Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #1

Girl w/ SMB - battery questions

Dear SMB community;

Peanut needs new batteries - question: there are two attached to the frame - found those no problem. Those batteries are not the house battery(ies), correct? Recommendations for the batteries that go under the frame and if the house battery is indeed separate inside the van which I’m pretty sure it is recommendations for which battery to use when I replace that one. Peanut has solar panels on the top of her roof. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Laura - Lucky owner of peanut 4 x 4

Peanut4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #2

Is peanut an SMB build? .....assuming that it is an E-350 Ford.... Is it diesel or gas? Are the frame mounted batteries under the side doors or behind the rear axle?

Answers to these questions will help a alot.....posting pics will help too.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #3

Laura,

fellow new owner. I think the answer is "it depends" but, on my E350 RB50 the house battery runs behind and parallel to the rear axle, just forward of the underfloor storage unit (where the factory spare wheel was originally mounted and replaced with wet storage by SMB). The battery is a Group 4D, meaning it's about twice as long as the standard vehicle batteries you're seeing along the frame rail. If you have the same, it will be supported by a black steel framed floor and tucked up tight under the body of the van.
IrishSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #4

peanut batteries

Hi all -

Thank you! I found a guy that's a local mechanic that also has a RV - helpful. I have a E350 RB50 Diesel 2005 Ford SMB. There are two batteries bolted underneath the side door on the frame, need a jack to lower those down. I have yet to "locate" the house battery. battery pic attached - what batteries have you used for your "van" batteries and which ones have you used for your house battery? I know I need AGM deep cycle batteries for RV/Boat but wondering if anyone has a preferred battery brand or any tips? I have found a pretty good mechanic who also has his own RV and works on it but I'd like some out side advice too. Thank you! Laura
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_715.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Batteries under rigth back door.pdf (37.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Those are the standard Ford starting batteries. The house battery (sometimes more than one battery) is generally located near the rear axle but can also be located in a number of places even inside the van. On a 2005 build SMB used a Surepower battery separator to connect or disconnect from the Ford chassis battery system.

IMHO AGM starting batteries are better than wet cell maintenance free type automotive batteries especially if you have solar. I really like Odyssey batteries for starting batteries but they are higher priced. If you want a traditional battery replacement, the main thing is to replace both with the same make, type, and age when you replace the batteries even if one of the old batteries tests good.

Chances are a 2005 would have a Lifeline 4D battery house battery unless the original owner asked for something different.

It's also possible that any of the batteries may have been replaced since 2005. I do prefer Lifeline deep cycle AGM's but am looking looking at Firefly carbon batteries. AGM batteries charge quicker than the wet cell types but the main advantage of an AGM is you don't have to monitor the water level in the battery.

Here is a good link to help explain batteries:
https://www.solar-electric.com/deep-...ttery-faq.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

You prefer Lifeline deep cycle AGM's for your van batteries, not your house battery, correct?

laura
Old 03-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut4x4 View Post
You prefer Lifeline deep cycle AGM's for your van batteries, not your house battery, correct?

laura

...House batteries.....

AGMs can be used inside or outside; they don't outgas when charged and they are completely sealed....maintenance free. They can be mounted in any orientation.

Wet cells need periodic care and feeding (top up cells with distilled water) and outgas some hydrogen when charged....that's why it's not a good idea to use them inside, although plenty of folks do...topping up wet cells mounted under the van can be a PITA...

AGMs are more $$ than wet cells....of course..!! and Lifeline and Deka and a few others are well regarded brands.

Dave is suggesting AGM starting batteries for a number of reasons; if you have solar and AGM house batteries you can likely configure (or it's already configured) your solar controller for an AGM charge profile and both sets of batteries will be happy, although plenty of us (including me) have a wet cell van batt and AGM house batts and solar....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble with wet cell starting batteries only lasting a couple of years. A lot might have to do with how hot it gets around here. My van sits in 100*+ weather most of the year and the solar runs as long as the system sees sun. I also found that when wet cell batteries fail they often get very hot and off gas where I've never had this happen with an AGM. Some of this is because the diesels have twin batteries and when one fails you might not notice it goin south but while cranking over the motor even though it starts, the voltage is drawn down and it's not real good for a diesel.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #9

Garage
Hey Peanut.
Batteries+Bulbs has a promo at the moment on batteries - https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...-750cca-diesel
code CDP10047 = 10% discount for buy online and pick-up in store.

It appears they also have a $30 mail-in rebate on marine batteries (4 year warranty) - X2Power Premium AGM Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Battery for 2006 Ford E-350 Super Duty V8 6.0L 750CCA Diesel Car and Truck

You just missed the Batteries + Bulbs 20% discount code by a few days - http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...lbs-23465.html
I bought two of the X2Power SLI65AGMDP (5 year warranty)

Odyssey has comparable batteries - ODYSSEY Battery - Dealer Search & https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/65-pc1750t?pp=12

You won't be disappointed with either brand.

For a bit more expense, there are carbon foam batteries - https://www.bruceschwab.com/advanced...asis-group-31/

As mentioned previously, there's Lifeline batteries - https://lifelinebatteries.com/produc...ine-batteries/
We have a 4DL as the house battery in the van, but haven;t been able to use it since the van's in the shop, so can't provide feedback.
Regards.
Chris
Old 03-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

Okay! So I think I’m going with Odyssey 65-PC1750T For the starting batteries & am not replacing the house battery(ies) at this point. They don’t seem to need it. Does anyone have a better recommendation for starting batteries?

Laura & Peanut