Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #1

New from TX (what should I look out for)

Originally from florida, but stationed at fort hood, tx. Actually I am currently deployed in another country.

I had an order placed on a Ford transit with plans to build it out into a dirtbike/mtn bike/camper. Had my order in for a couple months and never got a vin or build date. Finally decided to just purchase an e250 or e350 used when I get back.

I’m thinking about the extended, then lifting it just a little (maybe 4”). Any recommendations as far as what to avoid when buying an econoline, or what lift to buy, or if any locals to Texas have recommendations on install shops?

Brawwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #2

Check the drip rails between the roof and the outer walls for rust. Check around the windshield for rust. Econolines are pretty robust, so as long as they aren't rusty, you should be good. Even here in CA, the drip rails can get rust if the van was parked since the water will pool in there.

Check out Weldtec Designs for lift kits. They make good stuff. Can't help with any texas recommendations, but any offroad shop should be able to do the lift for you.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #3

If you're using it for a moto van, I would consider looking for a van with a hightop installed with the extended height doors. A dirt bike fits with the standard height doors, but its kinda tight and you're crouching down to get it in. With the hightop and extended doors, you can walk it in without issues.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:45 PM   #4

Garage
Yeah, you'll have to watch dirt bike height to ensure it will fit in the back door of E-series or GMs. Check normal stuff like rust, maintenance, etc. Drip rails as mentioned.

Welcome and thanks for your service.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
If you're using it for a moto van, I would consider looking for a van with a hightop installed with the extended height doors. A dirt bike fits with the standard height doors, but its kinda tight and you're crouching down to get it in. With the hightop and extended doors, you can walk it in without issues.
Would you happen to know if a typical 450 will fit in a standard height? I have a husky fc450.
Brawwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:05 PM   #6

I think it will fit, but the handle bars will be near the top of the rear doors. So fitting yourself in while crouching and holding the bike upright is tricky. Getting a van with a high top like a church van would make it so you can just stand up and walk the bike in.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:26 PM   #7

I used to use an E250 regular length as a moto van. Dirt bike handlebars will be tight to the top of the rear doors, but do-able. Some people who use smaller vans (Chevy Astro, etc) cinch down their forks with a tie down before rolling in. Never tried that, but that was always my plan if somehow I had a particularly tall bike, like if I had risers + handguards, etc.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote