Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #1

Hey from the UK

Hi

My names jeff and I am from England UK

I have just got the van of my dreams, a Chevy G20 Day Van and don’t know where to start with the rebuild I plan to undertake,

I have always wanted one of these since my early teenage years and was approached with a great deal so I jumped in with both feet and now feeling knee deep in the ——t.
I know all the front Bearings, ball joints and bushes etc need to be done.

Any ideas or help would be welcome and grateful.
Attached Thumbnails
E438B0ED-0C85-4171-B2F4-3C8CC7D1A887.jpg   696D575B-4F21-41EA-8166-E3A32B73E30E.jpg   3F87DBDB-08A3-4E13-BF1B-0C6743321123.jpg   1E665FED-A723-4811-AF9D-00F0242F28A5.jpg   B3A6CF97-FAB1-49ED-B927-EBD323E2E794.jpg  

RebelRX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #2

Welcome. First issue I see is the steering wheel is on the wrong side

We had a Pathfinder converted Chevy G30. Lots of fun.

Just start with the basics making everything work. A/C and heating issues can be very expensive, so it is s good place to start to determine if the rest is worth the investment of time and $$. Get it sorted out to be safe to drive and watertight. If there are no records of fluid changes, hen I usually do complete fluids change to establish s baseline (unless of course the fluids are all very clean).

Old 05-04-2018, 03:28 AM   #3

Thanks for responding
Even befor I turn it over I plan to drain and change all fluids them see where to go from there, what I have seen of the underneath is pretty solid but all ball joints have gone bad.
I was wondering what I can do to get a boost in power from that old V8, space look very limited.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #4

Very cool to see you here. I'm guessing this is how your van made it across the Atlantic:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I wouldn't drive that on A roads without putting on new tyres. One tread lets go and flap-wheels around at 60 mph and you'll be doing body work, too.

I agree with Ray that you should replace fluids: Engine, transmission, differential, brakes, power steering, coolant.

Then check brake pads and replace if the friction material is not thicker than the steel backing plate. At that age you'll probably need to replace most of the rubber hoses under the hood, and make sure you have no vacuum leaks.

Once it's road worthy and you know you'll be happy driving it, you can invest in paint, interior and accessories with confidence.
DrewMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #5

Is that acid rain residue or does moss just grow on everything in the UK?
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #6

Thanks

Jeremy Clarkson has aged, the good weather has done nothing for him.
I have a pic I found on another forum and it looked pristine.
The dude who gave me the deal has just left it sitting for over 10yrs without ever taking her for a decent drive.

I feel a little out of my depth with the project I am about to undertake, always played with little drift Jap cars.

This is her on English soil.
Attached Thumbnails
D53A8E3B-C663-4892-B131-E8CA349BF0EB.jpg  
Old 05-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #7

Bit of both

The S—T in the UK stains bad,

Just been left to rot for 10yrs, never washed, never even left to idle for long.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #8

I find the parts cheap enough for USA sellers but the postage is always as much as the item��
Old 05-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRX8 View Post
Hi

My names jeff and I am from England UK
I have always wanted one of these since my early teenage years and was approached with a great deal so I jumped in with both feet and now feeling knee deep in the ——t.
I know all the front Bearings, ball joints and bushes etc need to be done.

Any ideas or help would be welcome and grateful.
Welcome Jeff,
Chasing a dream is honorable. You obviously are the type of individual that see's the "potential" in things...a creative mind is a great thing.
A quick look at the photo's suggests you certainly have a project in front of you. Can only assume you're motivated to use the van as soon a possible, so I would recommend you prioritize your funds by addressing projects that will get the Van to a point that its safe to make trips in. Once you get out and use it you'll quickly discover your real "needs" & "wants".
A mobile "man cave" can be therapeutic!
Old 05-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #10

Welcome, start a thread in the homebuild section when you get started and keep us posted. Not too many Chevys or older Chevys here but there are fans. You'll also find lots of info and help on the Expedition Portal van thread. Many guys there are building older rigs of various types.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy van g20 chevrolet