Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
Consider the difficulty and costs of repair and maintenance of the van motor. It is stuffed into a very tight space and much of the motor is hard to get to leading to expensive labor costs. Also, the batteries are hung underneath and are hard to inspect and replace

Not every van has the batteries underneath…

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:33 PM   #22

in 2018, When I was searching for my adventure vehicle my basic requirements were that it have 4WD, have the ability to tow comfortably, have a pop top and be able to sleep 4 or more. I had it narrowed down to a Ford/Chevy Sportsmobile or a Truck/Camper. Here are some additional Pros and Cons not previously mentioned.

Pickup/Camper Pros:
1) With the pickup/camper you can spread out the cost of replacement. You can replace just the pickup (and keep the old camper) when it becomes too worn out or too technologically old. Same with the camper if you see one you like better, get a new camper to mate with the old truck. With van campers you'll need to replace the entire unit to stay current.

2) All else being equal, If you're willing to drive a 10 year or older truck and camper you can get a decent pickup/camper combination for less than comparable year Sportsmobile.

3) Engine repairs are easier on the pickup than the van.

Camper Pros:
1) The Camper Van, at least with the pop top down, doesn't scream out that it's an RV like a Pickup/Camper does. My HOA doesn't allow an RV to be parked at your house except for short term loading and unloading.

2) The Camper Van has more seating options. With my SMB RB50 I can sit in the passenger seat swiveled around, or on the rear bench seat. Most truck Campers I've seen only have one seating option and that's at the dinette.

3) The Camper Van is always ready to go at a moments notice. If I had a Pickup/Camper, I'd have to store the camper at an RV storage facility. With the Pickup/Camper I'd need to first fetch the camper from the Storage Facility and then load stuff in it.

4) The SMB style Camper Vans hold their value extremely well. IMO they have a certain Cool factor to them which along with their utilitarianism justifies their high resale values. I have no doubt I could sell mine for at least what I bought it.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #23

Beasties indeed! Still, mine was parked for two years, with
surprisingly little damage from them....they just ate the food!
They left the rest alone.
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:34 PM   #24

Another comfort factor to consider with the E-Series van is that the engine is squeezed in between the two front seats, offset a couple inches towards the passenger - so the passenger foot well is a bit cramped.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:33 AM   #25

Okay perhaps going against the grain but I just don't get fad current trend that people are willing to spend for vans.
I mean if money is (no object) then obviously build what you want and it's not much of a worry.
I have an 03 7.3 diesel motor style van Empty it's @aporox 7000 lbs.
Its damn old too.... Considered costs of a future engine replacement of $10,000 minimum, trannies are 4-5k..plus virtually everything bolted to the motor is going to need replacement you looking at another six grand.
If it's a later model with a 6.0 I don't know one person who's bought a Ford 6.0 diesel that hasn't had to spend $15- $20k just to fix the Ford engines....

I was partially curious about a four by conversion until I was told that the costs are cheapest I found is 15K up to about 25 just for a bloody for my conversion and then they ride pretty ugly
For the price of just a four x conversion...
I could buy a really nice complete f350 or 250 4 x 4 and still have at least 5 grand left.
I don't really care about a pass-through I suppose as if I'm camping is no different than towing a trailer... I pretty much only go in it just for the final wind down and sleep.
Just the sheer costs associated with converting one..... Seems rather exorbitant to me $100,000 for a 20 year old vehicle?

Why would one not just buy a 4 x 4 sprinter style? Given the notion that money is no object? you'll get a vehicle that already has the high top situation handled it's far newer probably ultimate leaf way more reliable just mainly due to the age and the value alone sprinter vans seem to command?
Never owned a camper since I've been in at all but my family had several if I had the room to store a camper I think that would be my option and preferred route.
But I've bought several e-350 Vans and 1 diesel and I've never spent more than four grand on any of them I would just could never foresee spending that much personally...but that's just me and my situation I'm a working guy I could literally buy a house in some states for the price of a van conversion....
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by This old va View Post
Why would one not just buy a 4 x 4 sprinter style?

It depends what kind of trails you want to hit. I enjoy the game of driving to and camping in especially difficult locations, that a Sprinter 4x4 wouldn't be able to achieve -- with lack of clearance and low range.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
It depends what kind of trails you want to hit. I enjoy the game of driving to and camping in especially difficult locations, that a Sprinter 4x4 wouldn't be able to achieve -- with lack of clearance and low range.
Don't forget a reduced towing capacity as well. This may not be important to some, but it is to me.

Herb