Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Interior light upgrades

New to sight and to a recently purchased 2008 E350 Sportsmobile. Super excited about the purchase and looking to make some minor changes and upgrades. Curious to see what others have done to there vans as far as interior conversions.

Thanks!

Billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Garage
Wow! First congratulations on the new addition. Your question about interior upgrades is a little vague...this group has shared a crap load of revisions and upgrades - how much do want to spend? Came to the right place if you need help with that!
If it’s just lighting, what are you trying to accomplish ?
Old 02-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #3

Garage
TecNiq | E32
These are what we will be installing when the time comes.
May need to install a dimmer
We have the stock headliner light between the front seats with LED bulb and the rear cargo light with LED bulb.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #4

We just changed some of our interior lights.

We already had the main lights on the ceiling on white LEDs... they are great.

But there were also the smaller "reading" lights on the side and between the 2 seats in the front. These lights had old style bulbs and barely generated any useful light.

So, I switched the bulbs between the 2 seats to white LED (650 lumens I believe), and covered one of them with a red filter. This gives us the option to have white light and see maps and other things in the dark. But, when driving, this is way to bright and it would ruin night vision. That is why we also have the red light option with the filter. This is still bright enough to read things, but you keep your night vision while driving.

In the rear, I replaced the small standard bulbs with dedicated red lights (I think 150 lumens each). This is for when you want to keep your night vision and walk out and look at the stars, for example. Also for when you get up in the middle of the night for a bathroom visit.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail 5.jpg   thumbnail 6.jpg  
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #5

I'm curious where you sourced the lights (top photo)……..Thx!
bonedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #6

The fixture came with the van. I just replaced the standard bulbs with LED's and put a red filter from a scope/flashlight over the LED on the left. If you want I can look up the details on the LEDs and filter and where to order them. Just let me know.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #7

OK.....its the fixture that I was interested in...….but thanks!
bonedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyk View Post
New to sight and to a recently purchased .... Curious to see what others have done to there vans as far as interior conversions. All sportsmobiles have custom option interiors with some basic standards, so your application will be best found by a bit of poking around...

Thanks!

Do a little searching and you will find great ideas and sources...LOTS of threads on this! Most sportsmobiles have a bit of customization re interiors so poking around will be very productive...
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #9

We just acquired a 2001 E350 and are updating as well. I upgraded all bulbs, except florescents, with LED first thing. Since one of our original sconces was broken, we hard wired a set of 12V strip lights. They are dimmable, change colors and alot of fun in addition to being efficient and utilitarian.
ChrisandHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisandHeather View Post
We just acquired a 2001 E350 and are updating as well. I upgraded all bulbs, except florescents, with LED first thing. Since one of our original sconces was broken, we hard wired a set of 12V strip lights. They are dimmable, change colors and alot of fun in addition to being efficient and utilitarian.

I have a build of split led to replace the tube lights and can use one or both .

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote