Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #1

Newbie from Florida

Hello, a belated Merry Christmas / Happy Festivus and Happy New Year to all!

I recently bought a super-clean 2013 Ford E350 Extended Cargo van with high top; it's a 5.4L with just over 90K miles.

I had been thinking / day-dreaming about buying a van like this for a while but was not seriously looking for one, when all of the sudden this one popped up on my radar. Over the past year I hadn't seen many high-tops come up for sale, so on somewhat of an impulse I pulled the trigger & bought it.

I don't plan on doing a 4x4 conversion, nor do I plan tricking it out anywhere to the degree that many of you do, but nonetheless I'm stilling feeling a bit overwhelmed with the seemingly endless choices and decisions one has to make. So much so that I'm actually feeling a bit of "buyer's remorse".

My biggest challenge is that I don't have the tools, skills, knowledge or experience required to convert this into a "stealth RV", nor the big money required to pay a full-on legit van conversion company to do the work for me. I'm hoping to find a handyman-type person I can pay buy the hour or job to help me with this...wish me luck (i'm gonna' need it!!).
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Van.jpg  

Doug-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

Garage
Congrats and welcome. Nice van.

Good thing is there is no need to rush and you could start out very minimalist and add as you go along.

Lots of good info here as I'm sure you know.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #3

Garage
I think you've got all you need if you've managed to combine your Van with the "Pic test" you posted...
Old 12-30-2018, 07:06 AM   #4

Where in Fl?. Nice truck! Dont get overwhelmed, you have a clean slate, look at it as an adventure! Start looking at other trucks and see what you like and dont like to suit your needs for upcoming adventures. How many people, sleeping, cooking in the van or outside at the campsite, water needs, electric needs, storage for the toys, bathroom or portapottie, communications,entertainment, navigation. Make a list of priorities and a budget. You can custom build your van to match or out do any $150k rig rolling down the highway at a fraction of the cost. Im in Orlando, lets talk, Flipperfla1@gmail.com
Flipperfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #5

Nice score! Hard to find a high top van that’s not a wheelchair lift van with the extended height doors.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Nice score! Hard to find a high top van that’s not a wheelchair lift van with the extended height doors.
Yea, that was one of the reasons why I pulled the trigger & bought it. Plus the fact that it didn't have windows (except in the rear).

While I understand all the reasons why people like windows (ability to enjoy the view, less claustrophobia), in big cities smash & grab robberies are such a problem I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my van unattended for the day while I'm out exploring. I expect 85%+ of my time in the van will be spent sleeping, in which case (for me anyway) windows are a negative factor.

Another plus is that the van already has two fan-tastic vents (with temperature & rain sensors) installed on the high-top.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipperfla View Post
Where in Fl?. Nice truck!

Im in Orlando, lets talk, Flipperfla1@gmail.com
Thanks!

I'm in the Ocala / Villages area. Actually I may be going to Orlando this upcoming week, if you're around maybe we can meet for coffee somewhere. Regardless, sending you an email momentarily.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #8

Awesome van. There are a few of in in florida. Start by building a bed then figure out what you need as you use it. There are many examples of wood platform bed and Ikea type furniture in the web. As you go, you can learn and experiment/ research what you want.
Brianf7028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #9

Mornin and welcome I agree with brianf7028 & marret,keep it simple and get some adventures under your belt before over thinking it ! I have similar van to yours hightop with without slider that was already converted to a fully self contained class b.if it was me first thing I would get is a high cooling btu roof a/c (or at least some quality vent fans) that you can plug in at a proper campground with electric hook ups or use a portable generator (dry camp) with since I don’t see any window operable windows except front? i think Coleman Mach 8 which is a heat pump(means it has a/c & heating) is a great unit,I did some research and it’s what I plan on replacing the one I have with since it’s rated up to 115 degrees and I go to the California desert a lot.i have a propane heater in mine already but I’m buying it more for cooling abilities.last thought if you keep it minamalist/modular then you can move things around inside until your finally happy with layout or if you decide to sell van you will have several groups of people that would want it,campers/ ordelivery companies/contractors can easily remove the few things you installed,thx
Attached Thumbnails
306B3A6B-0F9F-45F1-8A30-53771E01F952.jpg  
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote