Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Are they better now? Definitely!
I'm not sure they are better. I am more attracted to the older designs than the new ones. The older units feel more solid and better built. Might be just an illusion.. or maybe it's my age!

N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #52

Quote:
How? No idea how you start in this hobby now. .
How do I thank this post 15 or 20 times?

I'm right there with you Shenrie. I have to hold my tongue a lot.

The trickle down has gotten so bad that you can't even buy a beat up ambulance on the cheap anymore. Look them up, what was 5 grand years ago is now 30.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:06 AM   #53

How?

New base vans are, relatively speaking, still priced the same as they were in the past. Not that they are cheap, just that they haven’t skyrocketed. Although a new Transit is definitely more than a new e-van was. Despite what Instagram shows, all you need to sleep in one is a foam pad and sleeping bag :-)

Heck, I used to sleep in the back of my 1980 Honda Civic station wagon…
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:38 AM   #54

Garage
^^^ I wasn’t referring to the actual vehicles themselves, but more speaking of the upfitters, but the premium price for the 7.3 vans is a good example. I could never find a 4x4 7.3 van for the price I paid in 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
I'm not sure they are better. I am more attracted to the older designs than the new ones. The older units feel more solid and better built. Might be just an illusion.. or maybe it's my age!
Specifically speaking I was directly talking about smb vs ccv. The ccv units imho are better in many ways than the smb tops, even though I prefer the looks of the smb top. Even if the only better quality is the width of the bed, it’s definitely an upgrade, for me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
How do I thank this post 15 or 20 times?

I'm right there with you Shenrie. I have to hold my tongue a lot.

The trickle down has gotten so bad that you can't even buy a beat up ambulance on the cheap anymore. Look them up, what was 5 grand years ago is now 30.
Agree. It’s frustrating. Life throws the curveballs and sometimes you’re catching them upside the head. I’m super glad we have our van but I also ponder selling it cause as it sits #vanlife has priced me out of being able to continue with the build we started. Luckily, the basic build we did way back is bare bones but we have sleeping quarters and in all reality, that’s all we really need to get out. I am very thankful for that. Especially for the sanity of my better half.

We sold our pickup to fund the van and sold a racecar to fund the pop top. I’m glad people are finding ways around the insane prices and getting outdoors, but honestly I don’t see how folks are doing it. Props to you newcomers figuring it out, but again I feel for those not well off enough to join in on being a camper van owner. It really is the best way we’ve found to get out more easily and often.

In 2020 we got 65 nights in the van. Almost exclusively just weekend trips and not more than 3 hours from home base. If it wasn’t for the van, there’s no way we would have tent camped that much.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:07 AM   #55

Quote:

Agree. It’s frustrating. Life throws the curveballs and sometimes you’re catching them upside the head. I’m super glad we have our van but I also ponder selling it cause as it sits #vanlife has priced me out of being able to continue with the build we started. Luckily, the basic build we did way back is bare bones but we have sleeping quarters and in all reality, that’s all we really need to get out. I am very thankful for that. Especially for the sanity of my better half........
In 2020 we got 65 nights in the van. Almost exclusively just weekend trips and not more than 3 hours from home base. If it wasn’t for the van, there’s no way we would have tent camped that much.
My friend, sometimes life forces you to do things you don't want to but with that particular van, how much you love it and how much ya'll use it? Don't sell unless you absolutely have to!!!! If food is on the table the thought of selling will pass. Your van is a great example of something truly irreplaceable. The money you could get for it, whether hard one or easy, is replaceable.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #56

Garage
This Stuff vs That Stuff

How?

Something that always strikes me in these discussions is the idea of priorities. We all have them and we make our choices based on them. How do so many people make ten times more or ten times less than I do? They had different priorities. Those might have been influenced by privilege - or lack thereof - or just different ideas about what’s important. And sometimes it’s just about random luck.

Some people wonder how I have the things I have even though I never made a ton of money. It’s pretty simple. I have THIS stuff because I did without THAT stuff. Life is always a trade-off about something. I’m fine with my choices and I’m always happy to hear that someone is fine with theirs. I don’t waste any time criticizing the choices and priorities of others and I don’t brook any critique of mine. What’s important to me is enjoying my life and that has driven just about every decision I’ve ever made. I’m happy to say it’s worked out pretty good so far and, by the looks of it, it’s worked out pretty well for a lot of folks here. Lucky us, however we got there, and whether we have a $10K van or a $200K van or anything in between.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:18 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Something that always strikes me in these discussions is the idea of priorities. We all have them and we make our choices based on them.
Pretty much sums it up in 2 short sentences, and applies to every aspect of our lives. I only wish we did a better job of ensuring that our children understood this as early as possible.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote