Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

long time nomad, finally looking at vans...

Hey guys,

been wanting one of these for a while, as I've been a full time nomad for a few years now. Finally dawned on me that I could have one and stop wishing. Prob build my own, is there an FAQ on what vans to start with? I'll try and read through the mountains of info here before bothering folks. I'm a mid 30s project manager/designer, been to all 48 contiguous states in my truck or on a motorcycle. Iceland, Colombia so far this year, Norway next month, and Berlin before the year is out. Looking to switch to telecommuting and wandering the mountain west in an SMB.

Anyway, nice to "meet" you.

Cheers

nomad_games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

Welcome! Sounds like a good plan. With your travel experience I'm sure lifestyle will fit you well...
2xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #3

Welcome! A Ford E-series will give you the best aftermarket support by far, but it's really all about your preference. I've had several Fords, one which was a bonafide SMB and my next will probably be a Chevy AWD. I think it would be plenty for my needs. The used market is best on Fords, mainly because so many were made. If your budget permits you might be after a Transit, Promaster or Sprinter, but they are still pretty 'new' as far as us SMB guys are concerned, for the most part.

Let us know what your goals are. MPG's? Budget? etc........

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

Hey thanks! I'm looking for reliability, 4x4 (eventually?) and not spending a ton of dough. I'm handy with mechanical and fabrication, have been a pro fabricator for many years and spent some time as a moto mechanic. however, I dont want to have to be doing work on it all the time to keep it running. My last truck was a 1990 c1500 5.7 350, I drove it 35k miles in a year with only replacing battery, brake pads, and fluids, and was pretty happy with that. I've never been a Ford guy, but there do seem to be the most options going with the E350.

I'd definitely pick function over MPG.

I'd like it to be big enough for me to actually live in, as I have a serious travel bug and rarely stay in one city longer than 6 months in a row.

Thanks!
nomad_games is offline   Reply With Quote