Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #11

Thank u so much for all this info. I wish I would have posted on here a long time ago. I won't make that mistake again

NCG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #12

Suggest putting future posts about interior build-out in the “home build” section for better results.

Have you checked out the Expedition Forum, too? Lots of good home build info over there as well.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #13

“I have read on many forums and websites that to secure kids car seats properly you can not or should not be secured to the side facing couch.”

It is illegal to have car seats on a side-facing couch. They are made only for front-facing seats. Having driven a 6 month old cross-country, If you are driving any long distances, I would suggest getting a bench seat instead of captain chairs. I have a 1987 camper van, which has two captain chairs up front and side-facing benches in back. Because there was only the one front-facing passenger seat, I was legally allowed to have him in front with me. I can say from the experience, I would not have survived if he was in back. Even though they’ll sleep a lot, small children and babies require a lot of attention while driving. With a bench seat, you or your wife can sit back there to attend to them while traveling. When they are older, you can trade out the bench for captain chairs.
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #14

Depending on how thick the flooring is, you might have to upsize the anchor bolts, so they can withstand the bending forces as well. Or, you can install a sleeve to take up the flooring thickness between the van's floor, and the bottom of the seat base.

FWIW - DOT doesn't "approve" anything. The FMVSS sets standards, and the OEMs and aftermarket converters establish compliance with those standards. For passenger seats, the requirement is 5,000 pounds per anchor for lap belts, or 3,000 pounds per shoulder belt anchor.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do.../tp-210-9a.pdf

Legally, you have no exposure unless you later tried to sell it having compliant seats, when you didn't test them. Of course, you want to do it right for you own family's safety....

Note that the RV industry is not required to meet any rear seating safety standard. So most aftermarket seating options are not any safer than a park bench.

I'd suggest some nice take out OEM seats, using the OEM base plates, and mount them with OEM or larger anchor bolts. You'll need to add a backer plates as well, if you aren't able to use the factory backer plate which will only exist where the OEM rear seats would have been.

Transit seats might be a good option, because they have integrated shoulder belts, and most positions have the LATCH system. Beware they come in varying widths, so you'll have to figure out which width will fit your layout and carseats the best.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #15

Funny u mentioned the transit seats. I started looking at those last night. Very easy to come by and like u said they already have seat belts. I'm pretty much set on getting those
Old 03-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #16

One downside of the Transit seats, is they may be too high if you mount the rails over top of your floor. Maybe you can router out some channels into the wood floor, to inlay the mounting rails? Plus, then you'll still have a flat floor if you need to remove the seats to haul anything.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #17

That's my plan, to make the mounts flush with the finished floor. I have found numerous examples of people installing them this way. Installation is pretty straightforward also. I still have to do some measuring so hopefully they will work.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
Orv

Garage
I don't think they made many E-250 passenger vans. The E-150 passenger van for that year was called the Club Wagon, and came with two removable bench seats. I suspect all the mounting hardware would bolt up if you wanted to go that route, but the subfloor would probably be an issue. It's been a long time and I can't remember exactly how they attached.

The sideways bench dilemma is exactly how I ended up with my SMB -- the previous owner had kids and needed something with a forward-facing bench, so they sold the SMB and bought a Vanagon Westfalia.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #19

Will the factory backer plate in a E-350 work with the Transit seat latch system(s), or will the Transit seat system need a custom backer plate in a E-350 in every case?

I may another seat behind the front passenger. I got some unexpected news the other night.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Will the factory backer plate in a E-350 work with the Transit seat latch system(s), or will the Transit seat system need a custom backer plate in a E-350 in every case?

I may another seat behind the front passenger. I got some unexpected news the other night.
Well, congrats on the forthcoming youngster, Youngster!

No, backer/mounting plate for E-series is completely different than Transit. In fact, there really isn't one single part or piece I can think of on those two vans that are interchangeable. Transit is a whole new vehicle.

Luckily, there are lots of Transit seat tracks and seats being taken out.

Keep in mind what CarringB said above. Transit seats are deceivingly taller than E-series seats. They go almost to the ceiling of a regular roof E-series.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote