is the ultimate work truck and I pull 14k dump trailer and was getting 22 mpg as a toolbox towing it goes down with the right pedal

So trying to see if I go 4x4 or lockers and 37s with all the necessities .
Not set on 37s but !

Carrier bearing has a lot of slop so I’m going fix it for now.
If any one has done this I need all the help I can get?

I have had this van for 3 years as a work truck and I’m stuck for life I want one for work and one for play or 2 the same?

Kr8tions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:13 AM   #2

Garage
Welcome.

There are a few options for 4x4, suggest you read through the 4x4 forum.

Two vans or one for work and play is of course a personal question. I would think how you use it for work and play has a bearing. Some use a modular approach so the van has multiple uses. For ease of use, sure sounds like two would be easier.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #3

Just a couple things to think about:

I wouldn't make significant modifications to my work truck, but that's just me.

37s take a lot of lift. I have 35s on my van. With a 5" lift and a 20" high top it's 10' at the top of the rack. It's a little top heavy and I have to pay attention to overhead clearance. With 37s you will be a few inches higher than that. That might be a problem for a work truck.

A good locker in the rear axle will give you a lot of mobility improvement. Ford van axles are not the same as pickup axles though, so you run into issues with spline count when you're buying lockers. It can be done, you just have to do some research to see what works.

Building/buying a whole second van is pretty expensive too, so whatever your budget dictates there.

All that sounds pretty negative, and that isn't my intent. Do what makes you happy and serves your purposes best. I just wanted to point out some things that might be worth considering. We built our van as a dedicated camping/off roader so we don't have to compromise our daily drivers.

Good luck!
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #4

I have had a 4x4 ford work van and honestly I would rather have a lower work van. Also, it sucked emptying all the work crap and loading up the bikes and camping stuff sometimes weekly.
I ended up with two Van's, one work one camper and that worked the best. They both stayed loaded all the time, which saved me tons of time and I didn't trash the Van's or contents as much. Again, it costs more, was worth it to me.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote