Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
You beat me to it, couldn't agree more. Clearly there is some room in that budget and starting off with that E150 would not be a great route to go.
So the long term goal is different than the initial purchase if that makes sense. I don't plan on buying the Van and then immediately turning around and finishing it completely out. The goal is to start out with a good platform and then work our way up from there....but based on what I am hearing the E150 is not a good starting point?

CGgonzo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #12

Sorry but I wouldn't pay much more than $500 for that van. I do know things are desperate in California though.

It does have rear pop out windows so that is a plus!
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGgonzo12 View Post
So the long term goal is different than the initial purchase if that makes sense. I don't plan on buying the Van and then immediately turning around and finishing it completely out. The goal is to start out with a good platform and then work our way up from there....but based on what I am hearing the E150 is not a good starting point?
For your end goal of installing the UJOR conversion, an E150 is not a good starting point, unless its a 2008+. Not saying it cant be done, you just end up having to put more into it and you're still left with a half ton chassis that you might overload.

You would be better off upping your initial budget by even $1,000 to get a high top cargo or wheel chair van thats newer.

For me personally, I would want to start with the cleanest base possible. No leaks or issues, clean paint, power options, etc. That way when you build it out, you aren't just putting lipstick on a pig and hopefully the van wont nickle and dime you to death. If that means borrowing to buy a cleaner van, personally I would do it.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #14

Yeah that's what Im saying. I haven't been able to find much everything is really pricey
Old 12-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
For your end goal of installing the UJOR conversion, an E150 is not a good starting point, unless its a 2008+. Not saying it cant be done, you just end up having to put more into it and you're still left with a half ton chassis that you might overload.

You would be better off upping your initial budget by even $1,000 to get a high top cargo or wheel chair van thats newer.

For me personally, I would want to start with the cleanest base possible. No leaks or issues, clean paint, power options, etc. That way when you build it out, you aren't just putting lipstick on a pig and hopefully the van wont nickle and dime you to death. If that means borrowing to buy a cleaner van, personally I would do it.
I will take this into consideration. Thank you for your honest opinion, perhaps I need to widen my search, to out of state even. Thank you again!
Old 12-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
The E150 can be a great platform to start, but maybe not the right choice if you plan on adding a 6" UJOINT lift. Also sounds like you are planning on doing that addition yourself. If that is the case then I would assume you are pretty handy making the interior on that van pretty worthless. The only thing I see that might be pushing you to buy that van is the fact that it has a high top so you can stand inside.

Ultimately I would recommend being a little more patient and going for an E250 or E350 with the 5.4 v8. If you are willing to get a cargo van and do the whole interior yourself I bet you could pick one up in your price range right now which would be a far superior platform to start out. If you want a passenger van with a high top it might take a little while to find that, but they do pop up.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #17

Quote:
The E150 can be a great platform to start, but maybe not the right choice if you plan on adding a 6" UJOINT lift. Also sounds like you are planning on doing that addition yourself. If that is the case then I would assume you are pretty handy making the interior on that van pretty worthless. The only thing I see that might be pushing you to buy that van is the fact that it has a high top so you can stand inside.

Ultimately I would recommend being a little more patient and going for an E250 or E350 with the 5.4 v8. If you are willing to get a cargo van and do the whole interior yourself I bet you could pick one up in your price range right now which would be a far superior platform to start out. If you want a passenger van with a high top it might take a little while to find that, but they do pop up.
So here are my top reasons for liking the van (honestly).
1: Hightop (Yes being able to semi stand in there is nice, right off the get go). I am 6'1" so standing straight up isn't a thing but I am close.
2: Interior (Cargo Area) I think for the most part all I would need to do is rebuild the bedding platform, and add in a sink/stove area (cabinetry). It would be pretty use-able at this point.
3: Price. I think I can pick it up for 2000-2500

To answer your observation, yes I am fairly handy. Now I am in no means a master mechanic/carpenter but I am not afraid to build something with my two hands. Its therapeutic for me. I don't fancy the idea of starting from scratch scratch (cargo van) but I am also not scared to attempt a build from zero.

Guess I just need to be patient, I don't know exactly how much camping/off trail stuff I will be doing so having the smaller V8 may or may not affect me.

To be honest.... I am not sure what to do at this point
Old 12-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #18

Quote:
So here are my top reasons for liking the van (honestly).
1: Hightop (Yes being able to semi stand in there is nice, right off the get go). I am 6'1" so standing straight up isn't a thing but I am close.
2: Interior (Cargo Area) I think for the most part all I would need to do is rebuild the bedding platform, and add in a sink/stove area (cabinetry). It would be pretty use-able at this point.
3: Price. I think I can pick it up for 2000-2500

To answer your observation, yes I am fairly handy. Now I am in no means a master mechanic/carpenter but I am not afraid to build something with my two hands. Its therapeutic for me. I don't fancy the idea of starting from scratch scratch (cargo van) but I am also not scared to attempt a build from zero.

Guess I just need to be patient, I don't know exactly how much camping/off trail stuff I will be doing so having the smaller V8 may or may not affect me.

To be honest.... I am not sure what to do at this point
Don't worry, In my quest for a van I was confused constantly. At one point I wanted to buy a short school bus. Ended up with an E350 cargo van. It's a process, and the most important thing is figuring out how you want to use it. If you plan on off-roading I would highly recommend at least an E250. If not an E150 would be fine. If you plan on building your own interior try and find a van without one. People tend to over value their DIY interiors, and most likely their setup won't be what you want anyway. Just poked around on craiglist real quick. Here is a passenger van with more miles but much nicer and 11 years newer, same listed price:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...038384801.html

Not saying that is the right van for you but, but I would take that van over the other one 100 times out of 100.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Don't worry, In my quest for a van I was confused constantly. At one point I wanted to buy a short school bus. Ended up with an E350 cargo van. It's a process, and the most important thing is figuring out how you want to use it. If you plan on off-roading I would highly recommend at least an E250. If not an E150 would be fine. If you plan on building your own interior try and find a van without one. People tend to over value their DIY interiors, and most likely their setup won't be what you want anyway. Just poked around on craiglist real quick. Here is a passenger van with more miles but much nicer and 11 years newer, same listed price:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...038384801.html

Not saying that is the right van for you but, but I would take that van over the other one 100 times out of 100.
I honestly looked around on Craigslist for the last hour and never came across that van. That's frustrating. I am not sure how much offroading we would do to be honest but I do like the idea of being able to do it. So the van you just posted although and E150 would be the better V8? or am I misunderstanding?
Old 12-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #20

Heres a high top wheelchair van. Doesnt say mileage but I'm guessing it's high.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...031883491.html