Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #1

Hi from Pennsylvania with a request for advice on where to start...

Hi All,

I've been lurking a while and I love everybody's vans.

I'm looking for my own, but I'm having a hard time even figuring out what to look for.

I love the looks of the ones with the racks and bumpers, but I can add some of that as we go.

I have an idea of what I want, but I may be way off base and would like to reach out for suggestions.

About us:
We are a family of four + two medium dogs. 2 younger kids in elementary school. We like the outdoors, open air, hunting, biking, hiking, etc.

Currently, I have a 2008 Nissan titan crew cab and a 26' Keystone passport ultralight camper. We average use about every other weekend. The truck does OK hauling the camper, but it is not exactly fun to haul for longer distances.

We typically pack what we can in the camper, leaving room in the capped bed for the dogs.

I have realized that the only real reason I NEED a truck bed is for the dogs and have wondered if a Van would be a nicer fit for trips in general, and perhaps do some van camping when the whole family isn't along instead of hauling the camper.

What I think I want: A conversion van in 2wd or 4wd, no skirting or ground effects, 250 or 2500 for hauling the camper.
  1. 2500 or heavier van for easier camper hauling
  2. non camping van, a conversion van with captains chair and fold down bed
  3. some offroad capabilities, but not rock crawling. ie. no lift needed, but don't like the skirting on most conversion vans
  4. stand up room, high roof
  5. hitch and hauling for the camper
  6. something fairly new with some airbags, etc
  7. robust engine and transmission that can take the hauling
  8. limited budget. I hate car payments with a passion, maybe 25k tops?

I can build some things myself, but really don't want to take on a huge project. I like the idea of the double bunks in the back like you see in some of the sprinter conversions with the moveable top bunk.

I don't need sinks, porto pots, showers (yet)

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I realize I'm not the first newb to step in here and show how uninformed I am...

rnm115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #2

I would consider looking at something like this:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...HER-5003363135

You could sleep above and the kids below with the dogs on the floor. I don’t know how the dogs would travel on the floor there because I know nothing about dogs. But it’s under budget and not way out of the way from you.

Likewise, this might be another option.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...18--5003321285

You need to go sit in some and see how the space fits you. A lot depends on the size of the kids, dogs and how much stuff you take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

Also, remember that a lot of these vehicles have build outs in the 25k-50k range plus the van. So in the $25k budget, you are looking at older rigs which may preclude a sprinter style van. But you could get an empty van and build it out yourself, but that depends on your skills and time.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

Garage
If you can score a decent van in that price range (do come along once in a while), then you can "invest" in upgrades to meet your needs down the road.
Grampswrx shared a couple earlier - also have a recent one on this forum:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post229969
If you haven't had an opportunity to really look through a Sportsmobile, I'll gladly extend the offer - Live in Annapolis MD which isn't too far away (all things considered). You may find some of the "accessories" offer a convenience you may prefer.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far!

Some clarification.

We can't really do a camper van unless it has 4 seats with seatbelts. I haven't seen too many that have 4 seats unless I'm missing something?

Also, from my recent research, it appears the only thing that can safely haul my camper with some safety factor would be a 250/350/2500/3500 type of chevy, ford, or dodge van.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #6

The van I shared above is a 2500 and has 4-5 seat belts. Sportsmobile typically adds seat belts on most seating. Even the white one has 4-5 belts but it’s a 150 with the smallest engine so it’s out.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:15 AM   #7

Thanks gramps, I missed the seatbelts the first time around. Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm looking for I guess. Perhaps a high top instead of the pop top, but if that was close, I would def. take a look at it.

Is there a FAQ on the most reliable engines and trailers for hauling? I was thinking I would need to go to 2500 Chevy for the 6.0L, but I'm not very familiar with the ford engines other than the 5.4 trinitron.

Thanks again guys
Old 07-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #8

Where are you in PA?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #9

Harrisburg
Old 07-02-2018, 04:56 AM   #10

I’m guessing your camper weighs 5k or less. If so you’ll be fine with a Chevy 5.3 or Ford 5.4 (3/4 ton, 250 or 2500) especially here in the east where it’s a little flatter. This should open up your options quite a bit, especially the Ford E250/350 with the 5.4 that so many SMBs are built on. Call Nancy at SMB north and see if she knows of any and be prepared to move fast. Good ones with desirable floor plans go quick.

Most of what you’ll find will have four belts but will have a sideways bench/benches and your kids won’t like that. It’s not as safe as forward facing either. I endured it on mine because the fp was great otherwise.

Look for a ‘50’, RB or EB50. Arguably the most popular and livable floorplan ever way back in camper van time.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote