Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #1

Hello/Heartbroken/2.0 Build

Hi All,
Long time lurker, but never really needed to post as had my dream ‘08 E350 SMB fully tricked to heart’s desire. I was working out of country in Australia for 4 months and within 24hrs of returning home to NorCal I was downloading all the camping gear and en route to load up all the work gear to head to SoCal. Heavily jet lagged (like up for 36hrs) I nodded out for split second on narrow winding road (I’ve done a million times) dropped a wheel off no shoulder and flipped it @35mph. Totalled.

So lucky to walk away. Concussion (seat belt on always of course), but stepped out of the now empty windscreen, van ended on passenger side. Brutal. But could have been much worse had it not been 9500gvw as would have slid further than the 2 narrow lanes after flipping, down ravine into river. Still can’t believe it. Pop top held up extremely well have to say, and Jonathan was amazing help at SMB West to help me get excellent insurance payout. Got 93k payout on 120k build. That’s after 10 yrs! Thx again Jonathan. If pple are morbidly fascinated I will post pics but it still hurts to look at. I do have a couple of small items that I’d be happy to give away (you pay ship): SMB kitchen that latches onto side door / ‘08 hood bra / bug deflector for hood. The rest was totaled and part of the Insurance.

So ashamed and heartbroken I’ve been reluctant to share, but finally digging out of my misery and starting on the 2.0. Actually have been deeeeep down the rabbit hole for a while on options but am finally narrowing it down. Have a few key questions to really get the ball rolling, but fear my questions are too Newb and will show how little I know despite 10 yrs in SMB.

Anyhow.... so much has evolved in the last 10 yrs with the insane options now avail, when In my truly uninformed state in ‘07 moving from NYC to NorCal heart was fully set on full blown SMB E350 and it is pretty turnkey at SMB w/ soup to nuts build. I’m going a little insane on narrowing it down... I don’t even know where to begin, but I gotta re-invest the insurance payout or get dinged on the income. Luxury problem.

Some things have changed for me since the last of my Bachelor cash went to the SMB. Now bigger family kids 9 & 11 and want to get in some more trips before they are truly uninterested in hanging w/ parents! And we all have input now from the last 10yrs. OK, sorry I digress. But hopefully it will inform you on where I’m trying to go with things. I’ll stay away from the myriad of interior options that are melting my brain and just start with the 1st step on the van itself.

Basic use of van: 1)work involves hauling up to 1200lbs of equipment/10-20 Pelican cases. Banging back & forth on I5 to LA then download, but it was often a tiresome puzzle pack in SMB and restricted sleeping en route (sometimes needed stealth/no pop top). 2) Bicycle racing nationwide, kitesurfing/surf, and family ski trips from CO to CA/Canada. 4x4 really just needed primarily for winter mountain conditions, then not much more than dirt/gravel roads, sometimes deepish snow.

Definitely 4x4 170” high-top. Lotta L-track to secure gear in various configs. Boring you so hope you’ve stayed with it for key questions:

Refuse to go smaller than 35’s. To me the proportions on exterior to the eye require it. Don’t wanna go Dually (sp?), so very quickly I’m at the 2500 and pushing load limits. Will Airbags help those load limits??

Definitely going Agile RIP kit, or likely Van Compass Stage 6. I know I’m going to miss the 6” lift on 35’s of SMB but want the extra space and High roof of MB.
Build will center around lightweight and modular to achieve diff configs for family, work etc, but still want most of the bells/whistles. I do want a full time shower in there, and likely not a pop out style like the Halo shower in Storyteller Mode build.

Spoke to VanCompass / Mark Hesser. Informs me 35’s require no adaptive cruise control on 2019+ due to wheel speed sensor / GPS discrepancy throwing code etc. NP. Also he tells me 35’s will need the 4.18 gear ratio on rear end vs the 3.92 as the new 7sp transmission has a lot deeper overdrive than the old 5 speed. If you get the 3.92 gears, the van will not drop into 7th gear much on the 35’s. Great info, but after much digging this appears to be a custom order only??? 4.18 does come stock on some 3500’s but definitely not on any stock 2500’s so far as I can find.

This is where my knowledge starts to fall off the cliff. Apart from the Dually aspect, how is the construction different on 3500 vs 2500 to afford the extra payload?? It’s all independent suspension, not solid axle, right? So how is that engineered for the extra payload apart from adding a wheel? Without going to a 1 ton setup like the drool-worthy Bruce Banner #werollwithit, can I achieve a 2500 but add air bags for the limited times where I need to haul the work equipment and perhaps push the payload limit. I’m hoping to keep the final build GVW around 8klbs.

The other option I could maybe go is to dedicate a small enclosed trailer For the work gear but I’ve never towed anything and don’t really fancy that route although it might be the best way to go so maybe it’s time. But 170 + trailer rolling into LA sux.

Sooooo, I’m really trying to do:
170” 2500 4x4 on 35’s with VC stage 6 or = @8k GVW with 4.18 gear ratio.
Am I delusional or vaguely on a doable plan?

Thank you v much for indulging this read if you are still here.
Best
Will

Tookmyhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #2

Garage
Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are ok and able to move forward.

I understand trailer towing in CA means max 55mph.

What you want to do makes sense to me. You can increase the cargo capacity with bags, springs, etc. but unless you get an upfitter like SMB to change the designated GVWR you may go over that if it matters to you. I don’t know much about Transits, but I suppose there is no SRW 3500.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #3

"170” 2500 4x4 on 35’s with VC stage 6 or = @8k GVW with 4.18 gear ratio.
Am I delusional or vaguely on a doable plan?"

If you end up with a van that's over GVWR, and end up needing warranty work, you're going to have a bad time.... Ditto any VSC issues resulting from the lift and taller tires. Proceed at your own risk.

BTW - The Sprinter has a solid rear axle. The dually axle is rated for more than the SRW axle, although you do have the optional super-single tires available on the DRW axle. But you won't find any off-road tires that can be swapped with these and still maintain the same load rating.

From everything you describe, you sound like you might be better with an E-series cutaway....
Old 08-16-2020, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
"170” 2500 4x4 on 35’s with VC stage 6 or = @8k GVW with 4.18 gear ratio.
Am I delusional or vaguely on a doable plan?"

If you end up with a van that's over GVWR, and end up needing warranty work, you're going to have a bad time.... Ditto any VSC issues resulting from the lift and taller tires. Proceed at your own risk.

BTW - The Sprinter has a solid rear axle. The dually axle is rated for more than the SRW axle, although you do have the optional super-single tires available on the DRW axle. But you won't find any off-road tires that can be swapped with these and still maintain the same load rating.

From everything you describe, you sound like you might be better with an E-series cutaway....

Great info thank you. So do the up-fitters declare the GVWR once finished w/ the upfit? I recall SMB did do that. And is that newly declared GVWR tied to Vin thus easily looked up by MB? Otherwise how would MB know that it is over in a warranty situation? Would they actually weigh it?
And sorry but what is VSC issue??

And even more ignorant question... How/what exactly is GVWR on say a 2500?? Is it the actual weight of the empty Cargo van + the 2500 payload?? So for example actual vehicle weight is 5000 lbs + 2500 = 7500GVWR. Is that how it works?

Vehicle definitely going to an up-fitter and then Van Compass or Agile, so yes thanks for that pointer Marret/Chris. Are you saying it’s definitely the up-fitter who determines new GVWR not lift/suspension guys?
I guess this is all part of my re-entry into van world where if I don’t end up at SMB what is best path??? I buy vehicle, take to up-fitter, then take to lift/suspension with new weight and get exact leaf packs made. Or is it best to have up-fitter do everything and have lift package sent to up-fitter for installation? I’m thinking each co should stick to what they are specialized in and I make the road trips?

And yes I definitely thought about the SMB cut off option and would be hard pressed not to go that way if it was a 6.7 Diesel!! Not going Gas/overseas and gotta say I’m kinda over dealing with Ford. Seem to be so many Smart guys/outfits all over the country Now who are used to working on MB Sprinters these days, I’d rather give it to the locals.

Also, I need that High top Sprinter living space and stealth atp, as much as I LOVED my Penthouse (kids too), we are all a tall family and E350 is a pretty low Groucho Marx shuffle without the PH up.
I want the full time interior shower and bigger living space to live inside it for few days here and there for my traveling Gig work nowadays. Outside shower was great but for city stuff it was the one challenge and had to hunt the gym/friend showers.

Thx for the rear axle clarification.

Thanks v much for the responses!
Old 08-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #5

Also looking for info on that 4.18 vs 3.92 gear ratio. I don’t want to have a dealer talk me into a 1yr wait custom order from Germany if I don’t have to!!
Cheers
Old 08-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #6

You're saying you can't go gas because you plan on shipping it overseas? Are you aware the limitation of a modern EPA-compliant diesel?

GVWR's are established by the OEMs based on limitations of every chasis, suspension, brake, spring, and tire component. SMB did used to up-rate the E-series (up top component limits). Ford allowed that. MB does not allow that. Whitefeather was issued a cease and desist for violating weight ratings and sending vans out the door with inoperative VSC, and hence they aren't an option anymore. It just sounds like you're asking to very much do things the Sprinter was never designed for...
Old 08-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #7

The opposite. Don’t plan on overseas so would prefer the Diesel mpg based on intended payload of build. SMB E350 EB @9500lbs got 15mpg w/ a tailwind on a good day. Don’t much fancy <10mpg of gas in that 8-10k lbs range.

Good to know re Whitefeather etc. Nah, not looking to do anything more than the tons of other 2500 170” builds I see by outfits like OV and MyTourig, SMB etc. I guess I’m just trying to do it on 35’s like the Thule van, rather than 33’s But wanna understand what I have to do to get there. Like getting the 4.18 gears etc. How/where to source that? And best way fwd to start.... bc I fkd up the SMB by going w/ the 6.0L bc it was avail and I didn’t know any better!! (& SMB were prolly trying to move it ;-))

So I’m trying to get the foundation building block bang on this time around.

Cheers
Old 08-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #8

Very sorry to hear about your van. I would greatly appreciate the door box and bra. Joe
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #9

Garage
Definitely a bummer Tookmyhandle! Glad you came out of it as well as you did.
Have to ask the obvious: what Insurance Company did you have ??? For the age of the Rig, that settlement is amazing.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #10

I second the insurance question? Thank you. Joe
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote