Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #11

But, lights 12v stuff working. Ha. So confused

Bdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #12

Get the numbers for the SMB Build and contact them for any info that is still available; find out if there are historical records that indicate exactly what was done.

Make sure to check back with the former owner, she may eventually find any manuals; and, not just for those, but because it's a human thing to do, to let her know how excited you are and thankful that she has been the mechanism to send you off into this new world...

Have fun, pay attention on here there is a super computers worth of knowledge and experience on board.

EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #13

will plugging into shore power charge all batteries?
Old 11-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Green light on mine illuminates when the transfer case is engaged.
Correct about the green light.

As for the switches, we all assume you've flipped them and listened and looked for what changed?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:00 PM   #15

The toggle switch could be, considering that this is a early 2000's vehicle, a solenoid running power to the winch connections. I wired my pickup truck through a solenoid back in ~2008 because it supplies the necessary power for winching through long cable runs and it enables me to cut off power to the plugs (front and rear, with a winch in a receiver mounted tray) if I'm going to go into deep water.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:07 PM   #16

Not sure why it won't start off of the main batteries now.
But a good rule of thumb with a 6.0L is don't idle it. Especially with the stock EGR setup. I could go into the reasons why you shouldn't idle a 6.0L but trust me, just don't.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
It could be a number of things causing the starting issue. I doubt your alternator is bad. I'd check the batteries and the separator. There are a few ways to test the battery systems. You can search or I can send you some links.

Do you know what kind of build it was... standard? For instance mine is a 50 model.

The A/C not working... do you have a Starcool aftermarket system on your van? Sorry you're having problems. A little more info will help.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:54 PM   #18

Let it cool off and sit overnight. If it starts then the next day I’d guess you’ve got a problem with your high pressure oil system. Could be a stand pipe or dummy plug given that you’ve got an ‘05. That’s assuming you’ve confirmed your starter battery voltage is ok.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #19

So after I charged the battery overnight it started fine. It had showed a code related to the alternator and batter light was on, however when driving around a little battery gauge stayed in the middle.

I forgot to mention my battery light had been coming on and off at random times. I picked the van up in California last Saturday night and drove almost straight through to Colorado with no real issues. We did get an "under boost" coming through our fist mountains.

But, if my alternator is going could that be part of my AC problem?

Regardless... I'm having trouble understanding / locating the separator for the batteries. I'm thinking it's this switch under passenger bench? Best way to test? If I hook a meter to the big marine battery and run van and flip switch?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #20

The separator should be located on the passenger side under the bench seat.

It's not likely that the A/C is not working due to the alternator. It most likely needs to be checked for leaks and recharged.

Check all the battery connections, a loose connection can result in the symptoms you describe. Especially with it being intermittent. This actually happened to me yesterday. My frame mounted battery positive connection was loose causing intermittent no start.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote