Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #11

One thing to consider, which it looks like you already have, is although a SMB is a "RV," it ain't your dad's RV. Even a Minie Winnie can't do a fraction of what a SMB can do. Its an Adventure Vehicle that goes most anywhere (including the office) and sleeps four as well. And they are just damn cool too boot. Good luck with the search.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
One thing to consider, which it looks like you already have, is although a SMB is a "RV," it ain't your dad's RV. Even a Minie Winnie can't do a fraction of what a SMB can do. Its an Adventure Vehicle that goes most anywhere (including the office) and sleeps four as well. And they are just damn cool too boot. Good luck with the search.
I originally started looking at "true" Class B RV's, and didn't really like how they looked. Sure, I know you have to buy something like this based on many other factors, not just looks, but I'm in my mid-30's: I want a functional AND "cool" RV (so I, my fiancee, AND my kids can brag about it)!

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #13

You have alternatives.

- Buy a used SMB. You really limit your choice to what someone chose, but the costs are lower.

- Get a Camburg lift on a 2wd van. $10K cheaper with similar lift and looks

- Buy a used van and have SMB Indiana do the camper conversion. Less money than a new van, still the same interior choices.

- Don't overlook the 5.4L V8 gas engine. A solid reliable engine. Less cost and maintainance than a diesel. Less cost than a V10 and possibly better mileage.

If I were starting today, I would probably get either the 5.4L/TorqShift combo and a 2wd Camburg lift or a GM van with a gas engine.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
You have alternatives.

- Buy a used SMB. You really limit your choice to what someone chose, but the costs are lower.

- Get a Camburg lift on a 2wd van. $10K cheaper with similar lift and looks

- Buy a used van and have SMB Indiana do the camper conversion. Less money than a new van, still the same interior choices.

- Don't overlook the 5.4L V8 gas engine. A solid reliable engine. Less cost and maintainance than a diesel. Less cost than a V10 and possibly better mileage.
I like having alternatives. LOL.

I'm probably going to end up buying a used SMB somewhere semi-close to me, and hoping the floorplan is close enough to what I want/need.

Or I'll buy a used one and do my own floorplan/work.

I've actually been considering the V-8 gas engine. since I probably won't need the extra power for towing heavy loads, or the 4x4 needs.

Is a lift on just a 2wd a waste of money? Do parts have to be swapped out like in a 4x4 conversion? What's gained other than some extra height/clearance?

Thanks for the reply! I'm learning a lot in just this thread alone....

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 04-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #15

Good news! I used the "offer" on SMB's site to get names of people close to me so I can see a SMB up close. Nancy from SMB emailed me the name/number of someone only 15 minutes from me! And I just spoke w/ the nice owner who owns a 2004 Ford EB w/ PH Top. I'll be seeing it on Saturday morning!

I can't wait!

Next thing would be to see an RB and compare "space" requirements.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #16

Dave, you're a goner. Welcome to the club!
Joanna
Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #17

Everyone here is so polite and proper. Not me. Dave, got any pics of your Ex-Wife?

(I'm kidding of course)
Old 04-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #18

That's cause anyone besides me who is rude gets IP banned.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
Dave, you're a goner. Welcome to the club!
Joanna
Yeah, I think I am. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Everyone here is so polite and proper. Not me. Dave, got any pics of your Ex-Wife?

(I'm kidding of course)
Yeah, I hope you are! Yeah, I do. Are you that desperate? LOL. She is an EX-wife you know....

Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #20

I stopped by my local Ford Truck/Van dealer today on my way home, just out of curiosity to see what they had. They didn't have any E350's... but I got to check out one of their 2008 E250 RB Super Duty vans. For around $23k, I could get a bare-bones model, with just a rubber floor mat. No wood subfloor, no side walls, no nothing.... except for a few pre-installed shelf cabinet things, and a "gate" between the cargo area and cab. I inquired about getting windows installed, and was told I can either have no windows (except for the rear doors) as per their "floor" models, OR I could get windows all around; I couldn't specify a window here or there. Bummer. I was told an EB model would run me about $1500 more. They didn't have any EB models on site - but they could order one for me. I mentioned the whole 4x4 concept, and he told me about Quigley's. Apparently even they have heard about the famous 4x4 conversion place.

Here's the "base" model I was able to get into today...

A view towards the "gate":

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

Obviously I'd have to add a PH Top, and do the floor/walls, and add cabinets and furniture. But it could be a nice "base" van to start with. Right?

I still want to see the EB model on Saturday. Just to compare sizes.

My guess is that I could save some $$$ if I do the floorplan work myself. Heck, I may be able to find a local company who can do the PH Top, too.

You know, after being inside one of those things (RB), it doesn't seem like there's room for a gaucho sofa AND another item on the same side. The DYO program online seems to be a larger floorplan...

Hmmm... the plot thickens......