Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2018, 02:42 AM   #31
Gone Traveling
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPDX View Post
Hello Vocal Virgo,

I've had a 136" wheelbase Promaster with a pop top for a year and a half now. I've a few issues but nothing Sportsmobile Fresno didn't help me with via email or when I visited them.
I'm sorry to hear about you troubles.
--Rich




Wait- You had your 2017 ProMaster poptop for 1.5 years?? I was told mine was the first one ever done! WTF?
Did they just instal the top, or do the conversion too? And what problems have you had? Are any of them similar to mine? And agian, why did they tell me mine was the first one they installed? Mine was done in October 2017. This is so strange...
__________________

VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
Wait- You had your 2017 ProMaster poptop for 1.5 years?? I was told mine was the first one ever done! WTF?
Did they just instal the top, or do the conversion too? And what problems have you had? Are any of them similar to mine? And agian, why did they tell me mine was the first one they installed? Mine was done in October 2017. This is so strange...
Actually it's a 2016 Promaster. We took delivery of it January 2017. SMB west did the conversion.

I've had some issues and problems but nothing like yours and I feel that SMB has been helpful in solving them.
__________________

RichPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
MountainBikeRoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: OrangeCounty, CA
Posts: 1,275
Garage
VocalVirgo,

It sure does seem like a bit of mystery persists, no??
Just found this post from back in 2015, it documents Sportsmobile West building out their first ProMaster Penthouse (and high-roof) conversions.

Sooooo....yours definitely wasn't the first, if that's what they claim.
This is from May 3rd of 2015.

Sportsmobile’s New ProMaster RV
Auto Ramblings – Get Your Auto News Here! » Blog Archive » Sportsmobile’s New ProMaster RV





Addtionally, this picture of the completed Penthouse-top Promaster is on Sportsmobile's Facebook page --- dated July 20, 2015.

https://mobile.facebook.com/sportsmo...411354/?type=1

"The Ram Promaster looks great with the Penthouse top! #sleeps4 #vanlife"

__________________
Mike T
___________________
'95 Ford E250 RB30 PH
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Well, when/if you ever settle up with SMB West (are you still pursuing a settlement?) bring the van out to CO and have Colorado Campervan swap on one of their tops for you....(famous last words....) that’s what I did.
I've seen a few Promasters with Colorado Campervan tops around the Denver metro area. And we had a chance to chat with an owner parked at an Open Space trailhead last year - he seemed quite pleased with his unit, although he had CCV do the top only and the rest of the build at another shop.

I know CCV has its own history of customer service difficulties, but at least Promaster tops still seem to be an active part of their product line.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #35
Gone Traveling
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
VocalVirgo,

It sure does seem like a bit of mystery persists, no??
Just found this post from back in 2015, it documents Sportsmobile West building out their first ProMaster Penthouse (and high-roof) conversions.

Sooooo....yours definitely wasn't the first, if that's what they claim.
This is from May 3rd of 2015.

Sportsmobile’s New ProMaster RV
Auto Ramblings – Get Your Auto News Here! » Blog Archive » Sportsmobile’s New ProMaster RV





Addtionally, this picture of the completed Penthouse-top Promaster is on Sportsmobile's Facebook page --- dated July 20, 2015.

https://mobile.facebook.com/sportsmo...411354/?type=1

"The Ram Promaster looks great with the Penthouse top! #sleeps4 #vanlife"

I’ve seen the last picture on their website. But my salesman who’s name thankfully I have forgotten, LOL, told me that it was a photo shopped picture of what “the van would look like“. He told me mine was the first that was ever being done. Why did he say that? I wonder if that other van was done at one of the other factories and this guy just had no idea. Well, he was also the same person who told me that this new roof for this new van that they just manufactured, will give occupants 6 feet of standing height when the van was in driving mode: roof down bed in place. I found out the hard way just moments after I took delivery that he was about 5 inches incorrect. And that was my only stipulation – that my van had standing out. But whatever. I’m not going to carry on a rock hard hate for these people. I’m just going to enjoy my van, now that is completely finished and build out – and beautiful :-), and grind some pavement.
At this point, nothing I find out through this forum would surprise me. But I’m glad it’s here :-).
Thanks for the info!
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #36
Gone Traveling
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Well, when/if you ever settle up with SMB West (are you still pursuing a settlement?) bring the van out to CO and have Colorado Campervan swap on one of their tops for you....(famous last words....) that’s what I did.
Yeah, I’m is settled as I’m going to be. They sent me the transfer ability of the five-year/unlimited warranty document for the next owner if I sell, and Jonathan failed and I had quite the phone call last Friday. So, sans anymore problems… I won’t have to go down to Fresno for more repairs. Everything is fixed as of now. They will hopefully send me more leak seal in the mail and then I won’t have to worry about anything if another problem arises. Actually, the boyfriend and I talked about bringing the van to CCV and seeing if they could put their top on and taking SMB’s off. But in the end we decided it would just be another $8000 wasted that we shouldn’t have to spend to correct what shouldn’t have been such a poorly implemented job in the first place. But I’ll tell you, if the top fails, especially after the warranty is up and we still own it, I would definitely go that route. If they’re able to do it, and obviously they are because you had yours done like that, if mine goes bad I would definitely have Colorado Camper Van take it off and put one of theirs on.
But for now… No more problems, no complaints.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
MountainBikeRoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: OrangeCounty, CA
Posts: 1,275
Garage
Hey VocalVirgo, glad you've concluded that Sportsmobile West finally did "right enough" by you (with the Warranty Transfer document) to finally let things rest.

(And holy crap....haha, if I ever have any kind of seemingly-unresolvable customer service issue with a business, can I hire you to go to bat for me?? )

Not to drag this though the muck any more than it surely has already ---- but just for the sake of clarification (and for others reading this post and wondering about the apparent reality of a "prototyping stage" of the ProMasters) -- those first ones were indeed done at Sportsmobile West, and from the sounds of it all the way back in late 2014. (At least according to the author of that May 2015 news posting I shared with you.)

From that article:
"Several RV outfitters have adopted the Promaster, and Sportsmobile is in the process of completing their first RV versions which will be made available to the public soon.

The trip I made in October of 2014 to Sportsmobile West was during the construction phase of the vehicle and the model I looked at was the low cut version which will have a typical electric penthouse (PH) canvas sided top designed to lift with the push of a button. I also looked at an empty hard top model that was waiting to be converted."


The in-progress penthouse-top ProMaster he photo-documented at that time looks to absolutely be the same van as the one shown completed in the SMB website photos....and that's no photoshop.

Anyway! Rock on man. You seem to be crafted from raw, concentrated perseverance!!! And we are glad to have you here.
__________________
Mike T
___________________
'95 Ford E250 RB30 PH
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #38
Gone Traveling
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hey VocalVirgo, glad you've concluded that Sportsmobile West finally did "right enough" by you (with the Warranty Transfer document) to finally let things rest.

(And holy crap....haha, if I ever have any kind of seemingly-unresolvable customer service issue with a business, can I hire you to go to bat for me?? )

Not to drag this though the muck any more than it surely has already ---- but just for the sake of clarification (and for others reading this post and wondering about the apparent reality of a "prototyping stage" of the ProMasters) -- those first ones were indeed done at Sportsmobile West, and from the sounds of it all the way back in late 2014. (At least according to the author of that May 2015 news posting I shared with you.)

From that article:
"Several RV outfitters have adopted the Promaster, and Sportsmobile is in the process of completing their first RV versions which will be made available to the public soon.

The trip I made in October of 2014 to Sportsmobile West was during the construction phase of the vehicle and the model I looked at was the low cut version which will have a typical electric penthouse (PH) canvas sided top designed to lift with the push of a button. I also looked at an empty hard top model that was waiting to be converted."


The in-progress penthouse-top ProMaster he photo-documented at that time looks to absolutely be the same van as the one shown completed in the SMB website photos....and that's no photoshop.

Anyway! Rock on man. You seem to be crafted from raw, concentrated perseverance!!! And we are glad to have you here.
I am glad as well. I had no more time to spend fighting with them. And you definitely do not want me going to bat for you, I have a filthy aggressive mouth. It’s a talent I can only conjure up when someone is doing something really terrible or wrong, LOL. It’s a gift that only gives at the right moment… The right situation. I feel gypped. I turn into a crazy person. Like a good witch, LOL.

And yes, I totally agree with you, those in-stage photos look to be exactly the same one that is on their older version of the website. I don’t know why the salesman told me that mine would be the first one. Maybe he thought it was a selling point and I would brag about it to people, which I have… and now I feel stupid.

All I know is now I am free to enjoy my full-time travels again and be done with the one drama-monkey that was on my back. Definitely moving on…
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:39 AM   #39
Gone Traveling
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
man, what a load of crap. so sorry you are getting treated like this. total bs.

that was a good read though. you have a great sense of humor regarding a really fucted up situation. glad you arent so tainted from this ordeal that you arent getting out and enjoying your van though. campervans are great that way. help you forget all the other crummy things in your life
Yeah, I’m hitting it ruin my van experience. As a matter of fact I’m leaving in a few days for 3-4 months to tour the US. :-)
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #40
Site Team
 
daveb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turlock Ca
Posts: 10,083
Garage
Wonder if SMB meant yours was the first build of that year? Also I'm pretty sure that model in the Autoramblings article was their proto-type. That was a long time ago and they might have made changes throughout the years.
__________________

__________________
2006 Ford 6.0PSD EB-50/E-PH SMB 4X4 Rock Crawler Trailer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×