Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #1

Hello from the Ozarks!

Greetings from Springfield, Mo.

Just bought a 2011 E-150 cargo to "camperize", and looking forward to learning about the tips and tricks from this community.

Back in '99 I bought a new F-150, 4x4 XLT extended cab, loaded at tat time and it was a great truck, it had 86xxx miles on it and shined like new. But it was also just getting old and sold it to my neighbor a few months ago......I was kicking myself for selling it and had to see it everyday.

Bought a 2001 Astro AWD, for a mild off road van to build a camper, it didn't take long to figure out that it wasn't big enough for the 2 of us and our 70 pound barker. Traded it this past week in on the Ford and I'm very pleased.

I'm considering the 4x4 thing, but I took my truck everywhere I wanted or needed to go and rarely used the 4x4, so I need to justify that $$$$.

I'd like to pop the top and I'm going to Pick N Pull later to see what I can scrounge up, hope there is a good top there.

I'll try to learn how to post pics, I know folks want to see pics and not read my babbling mind, I'll save that for a build thread.

Looking forward to the experience here and thanks in advance for the guidance on our vans.

Evango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evango View Post

I'm considering the 4x4 thing, but I took my truck everywhere I wanted or needed to go and rarely used the 4x4, so I need to justify that $$$$.

I'd like to pop the top and I'm going to Pick N Pull later to see what I can scrounge up, hope there is a good top there.
Welcome! Here are two companies that make lift kits for 2WD vans: Action van and Camburg.....in case you are interested.

Used penthouse tops are unicorns, although there has recently been a rash of them for sale here due to folks changing to CCV pop tops. Good luck with your search....and, unless you are really good with fiberglass work, you'll need a top for the specific van body that you have. Fortunately, the Ford RB and EB tops fit all Ford vans since 1992. EB's fit EB vans and RB's fit RB vans...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Welcome! Here are two companies that make lift kits for 2WD vans: Action van and Camburg.....in case you are interested.

Used penthouse tops are unicorns, although there has recently been a rash of them for sale here due to folks changing to CCV pop tops. Good luck with your search....and, unless you are really good with fiberglass work, you'll need a top for the specific van body that you have. Fortunately, the Ford RB and EB tops fit all Ford vans since 1992. EB's fit EB vans and RB's fit RB vans...
Thank you, I found 3 tops that fit my van in 1 junk yard here in town, one is a high top EMT type, the issue is the high rear doors will need some fab work and while the idea was hot I'm getting cold feet now, in fact I think I'll pass on them for now. I have a lot of work to do and my priority is using it, not abusing it in the driveway.

A lift is a possibility, but my GF will need a ladder to get in, me too if I'm not careful.

My official build start date will be 8-1, just gathering materials today.

After the storage shelves and drawers are removed (which may be transformed and utilized) I'll start with my electrical runs, insulate, then floor, ceiling and then the walls. Appliances will go in, fridge, sink, stove, micro, toaster oven, and a new Alpine in the dash. A custom console will carry my window shaker AC with venting duct work. A roof rack and I might call it done.
Evango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #4

Welcome bud,don't forget the telescoping aluminum ramp for fur kid if you lift it,weld tech also sells van lifts
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
Site Team

From the Ozarks, reminds me of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Great music, but I'm certainly dating myself by referencing them.

Welcome to the forum.

Herb