Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #11

Well, that's different...

Some days I question if I even want to log into this forum as I'm likely to find yet another thread about a Ford 6.0 diesel owner who has had a problem, and gotten stuck somewhere when the motor wouldn't run. As a person who has owned a 6.0 for 14 years and bought it new, I would never suggest anyone buy one. I have spent well over $10,000 in repairs on mine to make it supposedly bulletproof. And last summer my vacation was ruined, again, by the van not starting, this time due to a small leak in the high pressure oil system. It was a small part that was not changed when all the major repairs and preventive work was done the year before.

I sincerely hope your conversion goes well and you are happy when you are done.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #12

Thank you, I am looking forward to seeing how this project turns out as well.
Jeff94598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #13

Hi jeff, congrats on your van and project! How will this all work with CA emissions and smog check?
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinBlaine View Post
Hi jeff, congrats on your van and project! How will this all work with CA emissions and smog check?
It's been a long time since I looked into the specifics, but from what I remember, you are O.K. doing a gas-to-diesel swap provided that the MY of the engine is equal or "newer" to the MY of the vehicle it is being placed into, and still retains -all- factory-equipped emissions systems.

I have heard some smog/emissions refs are easier to get the paperwork done than with others (To make it "officially" powered by a diesel).

Puts the '97 vans into a great position- they can use just about anything (12v, 24v, commonrail, 7.3L, 6.0L) and be smog exempt in the state of CA. I can't remember if the motors had to be from the same manufacturer, or if you could mix and match dodge with Ford. Don't think I've ever seen or heard of a duramax swapped E-series.

Having a '97 with a 5.4L, I've long wondered about the prospect of a 24V or commonrail with a 'modern' transmission... but already having a Quigley conversion, I'm sure that shoehorning a diesel and big transmission in, in place of the 5.4L... Probably better off finding another 1997 van with ridiculous mileage/blown motor for cheap and starting there than ripping apart a perfectly good van.
Offroading_is_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #15

Smile Smog

Yes, after our investigation with the Bureau of Automotive Repair , we believe that if the motor is replaced with a newer year motor ( our donor is a 2006 6.0) and the same manufacturer (Ford) that upon inspection by a special "referee center" we should be good to go in future years.

Thanks, Offroading_is_Fun for your thoughts. In the end we will find out. Hopefully it will all go smoothly.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #16

I commend your courage and also shed a tear for your wallet. Very interested in following this build!
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff94598 View Post
Yes, after our investigation with the Bureau of Automotive Repair , we believe that if the motor is replaced with a newer year motor ( our donor is a 2006 6.0) and the same manufacturer (Ford) that upon inspection by a special "referee center" we should be good to go in future years.

Thanks, Offroading_is_Fun for your thoughts. In the end we will find out. Hopefully it will all go smoothly.
I plan to lurk around here for updates... I would be interested in knowing for certain if the diesel had to be from the same manufacturer or you could mix and match. Can't say I'm in the position to afford such an upgrade being a college student, but I am very interested to see how the conversion goes, what the pitfalls are, and hopefully (if it isn't prying for too much information) some rough idea of what the 'build cost' was, all said and done.

I thought DMD was going to be a shop in socal, but was surprised to see they're local here in Walnut Creek. Always good to meet other locals! ('Home' for me is Oakland... University effectively kicked us out early, so I'm not in Bozeman anymore..).

Erik
Old 04-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #18

Subscribed. Bay Area 6.0 owner looking forward to seeing your experience with DMD. I'll be looking for a shop soon for my rebuild.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #19

Hi Czar308,

Glad to have you watching. I will keep you updated as we go.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #20

Look as one of the bigger Ford Fan here, and not to be a turd in the punch bowl, I have to agree with Railvan. As many post on this forum about the 6.0 I am surprised to see someone actually putting in a 6.0 rather than pulling one out! I know it's too late so I will leave it alone and wish you the best of luck but I have to bow out with why not a Cummings? You needed a transmission and transfer case any way! I am doing a Chevy with a military 6.2 because it had a civilian 6.2 but it is all the same including the tranny to back axle. $400.00 for the entire pickup. I figure the military drove these 6.2 across the Middle East America would be a walk in the park!
Lilnuts 2 just posted a SMB for sale in Denver. In one of the pics it has a receipt for $12000.00 for a dealership motor with a total of just over 20K including install, YIKES!

Good luck I know those guys will do a good job and hopefully you can find some peace of mind for the dollar spent. Cheers!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote