Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #1

New owner of a 96' SMB

Hi all,
I'm a new owner (9 days) of a 96 E-350 SMB EB Quigley 4x4. Bought locally (CO) from another forum member. Learning lots and this forum has already been super helpful. Thanks
Been fortunate to have the passion/knowledge of the previous owner to ask Qs of. I never knew of SMBs or Quigley when I was little but I had a Hot Wheels 4x4 full sized van that I loved and from that point (7-10yo) I have dreamed of having a 4x4 Van. When I started looking these SMBs were top of list but didn't think I'd end up with one. Now 40y after that Hot Wheels revelation I have one. Pretty stoked!

Within 6 days of ownership, took the fam 5h across the state in a snowstorm to the desert for some off-grid sun and joy. Learned a lot about the van. Love it!!
Gen pics of the van here. https://ibb.co/album/3470gc Nothing special but its solid and has most everything I need. Now the obsessive tinkering starts.

I'm sure i will be posting Qs to glean info from all the experts here. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Clarkboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:17 PM   #2

Garage
Congrats and welcome. Sounds like a great first trip, just the sort these vans are perfect for.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #3

Is that a Yakima Skybox 21 by chance? Deciding between that and a Thule.
owlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:58 PM   #4

It's the Skybox 18. Same size just slightly less tall. Still huge. I like the Yakima locking mechanism better than Thule.

Glad to have you here Clarkboulder. No better resource for these vans. I will stick around even with the new Transit.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:27 PM   #5

Good week for 96's. I just got a 96 Dodge SMB w/ Quigley 4 x 4 . Mine is in nice shape and was able to talk to the original owner prior to purchase.

I now have a 96 Ford F350 4x4 longbed to sell. I purchased it new. It had a bigfoot on it for several years. I think I will enjoy the compactness of the Dodge van. Hope to see you somewhere somehow. (96's regardless of make are family)
jimmygouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
It's the Skybox 18. Same size just slightly less tall. Still huge. I like the Yakima locking mechanism better than Thule.

Glad to have you here Clarkboulder. No better resource for these vans. I will stick around even with the new Transit.
Yes what Simplesez said. It's the same L and W as the 21 but not as tall as the 21. It's huge! I have the 16 and the 18 feels significantly larger even though its only 2CF.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:05 AM   #7

Does your top sag with the weight of the roof rack and box? I've been struggling with extra weight on the top causing the roof to droop.
THaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #8

Welcome Clarkboulder! Great looking rig! I am in Boulder fairly often (Mostly Buff's games) and will kep an eye out for you! I have a 2003 EB with the fixed Voyager roof. If you see us stop in for an adult beverage.
plaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by THaley View Post
Does your top sag with the weight of the roof rack and box? I've been struggling with extra weight on the top causing the roof to droop.
THaley,
Yes the roof tends to sag some as its a manual lift and that roofbox is heavy. Former owner used four 2x4s to help support once up. It worked but I recently customized four Ratchet Cargo Bars (shortened them) to replace the wood which allowed me to place (rather than slide & wedge) the bars and then incrementally ratchet them up to desired height. These bar have nice grippy rubber feet that stay put and less likely to be bumped off by kids. Bottoms are placed on the support L rail and tops is placed into the corners. Sort of an expensive fix (~$100) but I didn't like slide wedging the 2x4s and it took two people to avoid scraping ceiling. I store them under the gaucho bench.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkboulder View Post
THaley,
Yes the roof tends to sag some as its a manual lift and that roofbox is heavy. Former owner used four 2x4s to help support once up. It worked but I recently customized four Ratchet Cargo Bars (shortened them) to replace the wood which allowed me to place (rather than slide & wedge) the bars and then incrementally ratchet them up to desired height. These bar have nice grippy rubber feet that stay put and less likely to be bumped off by kids. Bottoms are placed on the support L rail and tops is placed into the corners. Sort of an expensive fix (~$100) but I didn't like slide wedging the 2x4s and it took two people to avoid scraping ceiling. I store them under the gaucho bench.

Pics and link of the solution. $100 seems reasonable enough.
THaley is offline   Reply With Quote