Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #1

Hello!

New here, and hoping for some good info, and perhaps a bit of help.

My family(wife and I and two boys) are interested in the ford 4x4 classic. As a family we do quite a bit of off-roading and camping, and think this vehicle is a great fit for our wants.

I would be very interested if there are any members in the SLC Utah greater area that has one, that might be able to talk me through theirs and perhaps let me look at it.

There are so many options available, I’d also listen to expertise or activity knowledge regarding layouts and options.

Those of you that own one or have owned one, do you still Iove it? What would you change, do different? What are some of the vehicles shortfalls?

We would be looking at the new offering, so the 7.3 unless I’m mistaken. Are there any thoughts on the reliability and serviceability?

Also, sportsmobile’s website has that green finish showing in many pics, but I didn’t see it as an option on their price sheet?

DYLANV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #2

Hello!

I think SMB has only made/delivered a few (like 1-2) of the new “Classic” model, so finding one in the wild is likely going to be a challenge. If you’re looking to buy a $140k vehicle a few $100 more for a plane ticket to Fresno to visit the factory is a worthwhile investment. I’d be a bit reticent to take the plunge on the first year of the new 7.3 over the tried and true V10, but my guess is for resale value down the road the newer engine will be preferable. It’s all academic, as depending on when you order your van will make the choice for you since the V10 option will go away
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I think SMB has only made/delivered a few (like 1-2) of the new “Classic” model, so finding one in the wild is likely going to be a challenge. If you’re looking to buy a $140k vehicle a few $100 more for a plane ticket to Fresno to visit the factory is a worthwhile investment. I’d be a bit reticent to take the plunge on the first year of the new 7.3 over the fries and true V10, but my guess is for resale value down the road the newer engine will be preferable. It’s all academic, as depending on when you order your van will make the choice for you since the V10 option will go away
Thanks man, I appreciate the reply and info.

I’d be down to check out the older model classics as well, just to get a better idea about space and whatnot. But yes, I agree a trip to Fresno is in order.
DYLANV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #4

Hello!

Yes, if you just want to get an idea of different layout options, “regular” non-Classic SMBs will be mostly the same as the new Classic, I assume. I think the classic is a bit wider, but otherwise the same.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote