Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #21
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Hello! Wish I had found this forum sooner!

Well, when/if you ever settle up with SMB West (are you still pursuing a settlement?) bring the van out to CO and have Colorado Campervan swap on one of their tops for you....(famous last words....) that’s what I did.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #22
Gone Traveling

Thanks you guys. Yeah, I’m not going to let this taint me. The folks over at sportsmobile west really suck. I looked at some screenshots from their old website and it actually says that in all of their years of business only *2* people have been unsatisfied. They actually have a little picture there with a graphic number 2 showing that’s how many people have been unsatisfied in therir over 50 years of business. Hysterical.
But if anyone wants a top put on their existing them, their new website says that they now have immediate openings with no weights, because the Mercedes 4 x 4 chassis has been delayed. So because I had a little time on our hands I texted with one of the guys who works there and he said that there’s no issue with the Mercedes chassis coming in, it’s that their orders have been slowing down to the point where they can take a roof only job immediately. It used to be a few month waiting list for a roof only job. But apparently they have enough time on their hands now that they can take them immediately. Good. That’s what they get for being awful to their customers.

And no, they still have not sent us the document that we need for the next owner. They promised they would have it drawn up and sent to us by today, and I guess they still have three hours, but they’re not going to do it because they never do it they’re going to say or they lie about it if they say it. Wow. This is literally been the worst consumer experience I’ve ever had. A bunch of bad people are making bad decisions over there.
I’m going to have a field day posting all the video that I’ve taken. :-)
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:30 PM   #23
Gone Traveling

After leaving Peter Deltoro and Jonathan Feld (Feldman?) each very nasty voicemails, Jonathan called me back and for the last 5 minutes you’ll all be happy to know that we had a calm and adult conversation about my situation and the top they put on my van. He conceded that some things were not done correctly, and I was very #SorryNotSorry for my emails and voicemails – because quite frankly, and I did make this clear to him- anyone in my situation would have behaved the same exact way, including him if the tables were turned. He kind of sort of agreed.
But you’ll be happy to know, I got the document but I have been demanding for months now. Boom. Just like that. If I choose to sell my brand new van, the full five year warranty comes with it.

If anyone has five minutes to spare and wants me to copy and paste the email I sent to the staff at Sportsmobile *after* the phone call, your wish is my command. But for now, enjoy this copy of the document, that one they say that they don’t do for anyone- ever… Except for me and the other guy on this forum that they did it for :-).

So finally my Sportsmobile nightmare experience has come to a close and I can finally enjoy the sh*t out of my travels. Or sell it with the full warranty :-).

(i’m not a troublemaker, but strangely I have enjoyed sharing this experience with you guys on this forum.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sportsmobile West.pdf (387.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-11-2018, 02:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
Jonathan Feld (Feldman?
Jonathan Feld is president of SMB West and runs the operation. His father, Alan Feld, is the owner of SMB West.

I really am sorry you have had this experience....and I hope that it is or gets resolved to your satisfaction. I am not taking sides and I am not doubting your account, but I will say that having been on this board for 8 years and having read posts from hundreds of people, yours is the only situation I know of that has gone this badly. Maybe it's just the Promaster new situation. I don't know. It does surprise me, because so many of us know Alan and Jonathan personally as well as the build managers, and have had good relationships with them. And again, I very much hope you feel it is resolved or gets resolved.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:41 AM   #25
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Jonathan Feld is president of SMB West and runs the operation. His father, Alan Feld, is the owner of SMB West.

