Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #1

New to forum

Hello all, I am new to the forum and need some advice/help. My boyfriend MountainBikeRoamer was an active member on this forum. He passed away in December and I am trying to learn about the camper van that I have inherited. He had two vans, one was a 1995 Ford listed on his profile, which has gone to his brother in Utah, the other one is a 2002 Ford (extended length) which I will be keeping. I know the basics of the van and its systems, but I find that there are quite a few things that he did that I was never introduced to. (Apologize in advance for not having a clue about things)

My current problem to solve is how to get the van insured. I am changing insurance companies and need to give them the value of the vehicle. It is a 2002 Ford Econoline 350 Sportsmobile with 289,000 miles. It recently had a lift kit added in 2020 and new larger tires with a rear spare tire mounted on a swing arm. The van has a pop top, Norcold electric refrigerator, propane stove, heater, and air conditioner in the rear, generator underneath, microwave, one house battery. Not sure what other features might need to be specified. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

K8erMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #2

Garage
He is missed, was a Joy to have on the Forum! Good to see you've decided to join. lot of capable individuals here that will gladly offer assistance & advise you seek.

Lets first see if you have the RVIA decal - this decal classifies it as an RV opposed to a modified Van...it should make the process less complicated for you.
Usually located on the back of the Van, just below the drivers rear taillight...
Old 03-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #3

Yes it has the RVIA decal
K8erMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #4

Garage
The first to take into consideration is you'll probably have to shop around...read through the links below to get some context - some insightful responses. Each state seem to be slightly different, as do the Companies offering Insurance.
Would start with these:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...n-27648-2.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nce-23552.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nce-25046.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nce-23666.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...cle-20230.html
Old 03-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #5

Garage
Welcome to the forum, sorry for the circumstances. I echo Twoxentrix’s comments.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8erMobile View Post
Hello all, I am new to the forum and need some advice/help. My boyfriend MountainBikeRoamer was an active member on this forum. He passed away in December and I am trying to learn about the camper van that I have inherited. He had two vans, one was a 1995 Ford listed on his profile, which has gone to his brother in Utah, the other one is a 2002 Ford (extended length) which I will be keeping. I know the basics of the van and its systems, but I find that there are quite a few things that he did that I was never introduced to. (Apologize in advance for not having a clue about things)

My current problem to solve is how to get the van insured. I am changing insurance companies and need to give them the value of the vehicle. It is a 2002 Ford Econoline 350 Sportsmobile with 289,000 miles. It recently had a lift kit added in 2020 and new larger tires with a rear spare tire mounted on a swing arm. The van has a pop top, Norcold electric refrigerator, propane stove, heater, and air conditioner in the rear, generator underneath, microwave, one house battery. Not sure what other features might need to be specified. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to our van group, thanks for joining us here on the forum. Our thoughts have been with you and family regarding Mike.
As others have said, lots of friendly people here to help answer any questions, so don't hesitate to ask anything.

Glad it has the RVIA decal so that you can get less costly motorhome registration/insurance.

Happy travels!
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:02 PM   #7

Is the insurance company asking for a replacement value of the van?
Old 04-04-2021, 10:52 PM   #8
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Hi and WELCOME! Glad your here! Youwillfind this place a wealth of knowledge by good folks that won't make fun of you for asking questions or for help...this place is the BEST! I use Foremost...they are used to insuring RV's etc..I just pd my yearly and it was almost $900 for full replacement, roadside, etc...hope it helps!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:37 AM   #9

I was able to get to Progressive's RV department. They provided a "stated value" policy for our home build (No RIVA sticker). The "normal" insurance group at Progressive was not helpful.

Somehow, four years ago, I burrowed my way into an agent that understands RV speak. Currently at ~ $900 for a $65k value. Probably need to increase that value based on recent sales. A claim would have to be supported by lots of pictures and receipts for our rig plus comps.

I miss Mike. Hope he has had a chance to look up Ramsey.