Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #1

Florida Checking in

Hey all new to the forum, but I have been doing a ton of research and looking at all you great info on the site.

We are looking at buying/building some type of van for camping and towing our small boat around FL, GA, NC and TN.

Currently trying to decide the best option for us whether its a sportsmobile, cutaway box truck build, or even a class B van.

Thanks for all the great info!

stx4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #2

Garage
I got off my '02 Dakota and into a SMB with pretty much the same thing in mind.
I like not having to pitch a tent and set up camp after a day of sailing.
The down side of your tow vehicle being your camper is having to pack up if you need to drive to the ramp the next morning to launch. Not a real pain but a consideration.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

Garage
Welcome. A lot of information available here as you mentioned. One downside is as gahamby mentioned.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #4

Welcome! Been traveling with our skiff, scooter and our custom hi-top chevy for years. A lot of times we can find a campsite where we can keep the boat in the water at the site. Other times we rent a slip at a marina and sometimes we have to do the ramp routine everyday which isnt an issue. The van has solar so no issue with batteries running down when at the ramp parking lot all day. We have done all of Florida a dozen times over including the Everglades and Keys. Some of our favorite lakes to our north are Lake Jocassee in S.C./ Devils Fork S.P.,this is where the movie Deliverance was filmed. Lake Watauga in Tenn. north of Asheville. My favorite is Fontana in western N.C. the northern shore is the southern border for the Smoky Mtns N.P. 400’ deep with access to Hazel and Eagle Creeks to hike directly into the heart of the park. The van is basically a B with all the conforts of home that has served us very well. The mileage is much better than anything larger with no hassles of parking and storage. Just returned from a trip to Colorado, Wyoming and S. Dakota campground and dispersed camping, didnt take the skiff, 7000 miles, the van was the perfect vehicle for our needs.
Attached Thumbnails
DBCEB02E-E634-42D7-99B7-DE0566237C8E.jpg  
Flipperfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #5

Thanks all for the welcome. Yeah we will be dragging a 18' maverick poling skiff in tow around florida and our 13' canoe.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #6

Welcome bud! Good info above and if you don’t need 4x4 there are a lot more possibilities,something to consider when shopping might be limited slip differential or adding quality all terrain tires like bfgoodrich k02 which have a great bite for pulling boat out.i launch my waverunners in saltwater all the time and if I use my van instead of 4x4 pickup I throw 2-18” solid shank reciever extensions to keep from getting everything rusty/wheel spin.keep us posted and start a thread when you get it!
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #7

Yeah I have a heavy background in building rock crawlers and 60-80s trucks plus I drove a 2wd f-350 for a long time so if we get a good van a rear locker and winch will be in the planning.