Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #11

Post up some pics of your van with the Cruiser top. Interior pics too. When you have time. Thanks. Congratulations on the new van.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #12

I will be curious what you hear. I have a 2003 EB with the same top and it leaks pretty bad on the same spot. Nothing a clean gym towel at the ready cannot handle. The previous owner had sealed the whole top up pretty well but clearly the water has found a way in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Daves View Post
I was lucky to buy a sportsmobile locally! Picked up a 2003 Eb27 with a cruiser top. I would have perferred a layout with less seating but the hard top creates a lot of storage.

The seller disclosed that a leak was present. Water will dribble on the drivers knee when turning right after a heavy rain. So I get to recaulk the top.

I have a question about this black trim. Does sportsmobile caulk under the trim? I wasn’t sure if caulking around the top part of the black trim is a good idea.

Sorry for sideways pics.
plaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #13

I ordered a pack of dental syringes to apply the chalk. I still need to clean up the channel.

I took one of the captains chairs out to open it up alittle
Attached Thumbnails
8EE5EA3D-FF68-4CF0-A830-7E949DE112CF.jpg   121A0173-C29F-48CF-8398-607A525672AD.jpg   40603F81-D65F-46E8-AD3F-767AC177BB24.jpg   FB51C979-AF1C-4F0C-AAEF-60C246346ACF.jpg  
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #14

Garage
So I have this same top as well and I don't think the method you are thinking about will work the greatest. If you go to the back doors that trim piece goes all the way around the van and seams in the back. you can pull off the entire black trim, it just pulls off a metal frame that is underneath. I took mine off when I put bed liner on my top. I then unscrewed all the screws from the metal flange and then you can get access to the roof/top junction. I would trim all the gunk off since it sometimes seeps out the crack and seal it all up since you have it apart around the whole perimeter. I got all new stainless screws to put mine back together, they are not that expensive and I had quite a bit of corrosion and some rusted through and broken. the black trim piece can be a bit of a pain to get back on but with some stretching and pushing till your thumbs are sore you will eventually get it back in place. Hopefully that's helpful and makes sense. I feel like if you just put a thin bead on the outside of that rubber trim piece water will find its way in and it will be gooped up all over the body vs behind the trim piece in the actual gap.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
So I have this same top as well and I don't think the method you are thinking about will work the greatest. If you go to the back doors that trim piece goes all the way around the van and seams in the back. you can pull off the entire black trim, it just pulls off a metal frame that is underneath. I took mine off when I put bed liner on my top. I then unscrewed all the screws from the metal flange and then you can get access to the roof/top junction. I would trim all the gunk off since it sometimes seeps out the crack and seal it all up since you have it apart around the whole perimeter. I got all new stainless screws to put mine back together, they are not that expensive and I had quite a bit of corrosion and some rusted through and broken. the black trim piece can be a bit of a pain to get back on but with some stretching and pushing till your thumbs are sore you will eventually get it back in place. Hopefully that's helpful and makes sense. I feel like if you just put a thin bead on the outside of that rubber trim piece water will find its way in and it will be gooped up all over the body vs behind the trim piece in the actual gap.

I ended up removing the black trim and removing the metal trim. 4 of my screws were also broken off at the heads. How did you address the broken screws?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
I ended up removing the black trim and removing the metal trim. 4 of my screws were also broken off at the heads. How did you address the broken screws?
Good, you will be much happier in the long run. I just screwed a new screw in its place, I went to a nut and bolt store and got all new stainless screws that were similar size and length and replaced them all. If you cant get a new screw in you could drill the broken screw out some but might have to use a thicker diameter new screw if you did that, I was able to just screw a new one in the same hole and it worked its way in nice and tight.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #17

I ordered new trim for the top.

https://www.all-rite.com/catalog/pro...200-vinyl-cap/
Old 05-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry, a bit late, but hopefully may be helpful to others...
Much thanks to shadetreevanman just delt with this and found this trim on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Wide-BLAC...oAAOSw0xRZl4d1

Seller has the metal trim, rubber cap cut to length, black and white...

shadetreevanman has a good thread going on his build and starting post #115 discusses the install/waterproofing.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-21680-12.html
Old 05-13-2019, 11:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar308 View Post
Sorry, a bit late, but hopefully may be helpful to others...
Much thanks to shadetreevanman just delt with this and found this trim on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Wide-BLAC...oAAOSw0xRZl4d1

Seller has the metal trim, rubber cap cut to length, black and white...

shadetreevanman has a good thread going on his build and starting post #115 discusses the install/waterproofing.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-21680-12.html
I also just ordered the RV Trim and installed it last weekend. shadetreevanman was great in letting me know which one to get as I wasn't able to salvage the old one. Just an FYI but 24ft is not enough to do a RB if you replacing all of it. I was short probably 6ft so I will need to order another 24ft since it the minimum order from that seller.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #20

I’m going to unscrew the trim and add butyl. Thanks for linking shadetreevanman’s thread ����