Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #31

Looks like it is going well. I did re-read your original post and you seem to have emphasized that you were looking for a diesel within budget. I am just curious and I will not ask but how is the budget going. I am sure there are many 6.0 guys wondering the actual present day cost to bulletproof a 6.0. The ATS is a good choice and will probably be my choice or Monster if I ever need one. It is good to see you picked a DIY front conversion!

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
It's been a long time since I looked into the specifics, but from what I remember, you are O.K. doing a gas-to-diesel swap provided that the MY of the engine is equal or "newer" to the MY of the vehicle it is being placed into, and still retains -all- factory-equipped emissions systems.

I have heard some smog/emissions refs are easier to get the paperwork done than with others (To make it "officially" powered by a diesel).

Puts the '97 vans into a great position- they can use just about anything (12v, 24v, commonrail, 7.3L, 6.0L) and be smog exempt in the state of CA. I can't remember if the motors had to be from the same manufacturer, or if you could mix and match dodge with Ford. Don't think I've ever seen or heard of a duramax swapped E-series.

Having a '97 with a 5.4L, I've long wondered about the prospect of a 24V or commonrail with a 'modern' transmission... but already having a Quigley conversion, I'm sure that shoehorning a diesel and big transmission in, in place of the 5.4L... Probably better off finding another 1997 van with ridiculous mileage/blown motor for cheap and starting there than ripping apart a perfectly good van.
Last I checked it had to be one year newer on Gas not sure on Diesel!
Old 05-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Last I checked it had to be one year newer on Gas not sure on Diesel!
Not sure if that changes anything for 1997 vans- I think 1998 for Dodge was a bit like 2003 for Ford (12V/24V both 1998, 7.3/6.0 both 2003).

---

@DMD If I might pry for some info here... Why was a 6.0L elected over a commonrail 5.9? Compatibility would be my first guess, legal reasons being my second?

I presume this motor is going to end up being EGR-equipped?

Any 6.4 parts going on it(starter?)

Regarding earlier questions about the tunes being ran... I would be inclined to think a 6.0 sans-EGR would be able to run a hotter tune than one with.... Or is this motor destined to run standard E-series tunes in effort to maximize reliability?
Old 05-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #34

Bedplate reseal

Here are some photos to go along with the Bedplate reseal.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5631.jpg   IMG_5635.jpg   IMG_5637 (1).jpg  
DevilmtnDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #35

@offroading is fun- The *6.0 was chosen mainly for what I will turn it into. A reliable, smooth running, powerful and "modern" diesel engine. *The fact that Ford used it as a factory installed engine never hurts when considering a swap or conversion candidate. *Being a California diesel repair shop the smog legal aspects are always part of this type of project. *
* This van and all vans worked on or built by DMD are EGR cooler equipped. *Thanks to Bullet Proof Diesel for building a cooler that has lasted the test of time and has earned its spot as the only EGR cooler we will install at DMD.
A 6.4 starter works fine, just not high on the build sheet yet. LOL
As far as tuning goes this van will live as a stock Econoline.
DevilmtnDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilmtnDiesel View Post
@offroading is fun- The *6.0 was chosen mainly for what I will turn it into. A reliable, smooth running, powerful and "modern" diesel engine.
*The fact that Ford used it as a factory installed engine never hurts when considering a swap or conversion candidate.
*Being a California diesel repair shop the smog legal aspects are always part of this type of project.
* This van and all vans worked on or built by DMD are EGR cooler equipped. *Thanks to Bullet Proof Diesel for building a cooler that has lasted the test of time and has earned its spot as the only EGR cooler we will install at DMD.
A 6.4 starter works fine, just not high on the build sheet yet. LOL
As far as tuning goes this van will live as a stock Econoline.
Thanks for shedding some light on the project!

Look forward to seeing this all come together.

Erik
Old 05-08-2020, 05:45 PM   #37

I honestly do not want to be a party pooper, really I don't.Never mind it is your post I just scratch my head???
Old 05-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #38

Hi Erik,

Sorry for delay in getting back, the donor truck had terrible interior, nothing of value. good luck in your search.
Jeff
Jeff94598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #39

Following, just found out yesterday I will need a new V10 in my 2006. Looking at options. Are there options for a 2006?

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom View Post
Following, just found out yesterday I will need a new V10 in my 2006. Looking at options. Are there options for a 2006?
Why do you need a new V10? A Ford reman V10 is the best option. If you want to do a diesel conversion, putting a 6.0 is nuts, especially when the Cummins is a better fit and infinitely better motor.