Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #21

What are the CEL codes?

And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #22
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavis View Post
So after I charged the battery overnight it started fine. It had showed a code related to the alternator and batter light was on, however when driving around a little battery gauge stayed in the middle.

I forgot to mention my battery light had been coming on and off at random times. I picked the van up in California last Saturday night and drove almost straight through to Colorado with no real issues. We did get an "under boost" coming through our fist mountains.

But, if my alternator is going could that be part of my AC problem?

Regardless... I'm having trouble understanding / locating the separator for the batteries. I'm thinking it's this switch under passenger bench? Best way to test? If I hook a meter to the big marine battery and run van and flip switch?
One thing to keep an eye on is your alternator, if your getting a battery light and can trouble shoot to make sure that all the connections are OK. It may be the alternator, not a big deal really... If it needs to be replace, replace it with a bigger one. I did this and have not had any problems since, the stock motorcraft is to small and heat helps them wear out fast.

Heat in the 6.uh oh seem to be more than the 7.3, at least this has been my experience. My 6.0 seem to run hotter than both my 7.3's and heat will kill lots of stuff like your de-gasser bottle cap seal, Alternator, and FICM to name a few.

To help with the heat side vents and Hood vents will help the heat escape when you are in 4x4 at slow speed and when you come to a stop and turn off the engine. It doesn't help at speed but air flow does just fine.

Like Saline said don't idle a 6.0 unless you have a EGR delete, which I have and have zero issues with idling. But since you're in Colorado, and you van came from Cali it still has the EGR. You won't pass emissions with a delete in Colorado but I don't think this has anything to do with you EGR or HPOP. I chased this similar problem for about 6-8month about 8 to 9 months after I bought my van, random no starts, battery light, and died at idle so it maybe the alternator.

Time to start a trouble shooting list so you can keep track and figure out what's what...

Since my van isn't a SMB and a home build, what about the Battery Isolator and it's connections. Check the house battery and check the two batteries under the barn doors with a volt meter to see what you are getting...
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #23

I had another thought about that toggle switch, but would need more info: is it a three position, two, or one position switch? (one position being it's "at rest" with spring-resistance in the opposite direction... if that makes sense) My thought is that it could be a battery by-pass (to use house batteries for starting if engine batteries are drained).