Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Gone Traveling

Months Of Searching, Finally Paid Off

If the title doesn't grab you, here's our story.. I've been searching for a forum/discussion group with an adventurous side.. Granted I'm a member of nearly every other forum related to our vehicle, but something just wasn't right. I didn't feel a connection with many of the members. This was probably because each one was heading in a different direction. I've even attempted to create my own forums, but this proved to be too time consuming and it was just me attempting to run the whole show.

So I'm here today as a small van owner with big ideas. Once I relieve what our project is.. it may not stack up to what many of you have.. But ever since we purchased the van, I've had this idea about some sort of new storage system located in the cargo area.

Although this idea is still in the planing stages and weather permitting, I should be able to start constructing a template (out of card board) to send to a company we located south of our current location. This company has made these type of products for other vehicles but not our van.

The owner of this company which will remain anonymous until we've actually have something physical in our hands to show for it, has more then welcomed this challenge but this will mean several trips over the next few months in order for him/them to take measurements.

Now that you know that we have a project.. I guess I should tell what it is we're working on.. I've had this dream of creating an overlander out of something most would not view as a typically overlander type vehicle. The vehicle we've selected?..

2015 Ford Transit Connect XL SWB 2.5L I4 the smallest one on the lot. Again this so called build may not rank with many of the projects you've done and shown here.. but until now.. the van has been viewed as a sports car with room in the back to haul stuff and we love it.. But that stuff has to go somewhere.. I mean it has to be stored somewhere within the confines of the cargo area. This is where my new storage idea will come to play.

Even though I say "new" storage idea.. the company we've contacted to build this idea, has been doing this for other vehicles for over 10 years. So it's not that new.. but placing it in our van.. will defiantly be a challenge and worth while.

The concept consists of 5 stages or phases.. stage/phase 1 is the cheapest and the one we'll work on first. If proven successful.. I submit other stages/phases to the shop and have them crafted thereafter.

Now I've attempted to post this same comment at other sites, but was shot down and the post removed. Those sites claimed I was a vendor attempting to sell a product which we've not even created yet. Not the case.. I'm here just to show you what I wanted in our van since day one. Afterward, it's up to the company who's creating this product for us to decide if they want to play with everyone here.

Until then.. I'm excited about this as you are.. assuming. and great to have found a forum with like minds and who loves to tinker.

LostInTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #2

Best of luck to you! Hope it turns out like you want it to!
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Thanks, but a question needs to be asked here.. does a 2015 Ford Transit Connect qualify as a sportmobile vehicle?. I mean after all this small van is our Sport "Utility" vehicle.. or microCargo Expedition Vehicle..
Old 02-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
OK I just responded to your PM.

I think you'll get feedback on your build provided you don't skew too far off the standard SMB build. Not saying you can't get interest in something unique. Your posting sport-mobile where Sportsmobile is a company name. I'd think you can call a Jeep a sport-mobile in a wide sense of the matter. Don't quote me but I thought SMB was looking into doing a conversion on the larger Transit. I'd actually have to look on their website.

The deal is this site supports most anything SMB builds at their 3 locations but also supports RV's in general and especially home builds on frames similar to what's coming off the line at SMB. On the other hand I doubt you'll see much activity on other types of RV builds that veer away from the "van type" vehicles SMB is producing. Not to say somebody with for example a Roadtrek can't find this site useful though.

As far a posting copies of equipment built by any manufacture, there is a fine line between posting about reproducing or replicating an industry part as compared to re-engineering something. I'd suggest that you contact the owner or Janet if you feel the post is going to be moderated.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Let's see if I can explain this without giving too much away. The idea for installing this companies product in our van was mine.. but the product it's self was designed to be used with other vehicles.. All I'm done is approach this company say that I need them to create this product for our van and have a place to actually install it within a forum etc. I guess a build tread?.. and maybe I would need to submit a pre-post to whom ever and have them check through it first.. but this still at least several months away.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Hum, I still don't see an issue. In the future the sites owner may have guidelines for vendors selling or promoting products. There are a few manufactures on the site and you can use any of their products that are applicable to your build. Same with something like a refrigerator. Aluminess is a company that comes to mind who sells Sportsmobile related equipment however to copy their products and post how to do it might raise an eyebrow.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

Agreed and this is nothing more than to show off a product which could have been incorporated into or on to one of you vehicles, then has been modified to fit into onto our little van.. I'll dive more into this when everything has been lined up and of course I will notify the company of this site if their chose to join the conversation.