Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #1

NEED HELP, 2013 Ford E350 Front End

Hello, I'm new. And I need help!
2013 Ford QUIGLEY E350, 4X4, 115k miles. I think the Front U-Joints are causing my issue.
When driving under 25-30 mph all is OK. Above 40 and it does not want to stay straight, above 50 and I can not keep it on the road. Feels like there is a dead spot at straight ahead and it falls off a knife edge to left or right. So if I'm going 40 and correct to the right, I start to go right, now correct to the left,and try to hold at straight, she drives left, wont stay straight. She continues demanding steering input left then right, wont stay straight.

Jacked up front axle, did the "grab the tire" thing for ball joint play- left/right-up/down = solid as a rock-absolutely no ball joint play. Then lowered Van and had son do the "10:00 to 2:00" thing with steering wheel while I looked at all joints, very slight hesitancy at Pitman Arm to Draglink.
OK - so I replaced the $300.00 draglink parts from Quigley. NO CHANGE.
I think "It's gotta be steering gear box, what else is left"-- --
So $600.00 from Ford - new steering gear ---- NO CHANGE #@^#$#@^%

With key in, steering wheel unlocked, motor off, wheels on ground, son did 10:00 to 2:00 again, hubs set to "FREE", watched as U-JOINTS acted like they were spring loaded, first not moving then move all at once, like pressure was built up on them.( non limited slip axle). He also noticed a hard spot at 12:00 or center, that was harder to overcome than at further left or right. I confirmed the hard spot. then I locked the hubs and hard spot went away.
So now I have it on four jack stands, so I can put it in gear. Rear tires on van - but off ground. Front tires off van.
Put it in 4X4 and watch as the front hubs go back and forth as the axle rotates. I HAVE VIDEO IF YOU THINK I"M NUTS. It looks like someone is turning the steering wheel from 11:00 to 1:00. The Right side (passenger) axle is wobbling inside the seal a bit more than the left side, but I think it's the dried out U-JOINTS causing my AGONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The tag on the axle shows 2015892 1 , DANA XX201589201 , S/N 169WXX1317650046 , DATE 25-JUNE-2013. I find nothing at DANA web site.
If you can PLEASE offer any suggestions, I'm out of MONEY and Patience.

Thank you, Jeff

TROGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Hey Jeff, Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about our troubles. Not fun. Many here are better at suspension/drive stuff than I am but a few things:
1. Where are you located? - if you can add location to your profile it really helps to know how close you might be to one of our members.
2. When I first read your post it read as if you were experiencing this in 2WD to start with? Is that the case? Front U Joints should be free and not spinning at all with the Transfer Case in 2WD. so if they are sinning and binding, yep that does not sound good.
3. No locker up front?

Lets see what pops up from some of the members here. See if you can post the video. You might need a few more posts before you are cleared to do that. Maybe an admin can help.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

Welcome Trogr. I JUST replaced my axle seals, ball joints, u joints this past week. Nearly same driving experience but less severe. Mine is 2006 quigley 120k miles. I replace the drag link and tie rods last year.

Also same experience as you, no movement when jacked up, BUT when I got it apart, the ball joints were toast. One of my u joints had split a couple needles, and the other one was fine.

I have a 5k trip next week and had to get it done. Other than ordering the wrong axle seal install tool and having to wait on the correct one, it was quite easy to do and only cost me 600$ or so, saving 8-1200 in labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Hey Jeff, Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about our troubles. Not fun. Many here are better at suspension/drive stuff than I am but a few things:
1. Where are you located? - if you can add location to your profile it really helps to know how close you might be to one of our members.
2. When I first read your post it read as if you were experiencing this in 2WD to start with? Is that the case? Front U Joints should be free and not spinning at all with the Transfer Case in 2WD. so if they are sinning and binding, yep that does not sound good.
3. No locker up front?

Lets see what pops up from some of the members here. See if you can post the video. You might need a few more posts before you are cleared to do that. Maybe an admin can help.
1. -- I'm located in Milwaukee, Wi.
2. -- Yes it was in two wheel drive when I started.
3. -- No locker front or back. What are options for lockers?

I will try to send Video to member who PM'ed me to help post it.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff
Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #5

Here are a couple of Jeff's videos:

Steering wheel action:
https://vimeo.com/221174076/028d739ad4

Note this first one - Passenger side ujoint rotating:

https://vimeo.com/221173394/bc919bf7f4

Second one - Driver Side
https://vimeo.com/221173356/b6fa47df96
Old 06-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Wow, that passenger Ujoint looks way out of centered. Could the axel be bent and applying unequal pressure to the wheel causing the steering issue? I am just guessing but I have never seen a Ujoint/axel rotate like that before.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #7

Man thats some moving and shaking.

(not a real mechanic) but I can only imagine that it could be a short list of things. bent axle, misaligned/bent u-join, or maybe just possibly a blown out axle seal (which seems to really help keep things in line.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Sure looks like a bent axle to me, but I'm no expert.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #9

Well I finally got the passenger side axle out. The UJOINT in one axis is stiff but movable, in the other axis --- I CAN"T MOVE AT ALL.
So I'm hoping it's just the Ujoint. I suppose if I roll the AXLE on a flat surface it will show up as bent - any thoughts?
Has anyone had to replace the HUB SEAL without the special tool? Were you successful?
Thank you, Jeff
Old 06-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #10

I just waited on the tool and very happy that I did. worth it for me, BUT check out https://www.venturestruckparts.com/ and their you tube videos. They show two homemade tools(one made from black iron, and teh other from PVC) they can def work, but I felt better buying the tool and glad I did. I had to smash it pretty hard to seat the seal as well as the axle and I think the PVC would break for sure and maybe the black iron wouldnt have enough mass to really be good on the process.