Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #1

Gday From Australia

Hi
Just thought I would drop an and say hello and tell you all how envious I am of the awesome vans you guys have access to.
We have nothing that comes close down here apart from possibly the Mitsubishi Delica Grey import vans. ( not really a comparison I know)

Since seeing a heap of Sportsmobile vans when I was at the Overland Expo last year, I have been investigating the idea of buying one and importing to Australia. Have been getting a heap of Info from Doug in Western Australia. ( Thanks Doug) [ I am still hoping you will sell me yours cheap after you have done all the hard work :-)]

Its going to be stupidly expensive when you consider the cost to convert to RHD and shipping and importation. But am keen to make it happen.

In the mean time I will live vicariously through you all and check out all your awesome trucks.

mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #2

There are vehicles that you guys have there that I wish we get here. Such as the bad azz diesel Series 70, series 100, series 200 Land Cruisers. Man I dream of a new series 70 manual double cab, diesel flat bed rig. Now cheers to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #3

Yeah the dual cabs are very popular over here.
My wife drives a 2014 Hilux Dual Cab and I have a 2015 200 series Land cruiser.

Would sell them both for a nicely set up Ford or Chev sportsmobile though.

Would be so good for touring around here.

I am sure if Ford or GMH brought them in in RHD they would sell well once people realised how versatile and capable they would be with a 4wd conversion, but for some reason Vans have never been popular over here.

We get quite a few F250 and Chev and dodge utes (pickup) here and there are several companies doing the conversion but no Vans.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #4

My other rig is a series 100 wearing the Lexus badge. We don't get the front solid axle here in the States but this vehicle has brought me many adventurous memories. If I do sell my 100, a 200 daily driver is in the horizon. Cheers mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Would be so good for touring around here.
Totally agree. When I was over there for 3 weeks a few years back, I kept wishing I had my van! Some day I'll ship it over for 6 months or so!

Welcome to the site!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:41 AM   #6

Quote:

Would sell them both for a nicely set up Ford or Chev sportsmobile though.
No! Remember the grass is always greener. If only we could more easily and cheaply get the diesel trucks you guys get, you know, the ones that are reliable.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

Ha Yes there is no way I would consider a petrol. Fuel is 4 x times more expensive over here compared to what you guys pay.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi

We have nothing that comes close down here apart from possibly the Mitsubishi Delica Grey import vans. ( not really a comparison I know)
I work with a bunch of Aussies and spent a month in Melbourne in 2014.....you have some cool stuff that we don't have......like these specimens....

boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Yes the grey import Delicas are quite popular and the only real 4wd option. ( getting insurance is expensive as well.
( there are a few VW transpoter type AWD type things) But nothing that compares with your Fords and Chevs as far as size goes.
There are also quite a few truck type conversions such as Iveco and Mitsubishi Canter 4WD, but these are not nice to drive and not as capable off road.

Unfortunately it might well be that this is the way I go as the cost of importing and converting is looking to be unviable,
Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #10

These guys are Australian, but perhaps a bit excessive:

http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/vehicles/motorhomes