I really am sorry you have had this experience....and I hope that it is or gets resolved to your satisfaction. I am not taking sides and I am not doubting your account, but I will say that having been on this board for 8 years and having read posts from hundreds of people, yours is the only situation I know of that has gone this badly. Maybe it's just the Promaster new situation. I don't know. It does surprise me, because so many of us know Alan and Jonathan personally as well as the build managers, and have had good relationships with them. And again, I very much hope you feel it is resolved or gets resolved.
Thanks for the clarification on Jonathan’s last name. I blanked out there, lol.
As of today, everything has been worked out. We got the document stating the fully transferable warranty, Jonathan and I both got out our true feelings/frustrations for one another and the numerous problems I have had since the top was installed. I have always thought that “Nothing goes off without a hitch”, but my situation was quite the debacle. And honestly, I believe the physical problems I have had with the top is because mine was the first ProMaster to ever be done. The photo on their website is photoshop, to show prospective customers what the top WILL look like. After installing mine I think they became aware of a few design flaws. For example: the front part of the roof hitting and pulling the radio antenna housing out of the roof, therefore leaving a way for water to get into the ceiling of the cab, and another is the roof covers the satellite antenna making the head unit’s navigation and satellite radio useless. My problems were real, and I’m sure it’s because my van was the first ProMaster to be done, with newly designed tops having just been designed and manufactured for it. I’m sure they were as frustrated when they realized the new roofs were not quite right, as I was about my roof having so many issues. Believe me, I didn’t want to have all these problems, and I’m no drama-queen, but my situation was legitimately messed up. Again, nothing goes off without a hitch, but this was a lot to deal with given it was a brand new top install. The fact of the matter is none were ever installed before mine. They should have built one of their own first, you know, to find out exactly how it would be and get the kinks out.

After my phone call today with Jonathan, I am settled and feel that we have agreed upon, and worked things out. And they drew up the warranty document. So at this point I’m satisfied. This was long coming, but everything works as it should now. But would I do it again? Absolutely not. I have wanted a Sportsmobile since I was a kid. I was a #SuperFan. Now I have one and it’s great after a long and bumpy road. I was in no way trying to bash them, I was just keeping it 100. I am a big believer in positivity, but also a big believer in speaking up when there’s a problem- even if the speaking up is in a loud manner in order to be heard. If I learned anything from all this, it’s that things can go sideways at anytime and it shouldn’t be personal. I respect Jonathan for expressing his dislike towards me (and believe me, it was warented because I have been a very difficult unhappy customer) and I respect him for finally making things right and putting an end to this.

Hopefully I will have and enjoy my van, that we built by hand exactly how I wanted it, for a long time. And I am feeling good and relieved about the top now working correctly, even if it isn’t perfect.

I want to learn from other members, enjoy their posts and share some good stories and photos upcoming of my own. :-)
Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #26

‘... like sands through an hour glass, so are the days of our lives...’

-cue theme music.

EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #27

Hello Vocal Virgo,

I've had a 136" wheelbase Promaster with a pop top for a year and a half now. I've a few issues but nothing Sportsmobile Fresno didn't help me with via email or when I visited them.
I'm sorry to hear about you troubles.
--Rich

RichPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #28

Garage
Our Sprinter PH top is the bane of our existence

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-it-17740.html
hildems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
My problems were real, and I’m sure it’s because my van was the first ProMaster to be done, with newly designed tops having just been designed and manufactured for it.
First ProMaster or not, it's rookie to think you can deliver customer-ready without prior staging/testing/verification of ANY new system or feature.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildems View Post
In the thread above, 86Scotty reassured electric PH-ers that manuals are clumsy too ... saying "I've been around a few manual pop-tops and you always have to climb, push, pull, get dirty, get wet, etc. to get an SMB pop top to sit centered. "

I didn't know that, and I keep feeling luckier and luckier with my year 2000. If I'm not parked off-level, my manual PH centers perfectly each time, don't even have to stuff extra canvas back under it or anything. Parked a little off-level means an extra grunt to one side (as I hang my entire body weight to get it down, tho) and occasionally requires a second try.

This nirvana may not last though if I forget to latch it again before a quick acceleration to 60-70 mph. I've forgotten to latch a total of 3 times (finally made a checklist - DOH!) but only once did it fly up at such speed, and it felt a little more bruising.