Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #1

Newbie from Upstate NY

Hi All, I have been reading this forum for a couple of months getting a crash course in all things SMB. Yesterday I found and placed a deposit on my dream machine, a 4X4 Sprinter RB 150s with the PH. If all goes as planned my wife and I plan to pick it up around the end of Feb, then get to know it, and enjoy it as we camp our way back home. I appreciate all of the great advice and knowledge that forum members are willing to share here, it has been invaluable as we made our purchase decision.

Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #2

Welcome, and congratulations! Which location will be doing your build?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #3

Congrats and welcome.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #4

Garage
Congrats and welcome as well. Look forward to seeing your SMB.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #6

Thanks for the welcome, I delayed replying because I was concerned I might jinx the deal in progress for the Sprinter. So I decided to wait until it was parked in my driveway. The story is that I found a very low mileage SMB Sprinter listed on the SMB Texas preowned pages, we liked the SMB Sprinters, but couldn't wait 18 months to have one built. It's a 2017 4X4 RB150S with the Penthouse and it only had 680 miles on it! It's still listed on the SMB preowned page. The build had a few things that I wouldn't have have included (snorkel, remote start), and some that I like that I might have passed on (Aluminess box and tire carrier). We got on the phone and made the deal then waited four weeks to get a window of time when we could make the journey to pick it up. Finally the day came, we rented a car, loaded it with camping gear, and our dog and set out for Austin from Syracuse NY. We arrived at SMB at noon on a Monday and spent the afternoon getting a crash course on the various systems from Grant and Paul, and they really did a great job. Then we spent our first night at Mckinney Falls state park. Next day back to Sportsmobile for a few small issues, and a lot of questions. We spent the next five days camping our way back home, while learning all the way. Now that we are home I'm still sorting out some of the details, mainly with the electrical systems, and planning for some upgrades, mainly a heater. I have pretty much decided that the Espar D2 in the passenger pedstal would be the best fit. I'm also not sure that the refrigerator is working properly on AC, maybe a Norcold service dealer can check it out? Anyway we are ready to get out and start using this rig.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #7

Congratulations on finding a work-around to the long, long wait times. I went to the SMB Texas web site and saw a few pictures, of course you know that more are required! Looking forward to reading about your observations and findings as you begin to learn the rig.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
WELCOME to the club!!....Best "new Option" we have bought for the SMB/Sporty, is the "Ultimate Campground" app....another member suggested and man-o-man I am SO HAPPY they did! The app includes State parks, National, BLM (our favorite/PERFECT SMB campgrounds cause you can almost camp anywhere on those lands out west) ...we (also) bought the "Canada Ultimate Campground" app for we love to camp up North...good luck and happy SMB'ing!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
Then we spent our first night at Mckinney Falls state park. Next day back to Sportsmobile for a few small issues, and a lot of questions. We spent the next five days camping our way back home, while learning all the way.
Probably the smartest thing I've read in a while...camping within arms length of the seller to make sure all works is intended, and returning after the first night to get clarification.
Wish I had done the same since I had more questions the first two days of use, I felt overwhelmed. The group here is experienced and insightful - this Forum is where I have had almost all my questions answered, and uncovered much knowledge simply by reading through "posts".
Welcome!