Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2022, 08:26 PM   #1

Hi from Portland

Hey everyone, greetings from Portland Oregon! Acquired my Sprinter pop-top from Sportsmo ... uh, SMB West back in October 2020, and I've been enjoying the process of figuring out what works, how it works, and what modifications I'd like to make. And after my many years of owning a Westfalia, which resulted in my feeling that "German Engineering" is a pejorative term, it's a relief to now own a van made in South Carolina. Right?

I've been reading through the FAQ, and trying to get a feel for the layout of the forum, but I've still got a few questions and I'm hoping maybe someone could help with some guidance. They are:

1) As an owner of a van that was built during the SMB->Field Van transition (though clearly purchased -- and labeled -- as a Sportsmobile) I'm curious if someone could characterize the relationship between the forum and the Field Van/Sportsmobile divergence. For the sake of the forum, is a Field Van still a Sportsmobile?

2) It seems like the forum in most "general" sections (show and tell, electronics, etc) slants pretty heavily toward non-Sprinter builds, while it seems to me that most of the more modern builds that are being done seem to be Sprinters. Am I wrong about that? If I'm looking for Sprinter-specific discussions, is there somewhere else I should be looking?

3) I've got some very specific questions about a significant rear door leak/water issue that's existed since I took possession of the van. It's definitely an issue specific to the SMB build design, having to do with the rear door seal/interior fabric interface. SMB/Field hasn't really been much help, and I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a DIY solution. Where should I be posting questions about things like this? In the Sprinter-specific forum? In the "known problems" section? (Given the problem, I simply can't imagine that no-one else has faced this issue.) FAQs haven't really provided clear guidance.

Since I bought the van I've experimented with add-ons including roof racks to work with the pop top, Agile Offroad suspension upgrades, Owl Sherpa panels for the rear doors, and an ARB onboard air kit, so if any questions come up I'm happy to jump in with what I know. I also worked with SMB in Fresno to draw up some pretty nifty custom fly rod storage tubes that run inside the driver-side cabinetry in a RB150S type configuration, which have worked out great.

OK, I'll leave it at that. Cheers everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0360.jpg  

jkinpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:34 PM   #2

Hello! I have relatives in Portland and love visiting the PNW in general. Beautiful part of the country.

1) Despite the "Sportsmobile" name, this forum covers all sorts of topics regarding campervans in general.

2) I think there are plenty of people here who are knowledgeable about the Sprinter SMB builds, though you are correct, most of the vans you'll see here are Ford E-series

3) Don't think it suuuuper matters which subsection you post. Take your best shot and if there's a better subsection to post in, someone will let you know.

I'm relatively new on this forum as well, so I'm sure others will chime in with much more (and better) knowledge!
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:17 PM   #3

Welcome to the group.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:39 AM   #4

Garage
Welcome. Nice van.

For specific Sprinter issues, I would suggest the Sprinter forum.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:09 PM   #5

Welcome!

As said above, mostly Fords here but all are welcome and those of us with Sprinters are happy here. This is a very friendly group and all are willing to help, especially when it comes to helping you spend your $$$!

You will find more Sprinter specific information on the Sprinter Forum https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php but to repeat what I said above, friendlier people here with plenty of sharing and learning to be had.

Suggestion: Add your location so it can be seen when you post. It's very helpful when someone is responding.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:42 PM   #6

I have a 2019 sprinter low roof and the roof leaked on mine, too. Gottta love that Oregon rain!

Anyway, a body shop found 4 pinholes along the seam that runs the length of the roof near the gutter and shot epoxy into the holes with a syringe. They had to pressurize the inside of the van and put soap on the outside to find the holes they were so small. Wilsonville MB is the dealer that sent it to the shop and it was covered under warranty.

Good Luck!
dougmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote