Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #1

Introduction ~ Jumping In !

I’ve always appreciated benefitting & contributing to countless forum communities over the years. The Communal Resource is invaluable.

I’m hoping to pick up an ‘01 E150 5.4 192k high roof former disabled lifted van from out of state very soon. In searching the forums for the better part of the day (rather than watching football), I haven’t found a “Sticky” that I typically find on similar forums ( e.g. Jeeps). I might be using incorrect search words... :-(

Is there a ‘Sticky’ (permanent Thread) that lists interchangeable parts or perhaps ‘upgrade’ parts (even via junkyard) for Econolines platform from another ?

Like using F350 something something on my E150 as an ‘upgrade’ / swap. Or Navigator something on my E150 .... I saw a YouTube vid about E350 rear disc brakes for E150. Is there a general ‘Resource’ ?

Am I making my question clear, or have I eaten too much today ?

Thank you,
Stan

1DogRescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #2

Garage
Our sticky is carringb, lol.

Seriously though, he is one of many valuable resources here on the forum, but there is no official sticky listing out all the crossover parts that I’m aware of. Your best bet is to search first and if you don’t get your answer that way then ask about specific parts that your interested in upgrading.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:55 AM   #3

Garage
Welcome. Agree with shenrie. Plus, most vans on this site are not 150s/1500s, but 250/350s and 2500/3500s.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #4

F series axles are frequently used when doing a 4WD conversion...and modern F series trucks have a different lug pattern than the vans, which requires new wheels or wheel spacers that convert back to van spacing if doing just the rear axle. Older F series truck axles have the same lug pattern as vans, but we need CarringB to provide details on what year that changed.

I'm pretty sure bumpers and tow mirrors don't fit...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #5

1999 was the first year Ford went to the new bolt pattern. For the most part, none of the chassis parts from the E or F 250 & 350 will fit your 150 without serious mods. You can use F250 & F350 axles to convert to a 4x4

If your going to build a camper van I would urge you to look for a E250 or E350 van. The bigger brakes and beefier axles will handle much better when fully loaded.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
If your going to build a camper van I would urge you to look for a E250 or E350 van. The bigger brakes and beefier axles will handle much better when fully loaded.
Not to mention a much lower chance of exceeding the GVW once built out.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #7

APPRECIATE the consideration. I was actually in error, the van that I had targeted is an E250. But the seller is Very Flaky, and getting him to answer messages is ... Tedious. The reference to E & F Cross-utilization was just part.

The yardstick that I’m comparing the notion of a Sticky comes from the JEEP world, where pages exist with Junkyard Swap Parts for example. On pages such as those, it may have: Dodge Durango alternators, Chevy S10 Leafs, Ford Explorer Sway Bars as being bolt-in, or MINIMAL modification required to fit an XJ.

It was in that sense, that I was curious if such a Thing existed here. Regardless, the responses thus far have been Helpful.
1DogRescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #8

2003 E350 4X4 SMB 7.3 270,000 miles
I have been freshening up my SMB after 16 years of wonderful experiences.
Cleaning, refinishing a couple of cabinet doors, hanging fly rods for out of the way and easy access.
Switching to LED lights...it's bright in there now.
Installed RAVELCO anti theft device.....I figured that's cheaper than trying to replace a 03.
Here's my next chore......Replacing the Sportsmobile decals. I bought a set of decals not thinking I have no idea how to remove the old decals and attach the new one's.
HELP.........I need directions for this current DIY project.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
Here's my next chore......Replacing the Sportsmobile decals. I bought a set of decals not thinking I have no idea how to remove the old decals and attach the new one's.
HELP.........I need directions for this current DIY project.
Highcountry, I used to stripe fire rigs and used eraser wheels to remove the old decals. Just google "striping removal eraser wheels", these will just chuck into a handheld power drill. Apply a decent amount of pressure and they should remove the old decals quickly. You might feel like you're burning through the paint, but I never had any issues like that occur. A little rubbing alcohol to wipe down the vehicle followed with some soap and water (allow to dry) and you're ready to install the new ones. Tip - apply when the temperature is in the 60's or higher to give the decal a bit more "plyability".

You'll want to use some painter's tape to mark the location of where the new stickers will go. Use this tape to mark either the top of the decal or bottom of it. It will give you a straight line to position your decal (either above or below). I believe you'll want to put the tape below the Sportsmobile sticker since the "S" is higher than the rest of the letters. To make placement easier, you want to assure a straight/square decal edge (top or bottom) exists, so you can align the decal to your painter's tape. Place a small mark on the tape where you want to start the decal and pull off some of the back-backing of the decal (LEAVE THE FRONT COVERING ON THE DECAL UNTIL AFTER YOU STICK THE DECAL ON THE VEHICLE THEN REMOVE IT). Slowly apply the decal to the vehicle from one side to the other carefully using a small soft plastic "squeegee" to push the sticker to the vehicle and remove any air bubbles. As you progress, just keep peeling more and more of the backing away. Once the decal is on, pull off the top covering and you're done

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #10

Garage
^^^ all good advice. just be careful cause an eraser wheel can burn through paint. ive done it, lol. just don’t stay in one place too long and you’ll be fine. I also use soapy water in a spray bottle for install of decals that need perfect placement. that way you get more than one try to get it placed properly.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote