Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #1

Location: On an island in the Western basin of lake Erie Ohio
Hello all. New memeber with a 1990 Ford extended van with a "Coachman" camper .

I have been into VW campers for decades. Always envious of the bigger rigs so I pulled the trigger and bought one. I LOVE IT. It is a 1990 Ford e 250 extended van with a fiberglass high top and a "Coachman" classB camper conversion. It runs great and drives straight but the interior is 27 years old. I am a carpenter and am in the process of gutting it and rebuilding to my likes. I really enjoy the VW Westfalia layout and this is the direction I am leaning. I would also love to add a pop top and wondered if anyone has done this post factory...

Edit "I know I spelled "member" wrong in the title. I am slow, but not that slow.

New here and any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

QuigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuigRig View Post
I have been into VW campers for decades. Always envious of the bigger rigs so I pulled the trigger and bought one. I LOVE IT. It is a 1990 Ford e 250 extended van with a fiberglass high top and a "Coachman" classB camper conversion. It runs great and drives straight but the interior is 27 years old. I am a carpenter and am in the process of gutting it and rebuilding to my likes. I really enjoy the VW Westfalia layout and this is the direction I am leaning. I would also love to add a pop top and wondered if anyone has done this post factory...

Edit "I know I spelled "member" wrong in the title. I am slow, but not that slow.

New here and any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Welcome [emoji106][emoji2]! Would love to see some pictures of the rig, we like those here...
Since you already have a high top why would you want to go to a pop top with lower height? iMHO you rig is more functional now... unless your wanting to pop your fixed top...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #3

Will learn how to post pictures this afternoon.

Yes wanting to pop the top already there. It is about 2 inches to low to stand up straight. Plus having the VW pop top all these years I love the fact that I can sleep another or others up there at a lift of the top. Does anyone know of kit like this? I have one from a parts Westy I was going to explore installing.

I am from Northern Ohio by the way...

Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #4

Many folks have adapted Westy tops on full size vans. If you've got the top you're already there. Cut a hole and bolt it in. The tops are getting really hard to find.

And Welcome memeber

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #5

Sounds like he already has a high top on the van and wants to "pop" that. @QuigRig check out Colorado Camper Van (CCV); they do pop-ups based on high tops and might be able to retrofit yours.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #6

@BrianW That is it exactly. The top is from the "Coachman" conversion. Thanks for the information. Loving the help from this group.
I found out yesterday that this conversation was "winterized". Not sure if it happened with all "Coachmans" but there is a layer of spray on foam on the van walls. It is not thick. Maybe an inch or so. I do not know if it is on the top yet.
Thanks again.

Patrick