Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #11

Great forum! Great advice!
My current thinking:
1. I've bought a one-way ticket to check out the E350...I'll post pics/specs if I get it. It is totally worthy as a rock-crawler, lightly used, and has some very nice upfits as a camper/road traveler. I really like exploring forest service roads and BLM lands even though I'm not much into 4-wheeling for 4-wheeling's sake. Nice thing about older van is I don't worry about minor dings and scratches.
2. The transit with Quigley or Quadvan 4x4 is still a great option and the reviews are mostly really good. Would probably satisfy 95% of my needs and desires.

DonnaDevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
...Your investment in an E-series will not have the staying power that an investment in a Transit will have.
I agree with most everything you said other than what I quoted. Only because I’ve seen the prices for what I bought in 2012 almost double for what I paid for my van. That could very well taper off and bottom out if the vanlife trend dies out, but there’s something about these 4wd econolines that people love. I don’t consider any of them any worse of an investment than any other modified vehicle. Hell some of the civics I’ve owned are so popular now I regret selling some of them for what I did. Wouldn’t have guessed such a mass produced car would ever be worth anything, but I have people trying to buy my old pos every time I drive it. It floors me I have a list of people lined up to buy an 1989 car when I’m done with it

That said the eco boost setup is nice. I haven’t driven the transit but have plenty of time in the f150s. Are the two comparable at all or is the transit completely different?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #13

Maybe MG's modesty kept him from mentioning it, so I'll do it for him...

Michael, what about your Expovans 4x4 Transit conversion as another option?

Donna if I were considering a Transit 4x4, I know MG's is the way I would go.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Maybe MG's modesty kept him from mentioning it, so I'll do it for him...

Michael, what about your Expovans 4x4 Transit conversion as another option?

Donna if I were considering a Transit 4x4, I know MG's is the way I would go.
Yes, we will have a working 4x4 conversion for the Transit soon-ish. Not ready to start taking orders yet though. Lots of cool parts have been showing up from the machine shop and I've been busy finalizing the details of the custom steering knuckle. Lots to do still but it is starting to come together. Can't wait to show it off!
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
I agree with most everything you said other than what I quoted. Only because I’ve seen the prices for what I bought in 2012 almost double for what I paid for my van. That could very well taper off and bottom out if the vanlife trend dies out, but there’s something about these 4wd econolines that people love. I don’t consider any of them any worse of an investment than any other modified vehicle. Hell some of the civics I’ve owned are so popular now I regret selling some of them for what I did. Wouldn’t have guessed such a mass produced car would ever be worth anything, but I have people trying to buy my old pos every time I drive it. It floors me I have a list of people lined up to buy an 1989 car when I’m done with it

That said the eco boost setup is nice. I haven’t driven the transit but have plenty of time in the f150s. Are the two comparable at all or is the transit completely different?
I can't disagree, I like E-series too, but I think the values have started to go down. That's just my opinion from what I've seen. Actually, though, I quickly racked up 100k in my Transit and the value of it has gone way down too. Also, of course, it depends on where you are. You NW and W folks have higher values on your vans anyway. Oh, and this, I think the popularity of the 4wd Sprinters is what will drive all other van values down. They aren't for me but it seems everyone is jumping on that bandwagon and lots of E-series are getting sold lately.

I have not driven an F150 with an Ecoboost ever, but I'd sure love to!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #16

I’d get a sprinter 4x4 but I’d be too scared to take it anywhere. There aren’t enough mb dealers or shops let alone sprinter ones if you ever had a problem. A ford on the other hand could be fixed anywhere in the America’s pretty much.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
Spr

All the points mentioned are great. For what it’s worth I often think a high top transit would be great (this was decided after seeing 86scottys van in W Virginia) but then I drive my E series and think I’m crazy for even letting the thought of getting a high top cross my mind. With that said we have the pop top so when we make camp I can stand on the van. There are so many pros and cons for both but the adventures we’ve had off road are some of the best vacation memories I have and wouldn’t trade them for anything.
Also, I absolutely love the way the e series drives. It’s not my daily driver and I don’t expect it to act like such. Our van has seen almost every state in the US and it still amazes me how much I love driving it.
The high top transit (or similar) is also amazing and just so easy to move around in etc. totally different in so many respects.
To Eric’s point of a lot of e series getting sold from what I’ve seen most are getting sold right away which tells me there is still a market for them....
Also keep in mind as these van life millennials in sprinters, transits and promasters all grow up and have kids I’m sure there will be a lot of them for sale as well.
At the end of the day it’s an automobile and values will depreciate. We are all crazy and take the risk of that. The experiences gained far out way the potential financial loss. Knowing that it’s up to you what type of experiences you want to gain. Either way you can’t go wrong... I say buy both :-)
Shaun
2010 RB SMB 4x4
Old 10-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #18

Great, you guys are making me second guess my 2 year old purchase of my E series...........I admit there is a bit of envy when I see the next gen vans and how they are appointed.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #19

Nah Flux, with where you live, when the siren song of the desert or Baja calls you'll be glad you went with an Agile E350!
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #20

No regrets at all. And I can say the Agile is really great on the highway. But I do admire the modern vans for what they offer. But my van right now is everything I wanted it to be......except for the stuff I have yet to add in my build, bumpers and finished interior etc.

Most important part I think is getting a van that best suits your needs and then using the hell out of it!! There may come a day when I have a transit or sprinter along with my E series in the driveway. Never say never.