Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #1

newbie wannabie questions

Thinking about SMB and Roadtrek. Obviously, people here must prefer SMBs. Can you share why?

Some thoughts I have had so far:

I am looking initially to buy used, try it out a bit, see if I really like Class B's. Roadtreks tend to come better equipped with generators, ac, etc.

SMBs with penthouse can fit in a regular garage, I believe. May also have more ground clearance. Am I right about these things?

Two other questions if people don't mind:

How much more trouble is 4 wheel drive, maintenance, etc.?

How do SMBs hold up to cold weather? Does all the water have to be taken out?

Thanks.

Walter

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #2

newbie questions

Welcome to the forum. I don't have my SMB yet, it should be ready in a week or two. However, I did look at the Roadtrek and it seemed to me that an SMB would provide me with a class B that was closer to my needs for a little less money. (no genset or a/c) I will use solar to charge the battery when camped.

I will not have 4WD but believe that the clearance will handle gravel & dirt roads that are in fairly good condition & not too steep. I have a jeep for 4WD stuff.

I'm sure I'll have to drain the F.W. system this winter, as it can get down to zero here in Fallon. I'm guessing that i could camp in the low 20's and be ok as my SMB will have a propane furnace. We'll see.

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get lot's more info on 4WD and your other topics.

Philrod

waiting for a E350 V10 RB50
philrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #3

Newbie SMB questions

Walter, a two wheel drive SMB is probably garagable, but a 4WD SMB is too tall for all but custom garages. Mine is 7 feet 8 inches tall without a rack on top, and I have smaller tires than many 4X4ers.

I too looked at Roadtreks before buying an SMB. They are more luxurious than a SMB, but I found them claustrophobic compared to an SMB with a penthouse top.

I also measured ground clearances and the Roadtreks tended to have 5 or 6 inches of clearance max, while the minimum clearance on my 4X4 SMB is 12 inches at the front differential.

If I would have wanted more luxury (like a full bathroom), I think I would have gone for a SMB Sprinter from Sportsmobile Texas before buying a regular Roadtrek.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:02 AM   #4

The main reason that we chose a SportsMobile over a RoadTrek was that there was a used Chevrolet in good condition at a price that we could afford and a floor plan that we could live with. I also like the lower profile of the SportsMobile and, if I were buying a new one, the choice of floorplans. Finally, opening up all of the windows in the penthouse and getting the airflow through the van makes me feel like I'm really camping.
dkrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #5

walter
interesting comparative,
rt v. smb.
imho, they target different markets...
what is in the rt that interests you?
in the smb?
the rt now comes with 4x4 as option - by quigley.
as for off roading, i would not do it in the rt, the attached raised roof, dropped floor pan, and all that beautiful cabinetry would not come out from an off road excusion all intact....
i like the smb for its off road capabilites and ability to customize.....
also, there is http://www.gtrv.com/ for consideration...
Old 09-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #6

Well and the Tiger which is in a different thread.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=346
Old 09-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the feedback. My inclination is to get away from it all, which seems to be more the smb's thing, but I like what a road trek comes with. I need to find a way to see an smb up close. I am 5 hours from Fresno, kind of a hike...
Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110
Thanks for all of the feedback. My inclination is to get away from it all, which seems to be more the smb's thing, but I like what a road trek comes with. I need to find a way to see an smb up close. I am 5 hours from Fresno, kind of a hike...
Where are you located? I'm sure there are people in your area that would be willing to show you theirs. If you are in the San Diego area (5 hours is about right), we will have our new SMB in about 1 month and I would gladly show it to you.

That all being said, going to the SMB factory is very worthwhile. You will be able to see many different configurations, options and stages of the build. Furthermore, you will be able to talk to some very knowledgeable and friendly people. The Roadtreck and SMB are both expensive vehicles, so being well informed is obviously to your advantage.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #9

Thanks SDWindandsea, I would love to take you up on that. I live in the UTC area.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110
Thanks SDWindandsea, I would love to take you up on that. I live in the UTC area.
Not a problem at all. We live in Ocean Beach, so only about 20 minutes away from you. We are scheduled to pickup the van the weekend of 10/19. I'm sure I will post some pictures after that, so just reply to that topic and we can get in touch. Or, you are always more than welcome to send me a private message here and I will give you my email.