Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What's the general consensus?
Used 4x4 Sportmobile 3 100.00%
New 4x4 Sportsmobile 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
The 50 is open and roomy plus gives you a lot of space to store stuff under and on the bed. But a walk thru model gives you access to the rear w/o having to go outside to open the rear doors. Most Voyager type tops have walk-thru type builds and those have a lot of overhead storage. As a big guy I feel cramped in a walk through Ford but the cutaway is a bit larger and depending on your combined size, the larger penthouse might be OK for two when sleeping up top. Maybe installing a Colorado Camper Van top on a used vehicle is worth a look-see.They have roomy space up top.

It seems to me if you're after a van that holds a couple of dirt bikes, finding a fully constructed build specific to your needs might be difficult to find used. SMB will add a top to a used vehicle in most cases but I haven't heard if they will do an interior build out on one...in the past they didn't.

Yeah lots of options. Do you really want to haul bikes inside? If I were building a vehicle to haul light motorcycles inside I'd be looking at a pop top with storage in the rear, a small galley with fridge, potable water tank/outside shower and a couple of swivel chairs so you can relax inside out of the weather.
If you frequent hotter weather and you want air conditioning, the larger vehicles are outfitted better for that. Just depends on what you really want or need. You can almost fit into anything depending how tight you want to make it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #12

If I were full timing, I think I would want a fixed, raised top. You don't have to put the top up and down every time and you always have standing room. The only thing with your situation is the 2 dogs. Most high tops only have 1 sleeping area so if you have big dogs, it might get pretty cramped. If you get a pop top version, you usually have 2 sleeping areas.

Whichever you decide, make sure the bed is wide enough for you and your fiancé to sleep comfortably. The penthouse bed and the gaucho bed are pretty narrow for two people (in my opinion).
Old 07-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #13

...and
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post

Whichever you decide, make sure the bed is wide enough for you and your fiancé to sleep comfortably. The penthouse bed and the gaucho bed are pretty narrow for two people (in my opinion).
Good point.......If the OP is not aware of Colorado Camper van tops, something to consider.....SMB PH beds are 39" wide, CCV bed is 50" wide.....and you can sit upright in a CCV top.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Here are two threads I recommend reading.

How do you use your SMB?
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-smb-7253.html

Why did you sell your SMB?
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...why-10382.html

The bottom line is really, really thinking about how you are going to use your rig, especially if you are going to full-time in it for a period of time.

Herb
Good stuff, thanks for the recommendations.
allenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #15

Garage
Yeah, I hadn't run across the colorado camper van top. That looks nice. So far I really like the idea of the pop top for the extra sleeping room, but I definitely also understand the benefit of having a fixed top with constant room to move around in the vehicle.

And the penthouse bed is really only 39" wide?! Basically a twin bed width... this is a good point, thanks.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:48 PM   #16

Garage
And the motos will definitely be on a trailer.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:05 AM   #17

Both tops are similar $$. CCV has a high and mid top.....member REF here has a high top and member 1der (and a few others) have the mid top. All of the CCV tops are electric. SMB are manual or electric.

Both companies offer a few variations of the bed......SMB has one piece and two piece beds for example, and Derek at CCV will do some minor customization as well.

I haul dirt bikes with a Harbor Freight folding trailer (or a Joe Hauler if I'm only hauling one) with a 5.4L without issue.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:07 AM   #18

If the bikes are on or in a trailer I'd go for a fixed top RB for the two of you, or if you have big dogs a fixed top EB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
...and

Good point.......If the OP is not aware of Colorado Camper van tops, something to consider.....SMB PH beds are 39" wide, CCV bed is 50" wide.....and you can sit upright in a CCV top.
Even more dramatic than that.. Here's my measurements comparing my old SMB top to replacement CCV top:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post158595
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Even more dramatic than that.. Here's my measurements comparing my old SMB top to replacement CCV top:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post158595
Good reference, thanks. I haven't seen any used 4x4 Sportsmobiles with one of these CCV tops installed. I'm guessing that's pretty tough to find.

As much as I'd like the ability to stand without raising the lid, I like the lofted bed and the additional space it provides more. We've got 1 big and 1 medium dog, but overall they're space hogs.