Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 09:28 AM   #1

New to me 7.3 SMB

Hi all, purchased a sportsmobile Labor Day weekend and have so many questions!

It’s a 97 with the 7.3 it was gutless when I got it and removing the doghouse revealed that the up-pipe flanges were not attached. Cinching those up made it drive normal thankfully.

I also cleaned up and re-oiled the K&N filters it had and changed out the fuel filter which was in pretty bad shape. (Worried I’ll need injector o-rings too based on its condition, but probably going to do a filter check in 1000miles or so and see how it’s doing)

I have a transmission code on (P1747) but no limp mode so I’m wondering if/how much to worry about that. It has a banks transcommand, wondering if that was there to mask an issue or if that could be causing the issue.

It has new wheels and tires that run so I need a fender solution before I can take it off road.

Also the whole reason for getting it is that I have a baby on the way and my Tacoma/FWC setup just wasn’t going to cut it with my two dogs. Unfortunately though it has the side rollover/gaucho. Looking at sienna seats and doing L-track the full length. Curious what folks think on that.

Oh and this thing bottoms out super easily and is quite jarring which I guess is a known issue…looking for the most reasonable solution to that. agile RIP seems super pricy! But maybe it’s worth it or maybe I can piece together an equivalent setup.

Also the paint is pretty rough, thinking of a rhinoliner job.

Anyway, looking forward to becoming part of the community but also sad to be parting ways with the Four Wheel Camper
Attached Thumbnails
351A76F4-ECD6-4661-894C-B93003CFC983.jpg   7CAD8876-2131-4350-A67D-CDBFD65A764F.jpg   3A703785-342B-4A8F-BB96-A5BCFFAAC5C9.jpg   BF6F7027-1847-47F5-8865-45AF6490EADB.jpg  

WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #2

Garage
Welcome and congrats on both the van and the baby on the way. Sounds like you are already getting to know your van. Can’t help with the Ford stuff, but if you ask in the appropriate forum I’m sure someone would help.

Not cheap options for quality suspension improvement I don’t believe. Another option might be Weldtec Designs, but not your cheap option. They are in El Cajon and Jeremy the owner is very knowledgeable, but also super busy.
https://weldtecdesigns.com
Old 09-16-2021, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Welcome and congrats on both the van and the baby on the way. Sounds like you are already getting to know your van. Can’t help with the Ford stuff, but if you ask in the appropriate forum I’m sure someone would help.

Not cheap options for quality suspension improvement I don’t believe. Another option might be Weldtec Designs, but not your cheap option. They are in El Cajon and Jeremy the owner is very knowledgeable, but also super busy.
https://weldtecdesigns.com
Thanks, it's going to be a wild ride for sure. Weldtec does seem pretty good, there store is heavily focused on 2wd lifts though, for some reason (typical southern california i guess), they're also super duper pricey it seems, but there are some things that you can only get from them so i can respect the niche pricing i suppose.
WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #4

Garage
Welcome. WTD does do a lot for 2wd, but they also do support 4wd. You could always call and ask about what you want. WTD will order you a Fox shocks valved for your vehicle weight. Not everything is on the website. I’ve bought some replacement parts not on the site, for instance.

The RIP was the solution many turned to.