Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

Hi everyone, introduction/advice

Hey y’all my name is Maxwell and this is my first post the the forum. I am 22 years old, I fight wild fires for the Forest Service and live out of my recently purchased 2005 Ford Econoline 350. I bought it right before the fire season started and had just enough time to build a super simple bed frame, lay down a couple sheets of plywood for my floors, do an oil change and with the help of my girlfriend make some curtains. It works for now being that I don’t spend much time in it during the summer because of work, however come winter I’ll be needing insulation and a few more mods to live comfortably.
I want to do the whole 4x4 conversion but I currently don’t exactly have a ton of money or time to throw at the van. I have been doing my research (yes ujoint off road haha) and think the best set up for me would be a 6inch lift on 35s and leaf springs, I’ll probably do the work in stages to save money so it will most likely be a 2wd with a locker for a while. I think that’s should get me by until I can afford to go full 4x4.
I lifted my old truck but that was a simple bolt on lift for a yota. I don’t know how to weld and don’t think I should attempt learning on my house. I definitely want todo some of the work on my own but a lot of it sounds is pretty gnarly, best case scenario would be for me todo some of the work to save money and the more in-depth work I’ll have a shop do.

What I would like to know from you fine people is...

* What are some good lifts for these vans?
* Where have y’all pulled axels from, any good suggestions for axel hunting? And off what vehicles?
* What work y’all think I could do on my own based on what experience I have told you about?
* Any good companies or fab shops in the LA area that you would suggest.
* Lockers/gearing? Have any of you installed them?
* Any good components or brands worth looking into?
* Tutorials explaining how to do a lot of the work?
* Any other suggestions or words of advice?
* Any steering stuff I should be aware of?
* Ball park costs of the work.

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Side note I have a 2014, single cab, 4x4 yota for sale, 3 inch lift low miles.

Maxeatsdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #2

Check out Weldtec Designs and Agile Off Road. They are in San Diego, but thats pretty close. Weldtec does lifts and Agile does 4x4 conversions as well as lifts and other stuff. Also, Action Van Suspension in San Clemente does lift kits as well. Those shops should get you started. They can do the work or you can get the kits from them and do it yourself.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #3

If you are going to go with the UJOR kit, then don't spend money on a 2wd lift kit AND the UJOR kit. You can essentially run the UJOR kit as a lift kit until you are ready to tear into the transmission/fuel tank/etc. To do that, you just install the front end kit with an axle and blocks for the rear. Once you install the front axle with the UJOR kit, you essentially have a lifted van but no transfer case, front drive shaft, etc to run it. You can drive it that way until you are ready to get the rest of the components. It will cost more than a 2wd lift kit, but at least you're putting money into an end result rather than burning the funds.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #4

Here's my parts list for doing a 2" level on E350 vans.
Spacers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F250-F...from=R40&rt=nc
Bolts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Front Shocks:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shock-Absor...from=R40&rt=nc
Rear Shocks:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monroe-5550...from=R40&rt=nc

For 6" I used Weldtec. You can have the brakets welded on prior to doing the install. Difficulty I would give it a 3/4. It took me roughly a 12 pack to complete. I got rims and tires off of Ebay and the 2" wheel spacers off of Amazon.

2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
If you are going to go with the UJOR kit, then don't spend money on a 2wd lift kit AND the UJOR kit. You can essentially run the UJOR kit as a lift kit until you are ready to tear into the transmission/fuel tank/etc. To do that, you just install the front end kit with an axle and blocks for the rear. Once you install the front axle with the UJOR kit, you essentially have a lifted van but no transfer case, front drive shaft, etc to run it. You can drive it that way until you are ready to get the rest of the components. It will cost more than a 2wd lift kit, but at least you're putting money into an end result rather than burning the funds.

What he said.

herb
Old 08-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #6

Welcome OP, read read read. It's all here.

How do you have time to be on here right now? Seems like the whole western U.S. is on fire! Either way, welcome and stay safe out there.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote