Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #1

Hello

Just joined. My wife and I are currently researching vans to purchase. Want a diesel and need 4WD. Other then that we plan on building a basic van. We go to Baja quite a bit and skiing. Just trying to find out all about these vans. Thanks.

lowbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #2

How many do you need to sleep? Just the two? Would you rather have 4x4 or a diesel? Sometimes you can find a great van that has one or the other, but not both.

Also, what’s your budget?

You’ll learn a lot here.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

Here is a basic, 7.3 diesel 4x4 van for you. No top or much interior, but it’s the engine and drivetrain you want.

https://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/...875347585.html
Old 05-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

We need to sleep three and need seats with seatbelts for that many also. We are prepared to buy new if we can't find anything but I really want a diesel for the mileage and 4WD for snow and sand. I won't have another vehicle besides my motor bikes.

The Humbolt van looks cool. I'll run it by the wife. Thanks
Old 05-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #5

That Humbolt van would be simple enough to get looking better inside. Glueing some material to all that plywood would jazz it up inside very cheaply. Get a 3 passenger bench from a passenger van and install it directly behind the front seats. One of my buddies has his setup like that van and it works good for him. While camping he turns the bench seat to back up to the drivers wall. The factory Ford benches have quick release brackets that bolt through the floor of the van. Pulling the seat in and out is easy after the bracket is mounted.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

Thinking of doing a captains chair behind the drivers seat or maybe fab some sort of dinette with a seatbelt that folds down to a bed. Not sure yet.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #7

If you have a kid, remember they have to face forward until they are 8 years old. So that might factor into your layout design.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #8

Welcome, I'm also here learning so I've got nothing more constructive than that to add
NEIA Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #9

When I first built out our van, I used two factory bucket seats directly in front of the permanent bed. The nice thing is they have integrated seat belts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	27053
For our granddaughter, I built a bed to fit between the 2 front seats when they are swiveled towards each other. Down side, buying 2 swivels, and the bed isn't that big.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	27054

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbrow View Post
We need to sleep three and need seats with seatbelts for that many also. We are prepared to buy new if we can't find anything but I really want a diesel for the mileage and 4WD for snow and sand. I won't have another vehicle besides my motor bikes.
Seats, belts, safety and room for three with room for a motorbike inside? Look no further than the Ford Transit AWD coming out soon. Much better mileage than a diesel (I recommend the Ecoboost gas) and much less maintenance.

If, however, you really want to maintain one of the older Ford Die$els you will find no better company than here.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote