Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #1

New to me (and new to forum) 06 SMB 6.0L passenger van, oil temp questions

Hello all! I've been stalking this site while doing my research for a purchase for our family and finally took delivery of a van last week. We got a 2006 sportsmobile with a 6.0L diesel, still set up as a chateau rather than RV. We used to have a 100 series land cruiser and after having a 2nd child last month decided we wanted more space. We used to go the roof top tent route before kids but now we tow a 2007 fleetwood evolution E1 pop up camping with us, so we wanted the passenger van setup. This particular van looks like was done by SMB in Texas? 190k miles and seems to have been well cared for based on the receipts. I was nervous about the 6.0L but decided with high Miles hopefully the kinks have been worked out, it does have an oil cooler and the Amsoil system in it.

I installed a scangauge ii right away when I got it to monitor temps. I'm in Phoenix so it's hot already of course and on the freeway I'm seeing EOT around 220 and coolant temp 215. I thought that seemed high but the dash gauge has it right in the middle. Lots of information on the 6L truck temps online but I couldn't find any on the vans. What does everyone else here with a SMB 6L see for temps? Anyone in hot climates specifically too would be great to hear from.

Appreciate the help and look forward to contributing!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2755.jpg   IMG_9938.jpg  

ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #2

Here is a discussion about 6.0 temps. Deeper in the thread there are links to even more discussion. If you don't find the answer your looking for just ask. Someone will probably know.

Congrats on the new to you Van.

Eric

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-6l-19087.html
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #3

Garage
I also watch my oil temp like a hawk. I am in NC so not as hot as Arizona but in the summer my normal temps are 206 to 210. It also depends on how fast I drive as well. If I do 75 on a summer day it will go up to 212 or so and when climbing a long hill will hit around 220 (223 is the highest I have seen it). If I drive 60-65 it will stay around 206-208....206 seems to the where it stays most of the time. My 6.0 has only the UJOINT upgrades/fixes (EGR delete/tuner/scanguage/pyro meter...etc) to it but other than that it is stock and I am at 174,000 miles or so. I normally do all my traveling in the winter months and have the opposite problem sometimes of the oil and water temp staying to low. When temps are below zero it will sometimes not get over 140....so the heater in the van will not blow warm enough air to keep heat in the van. Hope my answer helps a little.
Shyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

Ahh these links are exactly what I was looking for. I did a search for "engine oil temps" before and didn't really find anything. Maybe I was too specific. Sounds like my temp readings are well within the range of normal. This being my first diesel ever I was a little alarmed as I was used to 200 degrees max or so with the land cruiser when towing. So this van being 222 or so on flat freeway no towing I thought was high.

I'm going to get a new radiator cap right away too!

Thanks for the replies! We are excited to take her camping soon, but realistically will have to wait until baby is a little bigger so I'll just get myself a to-do list for the winter in the meantime with little improvements I want to make.
ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, oil temperature