Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Dream come true

Hey folks. I bought this van about 10 months ago or more now, and have taken it on several great trips (not as many as I'd like) from our home base in AZ. It is a 2012 E-350.

The previous owner gutted the interior, installed a subfloor, and this neat folding bench/bed. Brand name is escaping me right now. We commissioned the roof rack, and I got the light bar for free on a labor trade and got that wired up.

Looking for some advice/help on my next few projects:

I want to add a ladder, and am not willing to pay retail. I have access to raw materials etc. I am hoping someone has a blueprint or a detailed forum post on a DIY option for a driver's side mounted ladder? I would prefer it to mount in the middle of the drivers side, but I'm honestly not picky.

I need to finish my roof, and I want to run some ducting from the rear air so that the backseat gets some airflow. Any advice on where to look for ducting?

Excited to be here and to learn. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20210321_081744.jpg   20211015_125452.jpg  

Jeanshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #2

Garage
Congrats and welcome.

Ducting is available from multiple sources. Don’t have a ladder template, but they usually attach to the drip rail and lower body pinch weld.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanshorts View Post
Looking for some advice/help on my next few projects:

I want to add a ladder, and am not willing to pay retail. I have access to raw materials etc. I am hoping someone has a blueprint or a detailed forum post on a DIY option for a driver's side mounted ladder? I would prefer it to mount in the middle of the drivers side, but I'm honestly not picky.
Its a little unclear when you say "I have access to raw materials", are you suggesting you have the means (material & welding) to fabricate a ladder yourself? Aluminess will sell you a set of the drip rail gutter mounts to secure the top of the ladder, but this would require you resourcing aluminum tube, bending, and welding.
By the time you finish with all that (plus painting or powder coating) you'll probably be just as invested as if you purchased a new one from Aluminess.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #4

Twoxentrix - I work at a facility that has a machine shop attached, and have a buddy with a bender. But we only do steel welding. I can get ahold of the materials at wholesale cost, but I don't know how to weld/fabricate.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:07 AM   #5

Even though you have a line on part of what you need this still may be a cheaper and certainly a quicker option:

https://www.amazon.com/Surco-103HF-L...016N58G6&psc=1

They used to make black ones but I couldn't find one right away for an E series.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #6

Surco ladders are certainly functional. I find them to be terribly ugly, but it's probably what I will end up doing until I can feel comfortable spending on the nicer one.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #7

Garage
talk to this guy - https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...0/post-2883390

gregor has some spectacular fab skills and made his own ladder.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Even though you have a line on part of what you need this still may be a cheaper and certainly a quicker option:

https://www.amazon.com/Surco-103HF-L...016N58G6&psc=1

They used to make black ones but I couldn't find one right away for an E series.

Surco does make various models, this being what sportsmobile used. If you call the company (I did a while back) they will make black...
https://www.amazon.com/Surco-093F-St...omotive&sr=1-5

Given you want to make one, you could, given time....The template is subtle since nothing is square on an econoline..For instance the right door and left door ladders are different....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #9

When you remember the name of the company that makes the folding bed/bench, please post it. Thanks
tabularasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #10

Fabricating your own ladder can be a rewarding and learning experience. You will need to learn how to accurately bend tubing (beginners tend to make mistakes calculating bend allowances, so get some extra) Then you will need to cope the rungs (fish mouthing both ends using a tubing notcher or by hand with a cutoff wheel) and then fabricate the plates and hardware to attach to the pinch weld and gutter. Then you will need to learn to weld, either TIG (recommended) or MIG. Be sure to practice on some of your waste tubing first as it's easy to blow holes in the tubing as you learn. Once you have it fully welded, send it out for paint or powder coating. Have fun and be sure to post photos of the process
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote