Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2020, 09:40 PM   #11

I have transported a few vans for members.
I would be available 2/21 if that works for you send me a pm and see if I can help.
Don

Yes the move for arctictraveler was a disaster but not my fault he rented a trailer that wasn't correct for the size and weight to be carried.
You could get another opinion from mikracer about when I moved a van for him, or steelheadjones is another person I helped with success. Or CAIDEN another person I helped.

dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig255 View Post
I have transported a few vans for members.
I would be available 2/21 if that works for you send me a pm and see if I can help.
Don

Yes the move for arctictraveler was a disaster but not my fault he rented a trailer that wasn't correct for the size and weight to be carried.
You could get another opinion from mikracer about when I moved a van for him, or steelheadjones is another person I helped with success. Or CAIDEN another person I helped.
Details Details very curious here!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Details Details very curious here!
It's a long story but basically I learned you don't tow a 10.000 pound van with a 10.000 pound van plus the weight of the trailer. It is way over total combined gvw for the tow vehicle. And the trailer was too short.

You can see the van is longer than trailer
Old 02-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #14

Danger Will Robinson Danger!
Old 02-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Danger Will Robinson Danger!
That is a under statement for what happened. And then the guy I tried to help insulted my ability and competence. He arranged and rented the trailer not my fault he got too small of a trailer for the load, but he blames me for it! And claims I cost him thousands. I didn't charge him a dime for my time just expenses.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #16

Honestly you should have 1) either refused it or 2) had him sign off on it, but more so refused it because it was overloaded. Although the shipper signing off would not release you from liability because you accepted an unsafe load, it would help you collect your fee between shipper and carrier. You would have the means of going to court for your compensation. Any load/agreement that you take on, can be deemed as a commercial transaction because you have agreed to enter into a contract, whether verbal or written. Furthermore you can be cited for illegal interstate shipping without a Motor Carrier Permit. That is why you should put it in writing; owner/shipper assumes all liability and legal subjects pertaining to this move. Once you accept a load and get behind the wheel, you assume responsibility for that load according to local and Federal DOT for the safety of that load as it pertains to the safety of the public. You really have to be carefull. Even just driving a vehicle without pulling a load, harder to prove but still potentially legally binding.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #17

Well in the first place I am not a commercial driver. I was doing this for FREE except expenses. Which is the same deal I gave the other 6 people I helped. No charge for my time! That's why I think arctictraveler is a jerk. Ya things went bad but that's when his true caricature came out when he insulted my ability and competence. Arctictraveler claims I ripped him off for thousands and that is a lie. Read the message he posted on original poster home page to defame me. Like I said it's a long story.
But again I do it as a hobby not for profit. And yes lots of laws were being pushed their but it was not a commercial transaction.
You need a van moved I'll do it for Free but as I learned not towing it.
Sorry to OP for this side track.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #18

Save you the time here is his post
arctictraveller
Hi, I just went through a similar situation trying to ship a SMB. Uship was a disaster since four different contractors agreed to the transport, accepted my deposit and then never showed up. Next, forum member Dig255 agreed to tow it for me but on the first day the trailer jackknifed and the van fell off the trailer. That was after he spent hundreds of my dollars on tie downs, and a bunch of unnecessary other supplies. When I asked him if the brakes on the trailer were working, he said he had no idea. All in all, in just one day he cost me a couple thousand dollars in expenses and damages. When I asked him to return the tie downs and other supplies, he got pretty nasty. I ended up with an independent hauler I found on Craigslist. I wish I had better recomendations for you, but Im sorry I don’t.

Had nothing to do with brakes it was sway it speed that caused the trouble! Van did not fall off trailer it shifted a few feet to one side.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #19

What I didn't return was 2 ratchet straps an 2 railroad ties about a $100. Cause he insulted me.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #20

My last comment for subject in education of transportation : Liability falls on the operator whether commercial or not. Unsafe is unsafe whether commercial or not. If you felt unsafe whether by your opinion or suggested you still took to behind the wheel therefore assuming liability. I am sorry but all else is redundant. IMOP, I think it falls on both but mainly you for accepting the task.
I will leave this to the Forum monitors to delete and let the OP have his post back

Tags
delivery, driving, job, sportsmobile, travel