Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #11

Re: New to Forum -- couple of quick questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuerobert
Hi,
New here. Wife and I are new grandparents. Looking to buy a Sportsmobile for stealth camping
when visiting grandchild in Redwood City, Ca. Any thoughts on the viability of this plan?
Are you basically happy with the quality of the Sprinter Sportsmobiles? How easy are the porta-pottis to deal with?
Thanks,
Robert
congrats on your first post
and on being new grandparents

what exactly do you mean by "stealth camping" when visiting your grandchild?
do you plan to park the van in their driveway and sleep in the van rather than in their house?
Is this kind of like a Meet the Fockers thing with De Niro's RV, which was most impressive BTW?
not to worry, we all have a top security clearance so you can reveal your stealth plan to us

windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
holds 2.5 gal of water to flush
therefore 2.5 gal of waste

weights what 2.5 gal of water does
Think your math is a bit off there.
aw your right, but Roses and Flowers dont weigh much
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Quote:
Hi,
New here. Wife and I are new grandparents. Looking to buy a Sportsmobile for stealth camping
when visiting grandchild in Redwood City, Ca. Any thoughts on the viability of this plan?
Are you basically happy with the quality of the Sprinter Sportsmobiles? How easy are the porta-pottis to deal with?
Thanks,
Robert

do you plan to park the van in their driveway and sleep in the van rather than in their house?
Is this kind of like a Meet the Fockers thing with De Niro's RV, which was most impressive BTW?
not to worry, we all have a top security clearance so you can reveal your stealth plan to us

Daughter, son in law and grand daughter live in Small house so when we visit we are planning to sleep in new class b which will be parked on street. No extra beds in house.
Visits will be just one day and night; not planning to set up long time camping.
However don't want to upset neighbors ( like one could with big class c parked in small street)
Hope this explains our "stealth" camping.

Thanks,
Robert
rescuerobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks,
Robert

Daughter, son in law and grand daughter live in Small house so when we visit we are planning to sleep in new class b which will be parked on street. No extra beds in house.
Visits will be just one day and night; not planning to set up long time camping.
However don't want to upset neighbors ( like one could with big class c parked in small street)

Thanks,
Robert

I should have also added that the sportsmobile sprinter will not look particularly like a RV therefore adding to our "stealth" camping mode.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
holds 2.5 gal of water to flush
therefore 2.5 gal of waste

weights what 2.5 gal of water does
Think your math is a bit off there.
aw your right, but Roses and Flowers dont weigh much
I thought your math was based on a Budweiser only diet
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #16

Quote:

I should have also added that the sportsmobile sprinter will not look particularly like a RV therefore adding to our "stealth" camping mode.

Thanks,
Robert
Thanks for more intel on Operation Rug Rat
So the enemy is going to be any conflict with the neighbors.
One thing that's on your side is that you only plan to be there one night.
Even Mrs. Kravitz would have a hard time calling the cops over that one.

so you will be working the day shift with the family and can retreat at night to the bunker without waking up every two hours for patrol.

What amenities do you think you'll need in your van besides a bed and toilet?
Do you need a shower, cooking capability, lounging area?
What bed arrangement are you considering?
Will you use this van for other uses like camping or strictly urban use?

My initial thoughts are if this is your sole purpose for the vehicle, then the smaller the more stealthy, a regular Chevy/Ford type van. I may be wrong, but I think the perception of a Sprinter van is still a FedEx delivery vehicle because of the tall profile. It will draw more attention. I think that perception will change over time but it still looks like a commercial vehicle. Add more windows, more like a passenger van but still tall.

We plan to get a Sprinter EB van and need to evade our local neighbors' scrutiny and our Homeowner's Association (HOA). The HOA has rules against parking a "Camper Van" in your driveway.

I think the ready made Sprinter conversions like Roadtrek, Pleasureway and Vista Cruiser to name a few look more like an RV with lots of visible amenities and fancy paint jobs. With a custom SMB conversion, you can be discrete in your design if desired. In rambling, I guess one thing you could do is have someone stencil on the side of the van "Rescue Roberts Plumbing and Rootering - 24 hour Service"
The neighbors will just think this young couple is just flushing too many diapers down the drain
Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,
Robert
Thanks for more intel on Operation Rug Rat
So the enemy is going to be any conflict with the neighbors.
One thing that's on your side is that you only plan to be there one night.
Even Mrs. Kravitz would have a hard time calling the cops over that one.

so you will be working the day shift with the family and can retreat at night to the bunker without waking up every two hours for patrol.

What amenities do you think you'll need in your van besides a bed and toilet?
Do you need a shower, cooking capability, lounging area?
What bed arrangement are you considering?
Will you use this van for other uses like camping or strictly urban use?

My initial thoughts are if this is your sole purpose for the vehicle, then the smaller the more stealthy, a regular Chevy/Ford type van. I may be wrong, but I think the perception of a Sprinter van is still a FedEx delivery vehicle because of the tall profile. It will draw more attention. I think that perception will change over time but it still looks like a commercial vehicle. Add more windows, more like a passenger van but still tall.

We plan to get a Sprinter EB van and need to evade our local neighbors' scrutiny and our Homeowner's Association (HOA). The HOA has rules against parking a "Camper Van" in your driveway.

I think the ready made Sprinter conversions like Roadtrek, Pleasureway and Vista Cruiser to name a few look more like an RV with lots of visible amenities and fancy paint jobs. With a custom SMB conversion, you can be discrete in your design if desired. In rambling, I guess one thing you could do is have someone stencil on the side of the van "Rescue Roberts Plumbing and Rootering - 24 hour Service"
The neighbors will just think this young couple is just flushing too many diapers down the drain
Agree with you on the regular vans being more stealthy but wife prefers driving the Sprinter. The van will have other uses as well as grandchild visits. We have a son living in orange county that we will be visiting so would like to have a toilet and perhaps a shower. Don't think we need a stove but a microwave could prove useful. Looking at having a dinette setup. And our camping days are pretty much over so don't have to plan for that (I think!!)
Good luck with HOA agree that Sportsmobile can look the most like a regular vehicle as opposed to the RV look of Roadtrek etc.
Wife loved your Rescue Roberts plumbing idea!!!!

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #18

Quote:
"Rescue Roberts Plumbing and Rootering - 24 hour Service"
Rescue Roberts Baby Sitting and Diaper Care Service
It's your problem now!

Small Sprinter with the low roof would be your best bet. I'm always amazed at how many people don't "see" my van- as long as I don't put the PH up, it just sort of blends in. I've had people stand right next to both and go "wow, that's a nice Jeep" about my Jeep and not notice the van!

Anyway, I wouldn't underestimate the Mrs. Kravitzes of the world, but the more you can shurg and go "What's wrong with parking my car here?" the better. I think a Sprinter is good for that as long as it's not the hi-top, extended long version.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
...Don't think we need a stove but a microwave could prove useful...
If it's important to you to have your vehicle classified as an RV, be mindful of what you install or don't install. There are a few discussions in this forum about what items are ncessary to qualify as an RV. It can make a difference in your insurance, and your registration (in some states).

A little searching can hopefully clarify this for you. Or, give SMB a call.

Herb
Old 11-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Agree with you on the regular vans being more stealthy but wife prefers driving the Sprinter. The van will have other uses as well as grandchild visits. We have a son living in orange county that we will be visiting so would like to have a toilet and perhaps a shower. Don't think we need a stove but a microwave could prove useful. Looking at having a dinette setup. And our camping days are pretty much over so don't have to plan for that (I think!!)
Good luck with HOA agree that Sportsmobile can look the most like a regular vehicle as opposed to the RV look of Roadtrek etc.
Wife loved your Rescue Roberts plumbing idea!!!!
Thanks,
Robert
if your wife likes the Sprinter then go for it. buy in from the wife is 90% of the game.
I'd add the stove with propane just in case. better resale value too. propane heater too.
with your new Sprinter, you might end up taking more "camping" trips or doing more touring.
You may want to take your grandchild camping too, which would be a great experience for them.
have you considered how many seats (legal with belts) you will need in the van thinking towards the future. Is it just you two or will there be more?

Side question to the group - Does anyone know if an EB would have a smoother ride than an RB?
I was having an email discussion with another poster who said his wife had some back problems develop from riding in the Sprinter RB. Was just curious if the longer wheel base dampens out the ride some how.

High Roof vs Low Roof? How tall are you and your wife?