Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #1

Hi from ModVans!

Hi!

My name is PJ Tezza and I'm a co-founder and CEO of a relatively new camper van company called ModVans. Here is what we build:

You can see a floorplan, photos, videos, etc. at www.modvans.com.

I've been lurker here for a while, but I've hesitated to post because I build "small s" sportsmobiles. But several recent posts made me feel like I *might* not get shot down in flames...

We build our model CV1 camper van on the Ford Transit, so I can help with tech support on that platform. Right now, we have our hands 110% full building brand new CV1s, so I can't offer assistance with obtaining parts - we don't (yet) have the time, space or personal. But, we've done a lot of testing and R&D and I'm happy to answer questions and share what we have learned along the way.

If you've ever thought about turning your interest in camper vans into a business opportunity, we are hiring and looking for investors - just send me a message and let's start a conversation!

pjtpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #2

Great looking van... where are you located?

Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
Great looking van... where are you located?

Joe
Thanks Joe! We are in Ventura, CA.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #4

Welcome. Only bone I’d pick with you posting here is this thread should be in Vendors.

But otherwise, welcome. Tell us more!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Welcome. Only bone I’d pick with you posting here is this thread should be in Vendors.

But otherwise, welcome. Tell us more!
I've looked around and seen "Vendor Specials" and "Hobbyist Vendor Products" but I didn't think my post fit there - is there a dedicated Vendors area?

I'm not sure if there is anything specific you want to know, so I'll say this: ModVans is currently a team of 6 employees building the one model of modular camper van you see above. If you want to read about our business and our back story, I think the best writing we've done so far is here: https://www.startengine.com/modvans.

For this forum, I think maybe you'd be more interested in the tech stuff the rest of the world could care less about. You can read a lot about our R&D and manufacturing process at https://www.modvans.com/news (don't be fooled by "news" - the current set of articles is mostly tech stuff).

I've read through several very detailed posts about popup top lift mechanisms - you might be interested to read about our popup top R&D: https://www.modvans.com/news/update3-l3l/. In the photos above, you can see that we put our lift mechanism outside the canvas.

Other things you guys might find interesting: As part of our commitment to modularity, we mount a lot of things in custom built aluminum boxes under the van: Furnace, inverter, propane tank, grey water tank and high capacity battery so far. You can see some pictures at https://www.modvans.com/news/update5-j2j/.

I've also read a lot of posts that discuss various build quality issues - this is something we take very seriously. Pretty much all our substantial components are built out of welded aluminum pieces. We cut parts on our CNC router whenever possible to maintain consistency (and efficiency). All our wiring and most of our electrical components are marine grade - tin coated copper wiring and connectors, BlueSea switches, fuses, bus bars, etc..
Old 11-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtpj View Post
Thanks Joe! We are in Ventura, CA.

Welcome PJ.Spent 22 years living in Ventura, and another 8 in Oxnard, leaving CA about 3 years ago. Would have loved to see one of your conversions in person.

Herb
Old 11-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Welcome PJ.Spent 22 years living in Ventura, and another 8 in Oxnard, leaving CA about 3 years ago. Would have loved to see one of your conversions in person.

Herb
Thanks Herb! I'd like to visit New Mexico, so maybe we can make it happen!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #8

Garage
I like the "sharing" concept - always interested in someones new approach, inventions, and creative drive. Always been one to root for the little guy, so wishing you success on your start-up. Look forward to your contributions & updates.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I like the "sharing" concept - always interested in someones new approach, inventions, and creative drive. Always been one to root for the little guy, so wishing you success on your start-up. Look forward to your contributions & updates.
Thanks! We started customer deliveries in June, so, at this point, we are pretty deep into production. If you see anything on our production model you have questions about, ask away. By design, our first several deliveries didn't have many options, but now we are getting to CV1s that have unique or new options. For the next while, I would expect that most of our updates will be regarding the new options. For example, we just added options for an external shower, a removable chest of drawers, removable table and a high capacity battery mounted under the van. I take pictures as we go along, but it takes me a while to go back and write the updates and get everything posted.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
Site Team

I looked through some of your tech ("News") and like what you did to design and make the pop top.

1) is there enough structure to support a Yakima/Thule rail system?
2) have you determined a preferred solar panel mounting mechanism?
3) I love that you install a frame around the cutout
4) is the pop top raised and lowered manually, or is it powered?
5) if powered, what do you use to lift/lower the top, and where is that located?
6) love that you made custom molded fresh and grey water tanks!

Will be interested to see more of your conversions, especially more photos of completed vans.

Disclaimer: I am not in the market, just curious.

Herb